Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx KickOut Build Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
Can you tell us a little more about the fan shroud. Was it a custom job or something new on the market?

Thanks! And it is looking great!

Looking forward to hearing you review of that aluminum case once you are up and running. I am going to build one also for next years NORRA race and wondering how much hotter in reality it does run.

I've been on the hunt for either a type 181 or Puma fan shroud for a couple years now and everything I found was either overpriced or overused. While searching the WWW, I found a Canadian group that was reproducing the Type 181 style and the US distributor was AA Perfomance (AA Pistons): https://aapistons.com/collections/dog-houses/produ...il-cooler. I'm very happy with the quality and attention to detail (vanes & baffles). One of the major selling points was the type 4 oil cooler that I hope will help offset the some increased operating temps associated with the aluminum case. The doghouse is over 1/2" larger to fit the oil cooler and will be extremely tight in my Manx and may cause issues in a stock body sedan.

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

You obviously have much more VW engine experience than me so can you please explain the logic or compare the Thing shroud and type 4 cooler vs a separate remote cooler and fan?
Since you seem concerned about clearance with your body was wondering if the change was worthwhile....and of how much value vs other routes.
Feel free to chime in with your thoughts as well Joe!
Trying to educate myself without making rookie mistakes in logic...
Thanks

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

The factory units are very well engineered with special consideration to vane size, shape and placement to assure proper airflow to across of the critical areas. Until I found this fan shroud, I haven't found an aftermarket fan shroud that can match the cooling performance of the OEM units.

In addition to air flow, our little flat four engines also rely on oil to keep them cool. The type 4 oil coolers have close to 20% more surface area that I hope will offset the lessor heat transfer of the aluminum case.

As far as external oil coolers & clearance issues, I'm trying to keep all of the external dangly bits (with exception of the full flow oil filter) to a minimum. My buggies also serve double duty as my engine break-in stand / on road dyno for my sedan engines. It's so much easier to break in, diagnose or adjust valves for my new sedan engines in the Manx before wrapping a car around them. Keeping the engine simple, compact and easy to swap is my personal preference.

My favorite comment from the TV show "Chasing Classic Cars" was from the older technician while working on a Porsche 356 was: "German Cars don't like clever things"

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

After two weeks of assembling and disassembling (6 times at last count), I'm done with this engine.
It was a very happy day taking the engine off of the stand.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

The engine is in at last!
Setting up the throttle cable was a breeze without the body. The throttle stop of the pedal and carbs are now matched. Fuel lines are next. I'm going to run the engine and break it in before mounting the body.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

It's crunch time.......Are you planning on Big Bear this year????

Looking really nice!!!!!!

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Thank you!
Yes, I'm driving this thing to Big Bear in 10 days.

(....and yes, I'm nervous!)

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

We're cheering you on Jim!
That thing is looking awesome, is a great testament to your anal retentiveness Very Happy
Sorry we can't be there to assist...."many hands make light work"...but could never figure what hands had to do with electricity!

Paul

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

The chassis is complete and one last look before it's covered up.

vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

engine all broke in ? great build man..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
engine all broke in ? great build man..

Sort of... after my cam break-in, I'm on my second oil change and filter. I want to get it out onto the street for 300 miles before the last oil/filter change & valve adjustment.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

The body was mounted (at long last) back onto the new chassis. From the very beginning I'd planned on building this Manx as a sports car. After the body was mounted I finally got to see the stance I've wanted since day one.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

A "BEFORE" Pic prior to the new stance (& new engine):

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Looks pretty sweet Jim!
Sorry we can't be at Big Bear to watch you and Shelley in your debut.
I'm sure Bruce will be proud to sign this as another one of his offspring!
Pictures of the event please......

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

More detail curiosity questions.....
I see your remote oil filter mounted in front of the the left side of the motor.
I presume the intent was less chance of knocking it off than when mounted low at the rear?
What type of mount did you use?
Routing and type of oil lines?
Your picture chronology skipped those details....😊

PS....seems my old eyes are paying tricks. I now notice the filter at the rear in your last photo. Reason for change? Obviously you did a rethink......

Paul

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

While I was fitting the cooling tins, I realized that the lower tins that mount to the engine case also needed the heater box (that I'm not using) for their outer mounting points as well as keep the air flowing the way Wolfsburg intended.

I used some sheet metal to form my own air deflectors. They seemed a natural for doing double duty as a place to secure my full flow lines. The filter mount is a simple aluminum hanger we've been using on our sedans for 30 years http://socalautoparts.com/shop/oil-system/filters-...-aluminum/

The plumbing is standard aircraft AN -6 and I went with the cloth braided line that's rated at 3X the pressure & temps that I'll ever see and it's much easier to cut and assemble than the braided stainless lines (& fewer band-aides!). The oil filter is the cheapest money can buy. I go thru 2 of them before the car leaves the garage. The Framm HP3 that I'll drive with is half the size of the break-in filters and will be level with the bottom of the engine case. Moving the filter forward just cleans everything up / gets rid of the clutter.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

It's now the day before the 2017 Big Bear Bash, I'm out of time and never had a chance to break in the rings. I usually flat tow but the new chassis mounts to the front beam at the same spot my tow bar used. My wife couldn't make the trip this year so she, my truck and tools stayed home. I took a quick shower, a leap of faith and (my AAA Card) took off for my solo 150 mile trip from sea level to Big Bear Lake at 6752 feet elevation.

From the beginning I had a lean condition in 1st & 2nd gear but the first third of the trip was stop & go traffic that gave me plenty of time to figure different shift points and how to just "tickle" the accelerator pump for an extra drop of fuel to keep the snapping and popping at bay. Once past the traffic I could open her up. This thing pulls like a freight train and at 70 mph is smooth as silk (all the balancing paid off!). The round trip totaled 350 miles, averaged 24 mpg and didn't use a single drop of oil.

Engine: Very Happy.

During the climb up the mountain the 4000, 5000 and 6000 foot elevation markers seemed to fade away at one minute intervals. I was accelerating past 50 mph on a straight stretch and looking at the speedometer when a 10mph hairpin to the right caught me off guard. I grabbed a gear and inititated my turn but got caught a small rise in the asphalt at the apex. I had daylight under all four wheels but she flew flat, settled softly and the torque pulled me up the hill without any drama whatsoever. Although my heart rate never changed or skipped a beat, it took over ten minutes to get the silly grin off my face.

Chassis: Extreemly Happy!

Manx102
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Congratulations on your very nicely done Kick-Out and a wonderful first trip with your buggy.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Nice work!!!! ....No.....Excellent Work!!!!!!!!!!!

That buggy was a beauty last year and it looks top notch again this year.

Too bad all that chassis work is mostly covered......

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Thanks, Guys!

This was a fun adventure. The last week was grueling, I was sick as a dog but the Big Bear Bash was on the horizon and I had to press on. After getting it home I found both inboard CV boots leaking grease. I must've pinched them during assembly.

Catching up on chores, I haven't touched the car in over 24 hours but each time I go into the garage, I get a big dopey smile on my face!

Man, this car is fun to drive!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: