Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

plagos_g wrote:
There's a classic issue with the ACV. Oil vapors will enter the air filter. The vapors will condense on it, and will go through the ACV.
This can happen if the oil was overfilled, or there's a pressure leak to it from the cylinders (rings worn maybe?)
In YouTube mexican beetle channels this is a common topic.
Have you checked the paper filter? I bet there's an oil stain on it by the ACV output.

EDIT
Also. This valve rarely breaks down, it just gets clogged. To verify its operation, measure the resistance on its terminals. The value should be between 5 and 10 ohms. It can be cleaned with carb cleaner, or another solvent.

Thanks, I have a K&N oil bath filter. I cleaned it and resprayed it this summer. I don't see any motor oil on the filter, just the red K&N oil. There is a bit of motor oil at the base of the chamber where the oil has passed from the output (input?) to the ACV to the filler area. It doesn't look like it has passed up to the filter.

I'll check resistance on the ACV and clean it, I was pricing a new one - ouch Evil or Very Mad . Your suggestion is an easy (and much cheaper) thing to do before digging deeper.

Also I'll look for the YouTube video and see what it has to say.

Cheers
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Another thing. I do not remember hearing about oil bath filters for mexibeetles. Did you adapt one? That'd be interesting to see.

Here's a link to one of the videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zD_HjFfA4
You may find more searching for "Vocho IAC"

Hope it helps

Patrick

PS: That valve is indeed expensive (here in Chile too).
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

plagos_g wrote:
Another thing. I do not remember hearing about oil bath filters for mexibeetles. Did you adapt one? That'd be interesting to see.

Here's a link to one of the videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62zD_HjFfA4
You may find more searching for "Vocho IAC"

Hope it helps

Patrick

PS: That valve is indeed expensive (here in Chile too).

The K&N was on the car when I bought it. It wasn't adapted, it matches the stock air filters. I'll take a picture tomorrow in the light.

Thanks for the link, I was searching around after I last posted.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hopkin, do not use synthetic oil your 1600i engine, In Mexico VW recommends mineral oil 15W-40.
I use 15W-50 due the high milage on my 1994 Sedan (175,000 kms)
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

doesn't need to go up to the filter to be sucked into the idle valve, the tilt in the filter housing actually does that.
I second Antonio's oil advice, with a detail, IMHO: I use castrol 15W40 which is semi-synt after trying various full dino oils that alway left the valves clatter, I found with the semi-synt you can have good fluidity at start-up without the oil getting too thin.
hopkin is however in a much colder climate...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
hopkin is however in a much colder climate...

This summer was very hot, +30C and up for most of my driving season. I've been using 0W40 Mobil Synthetic since I bought the car without problems (until now). It's now the fall, much cooler (10C), and the crazy cold will be coming soon.

I'm due for my fall oil change anyways, so I'll switch, but I don't understand the difference that synthetic would make over regular oil. (I know there's probably at least one or two threads on the subject, I'll search for them, no need to rehash it here).

I was sure I read somewhere that I should be using synthetic oil, which is why I started using it in the first place.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I saw the synthetic oil recommendation on the 1600i.de manual (BtlMexTechnica...), and that sounds reasonable for a brand new car, or a rebuilt engine.
How many KMs have you put on it since you got it? What about the previous owners? How long has it been since the engine was opened for the last time?

The mexibeetle my friend is fixing is from '98, it appears it had not been serviced since 2000, (and it seems it is 92.000 original kms). This has led to compression leaks, (which include overheat, clogged ACV, worn intake manifold rubber hoses due to heat and oil), amongst other bad stuff (totally worn clutch, for example).
As these motors age, a good rebuild when properly done can make wonders.
That's why I'd like to know how long has it been running, and the service it has been taken through during its life.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The car now has 132,000 km on it. It had 75,000 on it when I bought it in 2012.

It was stored in the UK for a couple of years before I bought it, with low (to zero) mileage each year. According to the records that were supplied with the car it had 48,000 km in 2002, and 70,000 in 2006, so only 5,000 put on between 2006 and 2012.

The engine has never been rebuilt, and was only out of the car once, in 2015. I took the engine out for easier access to the clutch return spring, I also put a new clutch in since I had the opportunity, but it really didn't need to be changed.

I change the oil at least twice a year, in the spring and fall, never more than 5,000 km between changes. Usually the spring change is after 1,000-3,000 km and the fall change 3,000-5,000 km. (This is due to our seasons, I store the car from Nov-Mar due to the winter and heavy salting of the roads. I run the car in the driveway at least once a month, if it is mild (~0C). Temperatures here range from -35C in the winter to +35C in the summer.)

This year, I did a mid-summer oil change, now ~5,000 km ago, so I'll do a third oil change sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Since I have lots of synthetic oil on hand, I'll use that one more time and then put in some 'dino' oil in the spring.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Personally, I'd clean the idle stabilization valve and forget about the dino vs. synt issue. IIRC you noticed the leak in winter, anyway...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

plagos_g wrote:

Here's some photo's of the K&N filter:

They are still available:
https://www.knfilters.ca/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2001

I measured the resistance across the terminals, 8.1 ohms. I'll clean the valve and see what happens. I won't be driving too much until spring, maybe another 1,000 kms or so Smile .

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Cleaning the valve (and the whole body) should help. The valve is all right.
About the filter... that’s the same we have here, just with a paper filter instead of a washable one. K&N is the brand of the filter element.
I’d run a compression test just to be sure.

Speaking of high mileage engines...
Long post

The bug on the shop arrived because of 'idle issues'. The owner hoped to find a simple issue, sensor related. (So did I). First red flag was the engine temperature: 116ºC, and oil vapor coming out of the filler neck.

The bug, and some others in progress (1 brazillian, 1 1303, 1 mexi cheaply turned to carburetors "For high performace" that was badly done)

A computer scan showed issues with some sensors which had to be troubleshooted, but none suggested the real problem: a vacumm leak so big that the ACV had to be blocked to pevent the engine from revving to its death.
As it was all dirty, the engine had to come out to see if there was any other damage on it.

The engine was insulated at this point... Laughing

The tranny was also covered in cooked oil. The bearing was rusted (original).

And there's more:
Engine mounts long gone (original ones), some nuts missing. Luckily, the front mount was fine, it is the original.

The clutch... There was nothing left there! It was also the original mexican clutch.

A good cleanup and a new bearing.

All the tins and other parts are getting a full cleanup.

This is the dirt buildup inside the accelerator body, due to the oil entering from the air filter through the ACV, dirt, and who knows what else.

Also cleaned... with gasoline.

New rubber pieces waiting

Now, the odometer shows 92.000 km. We found yellow paint on all the nuts on the engine, and almost everywhere else. (Never opened, never taken out of the car, probably, in 21 years).
My friend suspects this bug actually has just 92.000 km. It just seems it never got a proper service done (except oil changes), even though it has been resprayed.
The engine is leaking compression everywhere, but will not be rebuilt (the original budget was about 100 bucks, it is already over 500...

What do you think about it, could it really be under 100.000 km?

Last edited by plagos_g on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

When I swapped out my clutch (in 2015) my car was at about 98,000 km. My clutch was barely worn, I'm surprised at the wear on (your) car's clutch at 92,000 kms.

Based on the clutch wear, I'm thinking your car, may have 192,000 km, or has been driven very hard for 92,000.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi, everybody!
The last warm days in Moscow we have met classic Volkswagens, it was pleasant to see acquaintances and to communicate with guys.
Ahead repair work in a garage for replacement of china quality of ball joints and front bearings.

antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Mkhalil wrote:
antonb wrote:
Mkhalil wrote:
Hi,

I need to know the OEM part number for the Mexican beetle 2002 steering box. My steering has a lot of play, ie turning right to left for a fair bit of the steering angle does nothing. A mechanic said I need to change the steering box. I am interested in purchasing a new one, I need help with the part number and where to get it from. Thanks

Original number : 113 415 061

I used https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/beetle/front-axle-steering/steering/1368/

I checked the website it doesn’t mention the 1600 México beetle as compatible. Are you sure it’s the right part for my 2002 México beetle?

be sure, there is no difference in torsion suspension before 2003 year from 1967.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:

Hopkin, do not use synthetic oil your 1600i engine, In Mexico VW recommends mineral oil 15W-40.
I use 15W-50 due the high milage on my 1994 Sedan (175,000 kms)

I agree with 1000%
Only THICK Mineral oil the better 20W60 etc...
cuz motor cooled with OIL and air! It is very important case!

I use Liquie Moly 20W50 for motorcycles

GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

that's a bit too heavy for an hyraulic lifter car. the lighter the better, esp. in a cold climate.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'll personaly stick to 10w40. PO had 20w50 on it and the lifters were noisy 90% of the time.

In other aspects, can a faulty potentiometer (TPS) cause heavy fuel consumption? I verified mine and it wasn't changing resistance too much, I'm testing another old one (original) which is 'better', but still not 100% fine.
Temp sensors are working properly, air control valve works fine (cleaned)...
The gasoline smell on the exhaust is still present.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
that's a bit too heavy for an hyraulic lifter car. the lighter the better, esp. in a cold climate.

its equal that write in Bug`s Manual SAE for summer.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Your bug is not equipped with hydraulic tappets...
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Your bug is not equipped with hydraulic tappets...

Aah! Exactly!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 87 of 192

Jump to: