Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VJ4BR25
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj0rn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a problem with my distributor. It is leaking oil, not very much but leaking. The oil drips out of the cap at the bottom.
I removed the distributor cap witch is clean, haven’t removed more parts to check how much oil is in the housing.

Is there some sort of seal on the shaft?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

That's an ozone vent.

The oil is getting past the fiber washers on the mainshaft and going up the shaft and into the body. You need to check to make sure the fiber washers are in good shape. Also you might need to shim the bottom drive tighter. There should be around 0.05mm.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bj0rn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

So I took the distributor apart today. The fiber should be hard material right? They are hard like plastic. The felt between the 2 bushings was soaked with oil. When taking out the main shaft I made a Scratch in both bushings.

Are there rebuild sets available for this type of distributor?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

Bosch stopped making the rebuild parts, they went NLA in 2016.

There are some aftermarket copies made but the ones i've seen are no where as good as the genuine Bosch.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

Thats why you should always check the shaft for any sharp edges especially around the pin hole and bottom and clean it, before removing the shaft. Not that it helps you, but for others taking the distributor apart.

Most parts incl bushings are availible nos or new aftermarket. Marcel at vwnos.com for one example has a mix of nos and new parts. Some of the new parts are accually of great quality, other I havn't tested or would rather use NOS or used. Some NOS/genuine parts (as the kits) are expensive other parts like the fibre washers are still cheap. A mix of nos/genuine Bosch fibre washers (on the shaft), new washers and phenolic damping plate under the weights, used (from a spare distributor) steel shims and new or nos bushings and you should have a good start.

Your VJ4BR25 looks like it might have been from a industrial engine as they didn't use bushings back when it was used in type2. It might be in good condition and all you might have to do, if you are careful, is to exchange the 2 fibre washers on each side of the housing and clean/lube it. Depending on how bad you damaged the bushings.

Youre other option might also be to have it rebuilt by Glenn or another rebuilder using original Bosch parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

I did now see that you are in Europe, I have some NOS Bosch parts I use for rebuilds, but no new aftermarket parts. I might be able to help you if you send a PM. But if you need some of the parts only availible new you might be better off buying everything from a vendor. Porsche shops usually also have new aftermarket "rebuild kits" for shaft etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bj0rn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

Yeah I cleaned the shaft before removing, guess not good enough. The bushings are to damaged to use, when google the size of the bushings there are a lot available in some sort of bronze. I wonder if I can use them. The original are a different material I guess.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: VJ4BR25 Reply with quote

This is original Bosch bushings. The alloy in them are magnetic. When fitting new ones, let them soak in a bath of oil for att least 30 min or more. Bosch advised their work shops to always have bushings in bath, taking replacement from it and put in a new dry bushing in the oil bath. Same goes IF you clean the distributor house with bushings in it, fill the shaft with oil for att least 30min before assembly.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: