Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

We had a warm up this week (from -28C to -2C) so I took the opportunity to back the cars out of the garage and run them for awhile:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know, I know, some people say don't do it, whatever..., I like to keep the batteries charged and I run them until they are hot. And it gives me a chance to sit in the driver's seat of my favorite car for a bit.

Anyways, I noticed an oil leak in the engine, I originally thought it was the oil switch, but it looks like it's coming from behind the shroud. I'm thinking it might be the oil cooler, opinions anyone?

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

it looks like is coming from above indeed... can you see any oil on the left bank cylinders from below?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
it looks like is coming from above indeed... can you see any oil on the left bank cylinders from below?

I can't get under the car until spring, I'm just going to go ahead and order a new oil cooler and gaskets, also the hoover bit.

If I determine that the oil cooler is leaking, then I'll drop the motor and put in a new one. I'll probably swap out my exhaust system (heater boxes, crossover pipe and catalytic converter/muffler) at the same time. I already have all the new parts for the exhaust system, including the lambda probe.

My starter is acting up, so I'll be changing that as well. Lots of work ahead this year Smile .
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
I can't get under the car until spring, I'm just going to go ahead and order a new oil cooler and gaskets, also the hoover bit.

I've looked at installing the hoover bit, but I concluded that the Mexican fan shroud has the hoover bit "integrated".
See this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7741756&highlight=hoover#7741756
I didn't install one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
hopkin wrote:

I've looked at installing the hoover bit, but I concluded that the Mexican fan shroud has the hoover bit "integrated".
See this post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7741756&highlight=hoover#7741756
I didn't install one.

Thanks!, this sure is a handy thread Smile
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Anyone removed the door latch from inside the door without removing window. After sitting a few months the drivers side door won't open from outside BUT does still open easily from the inside handle 2003 car
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

have you already ruled out the handle as a possible source of the issue? you can take it out by undoing the screw behind the door gasket and then check if you can operate the lock mechanism by hand from the outside.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Yep Had chrome handle off. I fitted a new door last year and suspect perhaps water has got in over winter and seized mech with lack of use . Car has been sat outside since last summer unused
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Went to start this morning and the starter motor is spinning without being engaged. No click from the solenoid at all.

Is there a fuse or Anything to do with alarm system? Just wanted to check before I take out the starter..
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Bennym777 wrote:
Went to start this morning and the starter motor is spinning without being engaged. No click from the solenoid at all.

Is there a fuse or Anything to do with alarm system? Just wanted to check before I take out the starter..

I don't think the alarm system would cause that, if the starter is spinning then I would think it's the starter. You could try light tapping the solenoid with a hammer.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Bennym777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks. Local garage had a spare Bosch starter so I threw that in. I think the solenoid just got a bit stuck.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Season 2018 is opened!!! Today in Moscow dry weather with -1 degrees of Celsius and so windy looks like April, but we have no problem with summer tires driving in Moscow city center, then spa procedures in the car wash and return to "underground base".

Till New Year's holidays I ordered from the Netherlands a little portion of original (NOS) parts for my Bug.

Today I unpacked, as a result we have:
— steering reducer (TRW brand)
— a washer reservoir with the motor (OEM VAG)
— fuel sensor (VDO)
— small parts such as bench hammer casing, fuses... etc
— expendables parts for each oil service: gaskets, fuel filters.

The steering gearbox which is available on the car is ok and it regularly works, but the wheel heavy and in it is problems, it dry, in it isn't present lubricant, gasket for gearbox broken and … and I have no desire to restore it.
The washer reservoir now from some Volkswagen now and it occupies a trunk, this tank accurately lays down in a body and doesn't eat so the small available place in a luggage carrier.
The fuel sensor the former owner used not the original which was oxidized (no possible to restore it) and more than once discrepancy in measurement of a fuel level in a tank was noticed, it is better to put expensive, but qualitative thing, especially it is the most difficult of three available sensors in a car.
Other small things for next oil-service.
All spare parts with delivery from Holland to Russia/Moscow cost about 600 EUR.
We will start restore works soon, we will make a part of works in this winter in my underground parking.

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

it's raining in sunny Italy and the roads are so covered in salt that my daily driver car seems frosted. So I made another short video, this time dealing with the well-known fire hazard of the 1600i bugs and how I solved it.

Link

hope you enjoy it.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thank you posting this video, and the others on your channel -just watched them all ! Really interesting to understand the nuances of the Mexican built 1600i cars.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi, everybody! Because tires of my bug are released in the nineties there are age cracks around a protector. The protector still very fresh, but age dries rubber and safe driving of the car becomes questionable. I found four new tires in Germany with good price. It is Firestone F-560 which arrived to me appeared the Mexican production of 2016. Two years "I hunted" this tires, the prices with logistic reached to 1000 EUR for four wheels... Price for me with delivery about 100EUR for one tire (The price in US from 90 to 120 dollars, but shipping costs to Russia is twice more for one tire). I will change tires on wheels in the summer. The Bug sleeps under a cover meanwhile

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

good choice, I like the F560!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
good choice, I like the F560!

Yes, protector image is more interesting then Vredstein Sprint Classic...
choose a modern tires with a given size such as Toyo - I have no desire, still faster than 100 km/h do not drive
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My first choiche were the michelin X but being in the "classic" series they are something about 250€ apiece. The F560 are apparently NLA in italy unless you are willing to pay without asking the price first; toyo 310s are allowed only for cars earlier than 1991 so wanting to be legal without being broke vredestein was really my only option. They look better on the car than in photo, anyway. Long rant but.... genuine mexican parts are getting expensive anywhere but in russia it is up to eleven! Kudos for your dedication!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Have you guys tried Amazon for tyres ....Here in the US I have found they have the right sizes if you go Mexican size and they also have regular if you go classic style and the prices are not too steep... No I have not tried ebay.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Back when I bought my new tires amazon was not particularly competitive with other euro sites and IIRC they didn't have any tire in 155R15 so I bought from another site and had them installed at a local shop. I spent about 350 euros in the end, for five tires. Installation and balance were another 50 or so.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 193

Jump to: