Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx KickOut Build Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countdown to Big Bear is now down to 9 days.
First attempt at a start last night= FAIL / Fuel Pump gave up the ghost and pissed fuel all over the floor.

New fuel pump and second attempt= Success!
There is some exhaust popping and the exhaust pipes on the driver side reads about 215 degrees versus 145 on the passenger.
Have some tuning to do but very happy with the today's progress and its responsiveness.

http://youtu.be/vpMugbR6YIY
[/url]

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Huge milestone for you! I hope to be there with Loretta in the next week.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot wait to see it!!!

I am leaving tonight heading for Big Bear. Will join the ECVW Crew tomorrow Morning west of Cleveland and then heading your way!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggy Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buggy Brian wrote:
Congrats!! Huge milestone for you! I hope to be there with Loretta in the next week.

Realized that what I wrote could be taken to meant that I might be in Big Bear in a week, but that's a pipe dream right now. I'm hoping to be able to start her up for the first time (since restoration) next week.
-(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
-Original Home built buggy that started all. I learned to drive in it back in 1985.
Manx Club Member # 4436

Check out my Loretta here: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=3365Manx

Scarlett is getting a Makeover! http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=3745&p=24983#p24983
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim/Brian/Joe....

Rosemarie and I are at the opposite end of life:
Not a hope in he-double-hockey-sticks of having resurrected our toasted Tow'd in time but
WE will be at Big Bear in person. Our daughter leaves tonight for 2 weeks of volunteering in
Costa Rica so we are using the excuse of no kids at home to fly out and join the fun! I have a need to put faces to names, pick the brains of some members much more experienced than
me so as to minimize mistakes during the rebuild.

Any fun encountered in SoCal will be purely coincident....wink wink!

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm often asked: "How long did it take?"

I usually dodge the question and change the subject 'cause the "if you had to ask, you probably wouldn't understand" response is about to come out. Additionally, I've had my nose so buried into this (for what seems to be a few years) that I'm also a little embarrassed.

My wife has been watching the number of views to this post and I'm updated the moment I come home from work. This afternoon, I went back to the begining to recap how I got here and noticed this journey started 17 months ago.

In the overal scheme of things, I'm thinking that 17 months to pull this off ain't so bad Confused

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally out of the garage.
First trip around the block: http://youtu.be/E39UuKb7pRs

TSFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video is set to private.

Thanks,
Jeff

Manxter 2+2 #160
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that (I'm new to posting to YouTube)
Privacy setting changed to "public" and should play now

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the shakedown! Seems to have a lot of squirt, should be fun...

Unless you are luckier than I was you and your passengers may want to rethink using the windshield as an assist when getting in or out. Cost me 2 cracked screens before I added a passenger grab bar.
The rebuild of the toasted Tow'd will include a cage so you can't grab the screen frame.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted any updates largely 'cause I've been enjoying my Manx. Although the KickOut wasn't finished, it was driveable and the 2015 Big Bear Bash was great fun. Bruce seemed impressed and he signed the inside of my hood.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

The list of things to do before I declare the car done is lost and I'll look for it someday but for now, I'm having too much fun driving.
Every Friday there is a local car show at the beach that I like to attend. My company has two car shows annually and the Manx is always well received

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Big Bear Bash 2016 was great fun (as always)

Came home with a first in class

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

2016 Big Bear Bash was great fun (Until the last day).
We went up a day earlier and drove all over the place. The last evening, I topped off the tank in preparation of the parade run Sunday morning. When Sunday morning came, the engine ran terribly and I almost pulled out of the event.

When I got home I struggled with problem but none of the usual remedies worked. I ended up parking the Manx for a while and before I knew it, the holidays were upon us. From November through the first of the year, it's family first and I shut down the garage. Although the garage is on hold for the holidays, the planning continues. That long list of things to do to declare the car finished is found and new items are added.

Added to the list was removing the chassis to add new fuel lines for fuel injection (high pressure feed & low pressure return). Additionally, I wanted to add reinforcements and bracing to firm up the chassis.

A friend was asking for help with building a 356 speedster replica. This got me thinking that I'd to build one for myself. Another friend that already had a 356 replica let me drive his and I was very impressed how well it handled the mountain roads. After a few days of researching speedster's, I came to the realization that all the work I put into the Manx suspension really paid off which is why I want to reinforce the chassis.

Why build a Speedster when the Manx in my garage will perform just as well?

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Christmas 2016 was especially cool.
My wife handed me an envelope with a picture of a Manx Chassis by Dave Barrett. I knew I had been a good boy this year but I didn't think I was that good!

As luck would have it, Dave had a chassis that he was hauling around to all the events. I called him up and he said he would bring it my direction and I could meet him half way

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

I picked up a complete rear IRS suspension and rebuilt everything with new brakes, bearings and seals. Kevin at TransWest built a new heavy duty transmission for me.

Although fuel injection is on the wish list, it still a ways off. I think it's best to lay the plumbing in before a car is wrapped around the chassis.

40 years of aerospace paid off but didn't prepare me for the flaring of stainless steel tubing (royal pain the a$$!).

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Floor pan going on. Not a fan of diamond plate so I had the interior side coated with Line-X bed liner. Diamond plate side is going street side. I glued the pan to the chassis and secured it with 60 broad head rivets (Geeze I hope I never have to remove it!). After everything was secure, I coated the underside with roll on bed liner.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

I found an early pedal assembly and rebuilt it sanding down any casting flash or numbers. I installed a "Big Boy Pedal Extender" and aluminum "Pistol Wheel" throttle wheel from Classic Bug Parts. I can't say enough good things about this setup and company. First class quality!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

Chassis is getting close

The body was placed onto the chassis and all mounting points marked. This is the part of the process that drives my wife nutz. She will notice major milestone like placing the body onto the chassis and the following day wonder why I took it back off. Anyway, the body came back off and the holes were drilled

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Manx KickOut Build Project Reply with quote

The chassis is great and one of the features that I really like is how Dave narrowed the center tubes to provide more room for the seats (butts). The down side to this is things get real crowded in terms of the shift tube and parking brake assembly. I'm ditching the stock shift tube and using a smaller diameter 1/2" carbon fiber tube. I made up my own park brake lever mount in an effort to raise it up for additional room for the shift tube.

It's still pretty crowded but everything is working smoothly with no rubbing. The white plastic spacers are filling the space where (future) turning brake handles will go.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: