Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Are they more expensive in Italy?

No but you can usually find the MANN equivalent for anywhere between 5 and 3€. The filter is exactly the same so I buy that.

I use 15W40 as per factory spec, but I switched from dino to semi-synthetic (castrol GTX) and it greatly reduced both the clatter and the water condensation. I'm reluctant to go to a lower cold-rated oil as we don't have such extreme temperatures in winter as in Canada.

Also, since the switch to semi-synthetic I've increased the oil change interval to one year, as the mileage is low and the car spends most of its time in an underground garage which does ave a more or less constant temperature during the year (~20m underground, below the aquifer line).

edit: re counterfeit filters, Basically, manufacturing a crappy filter is dirt cheap (good filters are not expensive to manufacture, too, costs being mainly in R&D for OEM applications). By selling with a known and respected brand name any sweatshop can thus make stellar profits out of their product and most customers who end up with counterfeits would never know because just a small percentage of enthusiasts perform their own oil changes and drain and inspect the used filter afterwards. I read a .pdf published some years ago by MANN concerning fakes but I can't find it anymore on their website.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Last year I bought an iClever FM transmitter for my car, it's been working fine but has had an annoying 'bug', every once in a while it would skip ahead ~1000 songs (I put ~2700 songs on a Micro SD card for the transmitter). In addition the remote stopped working (I changed the battery with no luck). As the remote no longer worked, I couldn't reset the songs easily.

Not really a big deal, but I decided to try a different FM transmitter. I found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7OHDKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This one has easier controls on the unit, no remote is required. One small bonus, the iClever had a small amount of static, this one is crystal clear.

iClever installed:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VicTsing installed:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi Hopkins, as per previous post about contact with Antonio, still nothing and i did send yet another email last night, i hope he can see this and gets back to me.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I've seen recent posts from Antonio on facebook, too. Maybe he's having trouble with e-mail, have you tried a PM here?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
I've seen recent posts from Antonio on facebook, too. Maybe he's having trouble with e-mail, have you tried a PM here?

rhd914 wrote:
Hi Hopkins, as per previous post about contact with Antonio, still nothing and i did send yet another email last night, i hope he can see this and gets back to me.
Thanks

Try messaging him on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/parts.vw.3

or if using email be sure you are using his 'new' email address:

[email protected]

(He changed it from [email protected] a few years ago).

What parts are you looking for?
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, will try facebook.
I am trying to buy a complete acd engine. Just got freight all lined up and the packaging as well. Now for the last month, no return contact on emails.
Baffled??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, contact restored.
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone have a complete acd engine for sale that could ve shipped to Australia?
Thanks
Geoff
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

rhd914 wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a complete acd engine for sale that could ve shipped to Australia?
Thanks
Geoff

You could try Aza Arriaga, he also sells VW stuff out of Mexico. I have not dealt with him, but I do follow him on FB. He posts lots of Vocho stuff for sale.

Here is his FB link:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008516568538
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I changed out the rear brakes on my car today. I ordered the new shoes from Wolfsburg West (PN 113609537C).

I used a (10x) reduction gear to remove the 37mm bolts. I borrowed this from a member of my VW club. Makes removal a breeze, you can see that all I used was a small ratchet and a 17mm socket. It can also be used to easily set the torque when I replace the drums.

The drum was seized onto the axle on the passenger side, so I had to use a puller:

The drivers side came off with no problem.

Both sides were quite dirty, this is the driver's side, the passenger side was worse:

The linings actually weren't that bad, I probably could have left them for another season. I need to change out the front pads, so I decided to do all the brakes at once. (My car now has just under 117,000 kms).

I cleaned up the back plate:

I did order all new hardware when I bought the shoes from WW, but the existing hardware was in good shape, so all I did was clean it up:

All done, it took most of the day, but most of that time was spent cleaning Twisted Evil :

It appears that the factory brakes were still on the car, there is a VW logo stamped on the old shoes:

I left the drums off for tonight, I'll put them back on tomorrow and then do the front brakes.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)

Last edited by hopkin on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Nice work Paul! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thumbs up! Cool I'll have to do my fronts somewhere in the future, too!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Don't you want to paint the drums?

You've got quite a lot of rust under your car. You gotta stop driving it in the winter!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Do you still have the /30 filter? If so, cut it open and compare the internal guts to a /5 filter.

GArBa wrote:

I use 15W40 as per factory spec, but I switched from dino to semi-synthetic (castrol GTX) and it greatly reduced both the clatter and the water condensation.

If you switch to 0W-30 or 0W-40, it will completely eliminate the clatter on startup.

For the condensation, have you installed the thermostat and shutters yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Don't you want to paint the drums?

You've got quite a lot of rust under your car. You gotta stop driving it in the winter!

Way ahead of you, I spent most of the day getting the rust off of the drums. (I don't have any new-fangled sand blaster, and my neighbor with one was away Evil or Very Mad ).

The results were good, I even did the 37mm nut:

I used Tremclad hi temperature paint.

Most the rust is surface, but there are a few areas. The car hasn't really rusted much more since I got it 5 years ago, what you see was there when I got it. (I don't drive it in the winter, I try to put it away before the first salting).

There is a spot on the left rear fender and what you see around the rear suspension. The rest of the car was sprayed with a yellowish undercoat when it was imported to Germany (topside, in any cavities), and a thick black spray under the car, floor, inner fenders. All of those areas (about 90% of the car) are in excellent condition.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Do you still have the /30 filter? If so, cut it open and compare the internal guts to a /5 filter.

I did with an older one before joining thesamba but did not take any pic... Sad The only macroscopic difference is the /5 has a metal spring loaded ADBV on the output side while the /30 has just the silicone rubber one on the input side. The filtering media is likely different on a microscopic level to hold more dirt. I can't remember about the number of pleats, but when I come home from my vacation I will open the one I have now and detail the dissection. I don't have any used /5 tough.

Bruce wrote:
For the condensation, have you installed the thermostat and shutters yet?

No, I'm reluctant to do that modification partly because I can't find a decent set and partly because I'm weighting the benefits against the work involved. I'm not saying they aren't useful, quite the opposite, it's that I literally use this car just on sundays in fair weather and so I have time to always wait for the engine to warm upin the garage before going.

the zero oil is tempting, but isn't that too fluid for the Italian climate?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well I started on the front brakes today, it turns out the inside piston on both sides is seized. New calipers are on their way, I hope they arrive before the end of the week.

The outside pads (both sides) were worn almost to the metal, the inside pads were hardly worn at all.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Johnnyjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Don't mean to hi jack this thread
I've read every entry
I have restored a 65 and I want another, I love these cars.
I want a Mexican made bug.....I have an eye on a few over the past few months, my question to you all, what do I look out for and what is a good monetary guide. Bear in mind I did not want to do another frame off but I don't want a trailer queen either. I'm looking for a few guidelines and a lil guidance aka hot tips. Thanks and hopefully by September I'll have one....
Thanks. JJ
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well my calipers arrived overnight from cip1, thanks!.

These are the calipers I ordered:
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-615-107-8A

I also ordered 2 new (14 inch) brake lines:
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-611-701-B

The calipers are an (almost) exact match to the original Mexican calipers, these will fit either side, with a bleeder screw on each end (the only visible difference).

They come with disc pads installed, so no need to order those. I now have a spare set that I got from Antonio, and a spare retaining kit that I got from Gerrelt.

As you can see, a perfect match:

Fits good, the new rotors are from Antonio:

Here's another angle, you can see one of the new hoses in this picture:

This is a photo of the caliper from the cip1 website:

I also bled the brakes (front and back), the old brake fluid was dark, so it was due.

Tomorrow is the test drive, pedestrians, other motorists be aware Very Happy .
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well I went for a test run, everything seems to be fine.

One thing though, when I turn the key (engine not running), the brake warning light now comes on. Once I start the engine it goes out. This light has never lit before I did the brake job.

The question, is it supposed to light up with ignition turned on (engine not running), like the oil and battery light? (Which means it wasn't working properly before)

.. or ..

should I check (rebleed?) something else. The pedal seems fine, no sponginess or fade.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 193

Jump to: