Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Not having to trim the grille is a great improvement . . . photos (with grille installed) please!

Well done!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Here's the first one, driver's side, with the untouched grille:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll get the whole grille tomorrow.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Paul, again many thanks!

I already have the mustang adjuster kits in hand.

I Just ordered the Hella bulbs that you linked.

Instill need to get ceramic headlamp plugs.......
I will cannabilize my 94 Toyota Pickup for buckets.

Great job!
Especially With the "no grill cut" modification.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Here is what they look like up close.

They look like they are standing a little proud of the highbeam but in reality it's not so noticeable. More a function of their size and how bright and clean they are.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Alrighty, then. I've been a bit stubborn about recognizing the shortcomings of the stock rectangular low beams (even with relays and 80 lamps) but after a long, dark drive on curvy two-lanes on the Olympic Peninsula, I'm ready for a change that maintains the stock look (I'm not a fan of the SA kit and I already had rounds in my '85 for 16 years so I like this solution a lot).

I've ordered:

Jay Browns wiring adapter (edited per Jay's advice below)...
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrela...ht-harness

Hella H4 headlight kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001G72VIK/ref=ox_s...PDKIKX0DER

Ford buckets...
http://www.amazon.com/TYC-22-1040-Econoline-Headli...h&sr=1

Mustang adjusters...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014HM52HM/ref=ox_s...69ULF79CYW

I'll keep y'all posted on progress.

Thanks to lemoncove, paulbeard and others for leading the way on this!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Fri May 27, 2016 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

That is the wrong harness. This is the one you want: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrela...ht-harness The H4 to 9004 harness only works to convert the outer lights when changing from rectangular (86-91) lights to 7" round.

I have friends coming for the weekend so I won't be able to ship until Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
That is the wrong harness. This is the one you want: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrela...ht-harness The H4 to 9004 harness only works to convert the outer lights when changing from rectangular (86-91) lights to 7" round.

I have friends coming for the weekend so I won't be able to ship until Tuesday after the holiday weekend.

Oh. I was following lemoncove's recommendation on the first page of this thread. I'll be going from the stock plug to the Hella H4 high/low lamp. Is that still the incorrect harness?

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Yes. The South African Grill Harness uses ceramic H4 sockets for the outer lights and standard 1/4" terminals with nylon housings that will work perfectly with the stock inner high beam lights.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Yes. The South African Grill Harness uses ceramic H4 sockets for the outer lights and standard 1/4" terminals with nylon housings that will work perfectly with the stock inner high beam lights.

Got it. Thanks for setting me straight! I'll change my order.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:

Jay, thanks for the speedy shipment! I received the wiring harnesses today and get to work on my headlights tonight! Much appreciated. Hope you had a good weekend.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

While doing this mod, I disected my US OEM rectangular high/low beams to see what it looked like. Needless to say, the reflector is no longer in prime reflecting condition. These headlights were not safe to drive at 55 mph on dark, curvy roads.

Abscate wrote:

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

No, the one I tossed in the recycling was terrible and I didn't have to break the glass to see it. Rust and crud all over the reflector. You had to stand right in front of it to see if it was on.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Headlights (or any other part of any vehicle that has ever been built) are not designed to last 25-30 years.

If it makes you feel any better, most current generation plastic lensed headlights are designed to last about 4-5 years in sunny areas (Florida, Arizona etc) before the hardcoat on the exterior of the lens starts to get hazy and yellow. Once the factory hardcoat is damaged, plan on "restoring" the headlights every 6 months or so if you want them to work at all...

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Headlights (or any other part of any vehicle that has ever been built) are not designed to last 25-30 years.

My steering wheel has held up just fine for over a quarter million miles (waiting for the horn ring to fail) Very Happy

Point well taken though. It's just a matter of keeping up with the bits as they wear out.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

I've finished the H4 mod described by Lemoncove, Paulbeard and others and am pleased with the result.

1 - I wanted to maintain the rectangular headlights. They fit the model year and design language of the Vanagon (boxy!). While not perfect, I'll gladly take the improved visibility over the oem units.
2 - The best-fit option may be Euro spec oem Vanagon rectangles, but given my dissection of the 25 year old fixtures, I'm not sure they'd be a lot better. Also, they're not easy to find.

Pics...

Headlight adjuster units installed (from the back)...

From the front...

From the back with the bucket...

Belt and suspenders (two springs)...

H4 on the right, oem on the left. On the road is a world of difference!

H4s installed on both sides (using trim rings)...

A big "Thank you!" to Lemoncove and Paulbeard for leading the way in this safety enhancement!!!

Abscate wrote:

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

^^^^
What he said.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

I am doing my Hella conversion now using 94 Toyota PickUp Buckets.
I blinded the poor truck!

There are nuances that vary from the jeep/Ford buckets but it is so totally workable.

Right now I'm weighing the trim ring or no trim ring option. My bucket contacts 3 of the Hella bolt points nicely...... One, not so nicely.
But the trim ring screws interfere with bucket placement and grill mounting.

I painted one trim ring flat black, I like it.

Anyway.......

Toyota lights......

They were quite rusted and required heat and candle wax to get the ring screws out....... I retapped the buckets to the 4mm x .75 screws.....

I painted one trim ring flat black...... I like!

Now, I'm being anal about alignment of the new low beam assembly, but honestly? Look at what I'm running now!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

The Hella 6052 replacement is darn near the identical height as the VW headlamp, within 1/16" which is really..... Nothing.

The Hella is only maginally more narrow but the ends are convex instead of straight......... This makes them appear a lot more narrow......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Applause Applause

So you do have mounting affordances on the lights themselves? I haven't seen what the backs of yours look like and I never took a picture of mine. Embarassed

I found that a short (3/8 or less) screw was enough to hold the headlight to the bucket, given there were four points of contact and I had more faith in that than the trim rings. So far, so good. Nothing has come loose or fallen out. Pray

Looking good and I think you'll be very pleased when you get them on the road.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: