Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx KickOut Build Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Last July during the 2016 Big Bear Bash, my buggy started to run very poorly and all attempts to correct it only left me frustrated.

During disassembley of the body, I drained and removed the gas tank. Before removing the tank, I looked inside to verify all the fuel was out and I was shocked when I saw all of the black crap.

It would appear that the gasket for the fuel level sending unit didn't like the fresh California summer blend ethanol from the last night of the event when I topped off the tank with fuel. Most of the gasket was sitting at the bottom of the tank plugging the screen.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

SoCal67Volks wrote:
Last July during the 2016 Big Bear Bash, my buggy started to run very poorly and all attempts to correct it only left me frustrated.

During disassembley of the body, I drained and removed the gas tank. Before removing the tank, I looked inside to verify all the fuel was out and I was shocked when I saw all of the black crap.

It would appear that the gasket for the fuel level sending unit didn't like the fresh California summer blend ethanol from the last night of the event when I topped off the tank with fuel. Most of the gasket was sitting at the bottom of the tank plugging the screen.

Ethanol is very harsh on 'regular' rubber and we've gone through at least 1 fuel sending unit and a couple of fuel lines. We found that running FI fuel lines has helped but you are correct, many of the 'vintage' parts are not compatible with today's ethanol blends...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Parking Brake is done.

One my favorite details of the Manxchassis is how the chassis tubes narrow for the seating area to allow for larger seats but the down side of this key feature is you don't have as much room for fuel lines, brake lines, shift rod and parking brake cables as you would in the stock tunnel. There was no way to use the stock shift rod and even at 1/2", things were too crowded.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

After the past couple months of sitting on a couple Saw-Horses, the chassis finally got its wheels on and its feet touched the ground for the first time today.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

WOW Jim, that's an impressive build!
If you're not careful you'll raise the bar out of sigbt.for us mere mortals.
Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
WOW Jim, that's an impressive build!
If you're not careful you'll raise the bar out of sigbt.for us mere mortals.
Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

Thanks Paul
OCD: a terrible thing to waste

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

This weeks setback...
I had a couple spares and I cleaned up my favorite, this German 1970 AS41 bus case only to find out it had already been line bored .060" over and the center main was shot.

I had the rest of my cases inspected and none of them were acceptable. I bought a new aluminum AS41 dual relief case (only $40 more than the mag case) and rushed it to Rimco to have it machined to accept the 90.5 barrels. Rimco has had all of the rotating assembly for balance and I hope to start building in the next couple days.

The plan:
Autolina AS41 Aluminum Case
90.5mm thick wall barrels / pistons
74mm CB forged stroker crank
5.325" forged short rods (no barrel shims req)
Engle 110 cam
1.1 ratio forged CB rockers
Dual Dellorto 40

Last night I was taking stock of the engine components when a question that a friend had asked came to mind: "How much of of the original donor vehicle did you use?" After searching high and low I finally found it: The generator backing plate.

2017 Big Bears Bash is only 4 weeks away (no pressure, right?)

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

I am Impressed.. you do absolutely beautiful work.. OCD ??? umm yes.. I have same issue.. I will spend hrs looking for 2 bolts that are exactly the same to hold something together that I will never lay eyes on again..or use two different size washers.. Love the build.. will be following
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

JetBoat: Thank You!
As far back as I can remember I've had this affliction. When I was young, my father would bring his friends through the garage to show them the shenanigans I was up to at the time and as they would leave he would always say; "That kid is an expert at making honey out of $hit!"

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

SoCal67Volks wrote:
JetBoat: Thank You!
As far back as I can remember I've had this affliction. When I was young, my father would bring his friends through the garage to show them the shenanigans I was up to at the time and as they would leave he would always say; "That kid is an expert at making honey out of $hit!"
I spent 4 hrs polishing 1 of the dual carb intakes the other night.. just because I could make it shine like a babysass OCD is a good thing.. at times
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

(VWJetBoat: Like this?)

Matched the intake manifold ports to head today. OCD kicked in (again) and had to make the outside look as good as the inside. Tomorrow I attack the other side.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

yep.. exactly lol.. Your intakes look like nice smooth castings.. wish I could have started out like that.. would have save about 3 hours labor.. so nice to hold too huh? the smoothness after all shinny.. makes you feel a real accomplishment .. not just in looks.. it feels so so good.. lol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

All of the machine work and balancing is done so the engine assembling begins.
The new aluminum case must be close to 20lbs heavier than the magnesium and should run 20 degrees hotter but it accepted a 74mm crank without clearancing

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

very nice..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

I took my Dellorto's up to Rick (mcdragracer) for a complete rebuild and I'm very impressed with his work. Rick payed special attention to the details of my engine, how I intend to use it and recalibrateed the carbs accordingly.

With the long block all buttoned up, it's time for all of the tin work and accessories. The fan shroud is a Type 181 "Thing" replica with a large doghouse that accepts a type 4 oil cooler. The case is a little beefy on top and getting the should to fit took some massaging.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Sure is perty Jim.
If it runs half as good as it looks you'll be wearing a perma-smile!!!
Check with your dentist, see if bug removal is part of his service.... Very Happy
Gonna be ready for Big Bear?

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Can you tell us a little more about the fan shroud. Was it a custom job or something new on the market?

Thanks! And it is looking great!

Looking forward to hearing you review of that aluminum case once you are up and running. I am going to build one also for next years NORRA race and wondering how much hotter in reality it does run.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Are my eyes deceiving me Jim or is there still an intake manifol yet to be polished???
With all the other glitters it's tough to tell!

Still think it is all too pretty to actually drive and get dusty/dirty/muddy!

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Are my eyes deceiving me Jim or is there still an intake manifol yet to be polished???
With all the other glitters it's tough to tell!

Still think it is all too pretty to actually drive and get dusty/dirty/muddy!

I was going to ask.. but didn't .. I noticed that.. I still have 1 polished.. 1 dull to...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

I'm still mocking things up but the offending manifold has been dealt with.
(My, my... aren't we perceptive)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: