Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hi hopkin, nice to have you back here! Very Happy
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
hi hopkin, nice to have you back here! Very Happy

Thanks, I've been busy travelling for work but reading along.

I did get my car out a couple days ago, we had 2 days of rain (that washed all the road salt away) followed by a sunny afternoon.

I beat the salt trucks out and went for a short drive, the earliest I've ever got my car out for the season, but it's parked now for a few more weeks Sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
SgtStedenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Where can I get a drivers door latch.
It doesn’t want to close all the way.
I have to lift up on the cam? For it to close properly.
Can these be fixed or tightened?

99 Mexican

Thanks
SgtStedenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Are the finned Aluminum valve covers w/ gaskets on EBay worth the money?
$38 for covers, and gaskets.

If not, I’ll jist put gaskets on it

Thanks
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

SgtStedenko wrote:
Where can I get a drivers door latch.
It doesn’t want to close all the way.
I have to lift up on the cam? For it to close properly.
Can these be fixed or tightened?

99 Mexican

Thanks

Try Antonio Trejo for new door parts, specifically if you need black ones, if you need chrome ones, the door handle parts are the same as the older cars (70s), you should be able to pick up what you need from suppliers such as Wolfsburg West.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

SgtStedenko wrote:
Are the finned Aluminum valve covers w/ gaskets on EBay worth the money?
$38 for covers, and gaskets.

If not, I’ll jist put gaskets on it

Thanks

I have doubts that the 'fins' really make any difference one way or the other and I doubt those are genuine VW parts so they may not fit well either.

A good used set of covers here on the Samba would probably be best
Plan B- get a set of covers from a reputable place like Wolfsburg West

If you want good gaskets, Wolfsburg West has silicone valve pan cover gaskets- they ought to last longer than cork ones.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

So I might have good news for parts fans. I got a reply about a part request from https://refaccionariamario.com/ and they wanted my mailing address and a list of parts I am looking for so they can figure out DHL shipping...
Hopefully It will not be too expensive
Fingers crossed
Sam
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes. They have one or two things I need...
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Cold start after three winter months.
Then "parking racing" about 10 laps. I`ve got some problem with ignition (wire/spark-plug) with some cylinder on cold engine but I do not care about it Wink spring repair weekends soon!

Link

Link

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

This looks like one from the last year made. Pretty interesting beetle. Really a 2004 contrary to what the ad says. Whitewalls seem a little much in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Volkswagen-Beetle-Cl...7675.l2557
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I like just stock Firestone tyres.
It is like Germany model from 01.1973 till the end in Emden plant in 19.01.1977. Its special edition version, I bought it in Germany in 2010.
This vehicle built in Mexico/Puebla plant ONLY for West Germany customers with some additional options and some security features
Please read here: http://www.sebeetles.com/1984-velvet-red/
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

anton, thomas is referring to the car in the ad he posted a link of, not your car.

thomas, that's indeed a 2004 and an interesting car, apparently tastefully modded, however the missing seat mechanism cover, rusted hubcaps and poor paint on the rims raise some suspicion on how well it has been cared.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
anton, thomas is referring to the car in the ad he posted a link of, not your car.

thomas, that's indeed a 2004 and an interesting car, apparently tastefully modded, however the missing seat mechanism cover, rusted hubcaps and poor paint on the rims raise some suspicion on how well it has been cared.

Grazie Mille! I did not understand correctly him.
Dave Rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Has anyone changed the seats in the Mexi bug for something nice? Not a fan of the Ford Sierra style velour or the massive height! There doesn't seem to be much on these bugs apart from this particular forum (which is great btw!).

I've not owned a Mexi bug before and am finding it really hard to get parts for modifying - but maybe that's just me. I'm usually good at Google!

Also, I've bought a Mountney classic steering wheel, but can't seem to find out the size of spline i need for a boss Brick wall

You guys rock on here though - thank you.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Dave Rail wrote:
Has anyone changed the seats in the Mexi bug for something nice? Not a fan of the Ford Sierra style velour or the massive height! There doesn't seem to be much on these bugs apart from this particular forum (which is great btw!).

I've not owned a Mexi bug before and am finding it really hard to get parts for modifying - but maybe that's just me. I'm usually good at Google!

Also, I've bought a Mountney classic steering wheel, but can't seem to find out the size of spline i need for a boss Brick wall

You guys rock on here though - thank you.

Dave: You can change the seats out to whatever you want. Like the older German Beetles, once you find a set of seats that suit you (and are not too big), you will have to cut the existing mounts off of the floor and weld the new ones on.

The Mexican Beetle seats are modified versions of the Golf seats (from the 90s). They do sit a bit higher (an inch or so) than the older Beetle seats.

The spline on the steering shaft is the same as the older Beetles with an adapter (installed at the factory) to allow the use of Golf steering wheels. The Golf steering wheels have a smaller diameter than the older Beetles' steering wheels.

My steering wheel:

The adapter:

PS, my car was registered in Bournemouth when it was in the UK! Here's a picture of it still sporting it's 'CG' plates just after it arrived in Canada:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am still on the hunt for a 1600i car in the UK. Today I saw a 1998 car, imported into the UK by Beetles UK. I am trying to check the VIN, engine number and apron codes, because what is on the registration form does not correspond with what is on the car. From the car I have a VIN that reads 3VWS1A1B6XM500860, the engine code is ACD 306980 and the number on the apron under the engine cover is 2918030. The car was declared new on import in 1998 by Beetles UK. It is painted red and the dash has been modified. I think from what I see on the German site, that the engine is from between August 1998 and October 1998 which fits. But I cant figure out how to read the VIN or the apron code. Any help would be appreciated, the car is now RHD and has disc brakes on the rear and front wheels. Thanks !
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

if you need help with ViNs Hopkins is the Man on that topic... He has photo's of the set up, the number on the rear will let you know where it was on the production line(I think)... Good luck and Welcome shame the car is not a left hooker..Sam
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I had made a post with how to decipher the VIN but can't find it so...

3VWS1A1B6XM500860:

3 --> north america
VW --> make (that was easy)
S1A--> filling numbers (some sources say this configuration actually identifies the sedan body type, before '98 MY this sequence was just 'ZZZ')
1B --> beetle (type 1 - now we know for sure '98 and later as that year the new beetle went in production in puebla and the car model code in the VIN of aircooled bugs switched from "11" as in my '97 to "1B" as in your car)
6 --> control digit
X --> model year 1999 (manufactured from august 1998)
M --> manufacturing plant, Puebla, Mexico
500860 --> progressive manufacturing number

production code 2918030:

week 29
day 1
factory code 8030 (I think relates to body manufacturing but not sure)

the week number tells us it was manufactured in the first half of the solar year, this in conjunction with the model year number "X" and a perpetual calendar just found on google tells us the car was made on monday, june, 28, 1999

all clues on the body point to a 1999 manufacturing date. It may have been fitted with a slightly earlier engine at the factory or upon import. It seems odd however it was imported already in 1998... since you published them already, can you post a pic of the various numbers? (VIN on the frame, B post and in the front trunk, production number on the rear apron and engine number)

thanks
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thank you Garba for the rapid reply, I hope the pictures help. I am puzzled that the data suggests a 1999 car? The number in the steel under the rear seat is the same as the aluminium tag shown.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 193

Jump to: