Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

interesting... by doing the calculation with my VIN, the table and your method the resulting engine number is 2000+ units higher than mine... both my numbers are in range for 1997 though. Question Neutral
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
interesting... by doing the calculation with my VIN, the table and your method the resulting engine number is 2000+ units higher than mine... both my numbers are in range for 1997 though. Question Neutral

I have access to 2 different 2001 models, I'm going check those as well, make take a while as they are in winter storage.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Meanwhile this convinced me to bite the bullet and finally order a birth certificate for the car. We'll see...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I just received a new VIN chart from OMNICAR and have a few questions regarding the 12th digit (shown in the first chart as the '0', '5' or '9' after the 'M').

1) Could anyone interested confirm the '0', '5' or '9' based on your year.

According to Nicholas' book, VW started to assign a 17 digit VIN in 1995, but I'm curious if they did that for only the cars exported to Europe. That is, did the domestic cars have a 17 digit VIN for 1995-1997?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know they do from 1998 on, when VW introduced the New Beetle (as model 1C in the VIN), a 17 digit VIN that conformed to the North American standard was used showing model 1B for the air-cooled Beetles. Prior to that the model was '11' (as shown here):

My car is a '96, the model is an '11' and the 17-digit VIN does not conform the North American standard (with digits 4-6 properly populated and a check digit). (It looks like the first one, 3VWZZZ....)

Another thing to note, OMNICAR had 26 cars especially built for them as shown on the last line on the first chart under 2004. These cars were built after the last Ultima Edcion, the engine numbers are higher than the last 'official' car:
http://sebeetles.com/omnicar_last_edition/

Which got me thinking, and yes I'm bored right now.....

I did a calculation by adding the last 5 digits of my VIN to the last engine number from '95 (according to Nicholas' chart). In theory that should equal the engine number.

It was (for example as I don't want to post all the actual numbers):
VIN = 3VWZZZ113TM512345 (not my actual VIN)
last '95 Engine code = ACD200671

200671 + 12345 = 213016.

If the car/engines were assembled in order then the engine number should match ACD213016.

I did that calculation for my car and the engine number matches the calculation.

Which tells me one of two possibilties:
1) they assembled the cars/engines in order
or
2) they assigned the engine number after the engine was put into the car (most likely).

My Bug is a 2002 Vin. 3VWS1A1B32M900000 I changed the last 5 digits, but it was one of the last ones built in 2002.
ACD444500 is the engine code, or very close. The engine code fall into the 2002 time line, & it is the original engine. My Vin. has a 3 where the ? mark is. Translated the 3 = Austuhraung Despahrzeuges means Equipment. Don't know what that Equipment was. Does that help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:

My Bug is a 2002 Vin. 3VWS1A1B32M900000 I changed the last 5 digits, but it was one of the last ones built in 2002.
ACD444500 is the engine code, or very close. The engine code fall into the 2002 time line, & it is the original engine. My Vin. has a 3 where the ? mark is. Translated the 3 = Austuhraung Despahrzeuges means Equipment. Don't know what that Equipment was. Does that help?

The '3' in position 9 is a check digit and is (was in the '90s) used in US/Canada to validate the full VIN.

The S1A are equipment indicators (positions 4-6):
4 - S Model type/version (Table 2)
5 - 1 Engine type (Table 3)
6 - A Safety system (Table 4)

From Table 2: S = Sedan - Type 1 (also used for Jetta)
From Table 3: 1 - 1.6l 44bhp Sedan - Type 1
From Table 4: A = Seat belts, inertia-reel – Type 1

All of the 17 digit (post 1998) VIN's I have see have S1A in positions 4-6. The other VIN's I checked have different digits in position 9, depending on the VIN.

The pre-1998 VIN's (3VWZZZ....) [like my car] always have a '3' in position 9 and does not pass the check digit test. That is not an issue here in Canada as the check digit test does not apply to imported cars > 15 years old.

Note that the '1B' in positions 7-8 (3VWS1A1B32M900000) show the model (type 1B), the pre 1998 cars have '11' (type 1), the New Beetles, introduced in 1998 had '1C' (type 1C) in positions 7-8.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
ACD444500 is the engine code, or very close. The engine code fall into the 2002 time line, & it is the original engine.

Sorry, just out of curiosity, does Hopkin's method of adding up the VIN to the last engine # of the previous year work for your car, or is it off like mine?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
radstude wrote:
ACD444500 is the engine code, or very close. The engine code fall into the 2002 time line, & it is the original engine.

Sorry, just out of curiosity, does Hopkin's method of adding up the VIN to the last engine # of the previous year work for your car, or is it off like mine?

I checked it on another '96 VIN and it worked. Also it works for the 2004 OMNICAR Ultima Edicion's.

Speaking of which, here's a photo of the highest ACD number, which is not installed on the last 'official' car (higher than the last car). This engine is installed on the last OMNICAR build a couple days before the last official car.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
mf1274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hello.
I have a 2004 Mexican bug that I need to replace the driver door window regulator. Does anyone know what year regulator I have to get that is a bolt in deal? I see there are regulators for up to 1974 and the 1975 up? What is the difference and what one would be the correct one.
Thank you
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

mf1274 wrote:
Hello.
I have a 2004 Mexican bug that I need to replace the driver door window regulator. Does anyone know what year regulator I have to get that is a bolt in deal? I see there are regulators for up to 1974 and the 1975 up? What is the difference and what one would be the correct one.
Thank you

The '75 & up should fit, here's the right side from WW and the regulator from my '96 to compare:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I just received the following chart that shows VIN's and engine numbers for Beetles built in Mexico from 1978-1985, which was the end of official export (by VW) of air cooled Beetles to Germany.

I thought this might be of interest to owners of older Mexican Beetles as these numbers are not shown in the technical section here on Samba:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, I will add a link to the Beetle VIN/Engine # listing on this site too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Anyone know what these green wires are for on a 2003 Mexican Beetle? I have a 2002 and it doesn’t have them. Just wondering what they do and if/why they were removed.

Thanks in advance!

jkcrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looking for information on how the Mexican seat track retaining clip/stop is mounted. Or, what does it look like compared to a USA beetle? My 73 standard USA beetle has the clip screwed down between the pin posts (pic1). I obtained a complete seat pan cut out of what seems to be a Mexican beetle of unknown vintage some years back off Craigslist. Now that that I am at the assembly stage I noticed the Mexican seat track has no screw hole to attach the clip (pic2). I presume there must be another style of clip or another method to prevent the seat from sliding all the way backward off the tracks. Anyone have a picture or part number of such a part? I found a VW Mexico stamping on the underside of the bracket shown which leads me to believe this is a Mexican floorpan.

Pic1

Pic2

Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 I have a 2001 and they are hook to the ECU via a vacuum hose and yes they are important do you have a photo of your engine as I know Hopkins can give advise...Sam
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:
Anyone know what these green wires are for on a 2003 Mexican Beetle? I have a 2002 and it doesn’t have them. Just wondering what they do and if/why they were removed.

Thanks in advance!

They aren't wires, but vacuum lines, one goes to the ECU, the other to the solenoid valve for the carbon canister system.

They may not be green, on my car ('96) one is green, the other is white. Yours may be different colours if the previous owner changed them. On my car the green one goes to the ECU, the white one loops behind the fan to the valve (ignore the arrow, the picture was from another post):

The white tube ends here, behind the fan:

Note the value changed over the years, so yours may not be exactly like my picture.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jkcrum wrote:
Looking for information on how the Mexican seat track retaining clip/stop is mounted. ...

Here are some pictures I took from my '96 last year. I don't see anything like the piece in your pictures. Note that the bracket and pin on top of the pedestal are the same as a MK1 Golf (first picture is a MK1 floorpan with the brackets):

I'm not sure what the bracket is in your last picture, with the PN 1B0 701 121, that's a VW of Mexico PN, so it mostly likely will not show up in a Google search. You can sub out the 1B0 with 111 or 113, doing that (111 701 121) shows a left side floor pan.

The Mexican Beetle has an extra bracket for the ECU cover, maybe the bracket in your picture is for that.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jkcrum wrote:
... I presume there must be another style of clip or another method to prevent the seat from sliding all the way backward off the tracks. ...

Maybe this is the part you are looking for, you can see a bolt at the front of the track (left side in picture). That has to be removed to slide the seat all the way back (and remove it). You can put a nut and bolt in place, if your seats are missing it:

Here's a diagram PN's 36, 31 and 48, my OMNICAR parts list shows these numbers but I don't think they cross reference to anything useful:

36 = NRN-011-121-2
31 = NRN-012-006-4
48 = NRN-014-750-6
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
jmott76 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

They aren't wires, but vacuum lines, one goes to the ECU, the other to the solenoid valve for the carbon canister system.

They may not be green, on my car ('96) one is green, the other is white. Yours may be different colours if the previous owner changed them. On my car the green one goes to the ECU, the white one loops behind the fan to the valve (ignore the arrow, the picture was from another post):

Note the value changed over the years, so yours may not be exactly like my picture.

Thanks for the reply! I truly appreciate it. My car is still in storage at the moment so I’m not able to reference anything for the time being. I don’t believe my car has either vacuum line anymore. She’s a bit of a tired old girl that has spent most of it’s like in Mexico.

Just to clarify, the green vacuum line runs from the ECU to ? And the white runs from the solenoid valve to ? I’m going to order some vacuum tubing and replace what’s missing as soon as I awaken the car from its slumber.

Thanks again for the help. Your pics will serve as a great reference!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:
hopkin wrote:
jmott76 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply! I truly appreciate it. My car is still in storage at the moment so I’m not able to reference anything for the time being. I don’t believe my car has either vacuum line anymore. She’s a bit of a tired old girl that has spent most of it’s like in Mexico.

Just to clarify, the green vacuum line runs from the ECU to ? And the white runs from the solenoid valve to ? I’m going to order some vacuum tubing and replace what’s missing as soon as I awaken the car from its slumber.

Thanks again for the help. Your pics will serve as a great reference!

I hope this helps.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:

Just to clarify, the green vacuum line runs from the ECU to ? And the white runs from the solenoid valve to ? ....

As radstude shows above, the two lines are connected to the intake body. I don't think it would matter which one goes where, but on my car the lower one (green) is connected to the ECU.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 155 of 192

Jump to: