Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

rlutterb wrote:
Is there a specific thread I can read that discusses the pro's and con's of the Mexican beetles vs an older german beetle? I have a 72 beetle, but I'm thinking about buying a super low mile late model Mexican. I've just never kept up on this topic so I don't know about parts, pro's or con's of buying them, general thoughts on them. looking for a jump start with other peoples experience and opinions

I don't think there is a specific Pros and Cons thread, although there are some technical differences discussed throughout this thread. The only major con, if you live in the US, is the quasi-legality of owning a < 25 year old car that is not made for the US market.

I would guess that 75-80% of the parts on a Mexican Beetle are interchangeable with a '60s-'70s Beetle, specific year(s) depend on the part. Maybe another 10% (or so) of the parts fit a mid-'90s era watercooled VW's (like a Golf), mostly electric, for example the switches, relays, connectors, etc.

The rest of the parts are unique to the car, for example the fuel pump, exhaust, etc.

With a little work, you can exchange the newer FI engine with an older engine (although, after owning a Mexican beetle for 6 yrs and 60,000 km, I would stick with the FI engine).

There isn't very much published documentation about these cars (like a Bentley). A lot of the info for the '70s Beetles is applicable to these cars, but there are differences. This thread has a wealth of technical data as well as www.1600i.de . Over the past 6 years I have accumulated (downloaded) and indexed a wealth of information scattered across internet, some from websites that have now disappeared. There is a great support group here, and also on facebook on the UK Mexican/Brazilian Beetles User group.

This engine comparison was originally posted by Antonio Trejo. I saved it off as a file:
1600i Engine Differences (from old Beetle)

The air-cooled “Sedan” model produced by Volkswagen Mexico in the 1993-2003 years used the classic 1600 engine with some updated components. It is known as the “ACD” code engine. Differences from the engines in older models include:
1. Hydraulic valve lifters similar to the type 4 and waterboxer lifters are used, so valves stay in adjustment and should not be adjusted between rebuilds.
2. Revised cylinder heads that take a ¾” reach sparkplug.
3. A full-flow filter pump is used with larger (30mm) gears for higher oil flow. This provides better filtering to avoid fouling the hydraulic lifters. Because of the higher oil flow, pressure is better maintained in hot climates. Factory spec oil is 15w40 for the Mexican climate range; but in a wider temperature climate a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic is more appropriate. The 70s dual relief oil pressure control is used. The spin-on filter is the same as used by most water-cooled VW 4-cyl engines, and the anti-drain back of the Vanagon waterboxer filter is helpful.
4. An electronic ignition distributor is used with no advance mechanism. Ignition advance is controlled by the electronic Engine Control Unit.
5. A combined ignition coil/spark control unit is used.
6. No thermostat or air shutters are used in the cooling system, as the ECU controls mixture during warmup to prevent fuel washing the cylinder walls. However, the fan shroud design has not changed, and the shutters and thermostat can be fitted (by drilling and tapping the case for the thermostat mounting stud) to provide better airflow for cold defrost of the windshield.
7. Fuel and ignition are controlled by a Digifant 1.82 ECU system. This system is unique to the air-cooled engine, although similar in concept and procedures to many VW cars. The control unit includes non-volatile memory for storing adaptation values matching the ECU to the car sensors, and for storing fault codes for diagnostics. The Digifant ECU communicates for adjustments and diagnostics. It is intended to use the VAG1552 or VAS5052 diagnostics tool used by VWoA dealerships. However, it does not use the now-standard 16 pin DLC connector as do US models, so it requires an adapter cable.

Sedan Ultima Edition
Digifant Fuel Injection, electronic ignition, catalytic converter, hydraulic valve lifters (never adjust valves), HD 9mm valve screws, inclined valves, modern spin on oil filter, Golf style front disc brakes fed from dual circuit master cylinder, fully reclining seats, full alarm system plus separate engine immobilizer, intermittent windshield wipers with electric washer, H4 halogen headlights, lockable engine lid, locking fuel cap, trunk liner, fully galvanized fuel tank, full sized spare tire, complete body cavity protection (wax based rust proofing like all late model VWs), spray on sound deadening compound in fender wells, engine house and chassis also like most modern cars... the best Volkswagen Beetle ever made (in my opinion). - Antonio Trejo

Also note that Beetles have been built in Mexico since the '50s. Generally when people mention 'Mexican Beetles', it is assumed that they mean post 1993 (the ACD engine era). Before 1993, the Mexican Beetles were much more like their German cousins than the post 1993 Beetles.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough response! Sounds like its safe to assume that if I take a later model Mexican but go my old school vw mechanic, they are not going to be as up to speed on it because of the electrical and engine differences. What about parts availability. I looked at a couple of the online sites and they don’t list anything past the late 70’s. I seems like I have to understand what I have and know the right part to order vs being about to go to Jbugs or WW and just ordering a given part based on year? Are there sites for the later model Mexican parts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The usual sources work for most of the stuff, Wolfsburg West, cip1, etc. I buy my oil filter at a VW dealer, as it's the same one as the Watercooled cars use, and they always have it in stock.
Other parts, such as the air intake valve is the same as watercooled cars, the trick is to know where to search and what to search for. Ask here, and we can help Smile .

There are also sellers on eBay (mostly out of Europe) that sell parts that fit the Mexican Beetles. For example I bought the crossover pipe for my exhaust from Germany on eBay. Usually a bit more $$ out of Europe. There are vendors over there as well, for example paruzzi.com in the Netherlands. They stock lots of Mexican Beetle parts (as the Mexican Beetles were sold all over Europe).

Antonio Trejo (mentioned above, he's on Samba and under Parts VW on facebook) is a great source for parts. He's in Mexico, very reliable and quick shipping.

(Some parts are the same as the old Beetles but were renumbered, can't think of a specific example, but [in some cases] the old number might have been 113 123 456, the Mexican Beetle number is BAA 234 456. There is no cross reference, you just have to 'know'.)
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I did search but I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I'll ask it here instead:

I need to remove the heads from my ACD engine to replace the leaking pushrod tubes and seals. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I start?
I'm thinking specifically about removing the rockers because I know you're not supposed to adjust the valve clearances on these engines.

I assume that if I just remove everything and make sure I replace it all exactly as it came off, it'll all be OK. Is that right?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

if you remove the heads, you'll have to reset the clearance to zero.

the process i've seen used (warning: never attempted this myself, just relaying information here) is as follows:

go in the firing order (1-4-3-2)
piston to TDC
undo the retaining nuts
unscrew slightly the adjuster to distance if from the valve stem
screw the adjusters back until they start to touch the valve stems (finger tight)
tighten the adjusters with 2 and a half turns
tigthen the retaining nuts.

I'm not sure how good is the procedure, if you speak spanish it's explained in the following video:

Link

if you don't the visuals are good, too.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
if you remove the heads, you'll have to reset the clearance to zero.

the process i've seen used (warning: never attempted this myself, just relaying information here) is as follows:

go in the firing order (1-4-3-2)
piston to TDC
undo the retaining nuts
unscrew slightly the adjuster to distance if from the valve stem
screw the adjusters back until they start to touch the valve stems (finger tight)
tighten the adjusters with 2 and a half turns
tigthen the retaining nuts.

I'm not sure how good is the procedure, if you speak spanish it's explained in the following video:

Link

if you don't the visuals are good, too.

Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish Sad

So it's just a case of setting the valve clearances in the normal way, but setting them to zero? That's easy enough then! Thanks Smile
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Veedweeb: there has to be someone local who can speak Spanish ...have you tried the local Uni???
veedweeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
Veedweeb: there has to be someone local who can speak Spanish ...have you tried the local Uni???

I'm in the Northwest of England - Spanish is not a common language over here at all. The uni is a good idea though, there must be a night school or something nearby. I might give that a go, thanks.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Final accords of Classic VW season in Russia. The season is closed Wink

Link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well I feel like a knuckle head …. took battery out found out it was swollen then I came back with fresh battery let the pump run then fired it up it ran for a while then it hesitated and now cranks and no run tried starting fluid nothing not even the smell of gas???? ...codes are clear and no bite... Unplugged battery and try again manana
No love thought no gas but has put more in still nothing
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

do you hear the pump whirring when you turn the key to on before cranking the engine?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

If the alarm relay is still installed, make sure it is off, as the car won't run with it engaged, (but the doors should trigger the rear horn if it was there, though).
Then, hear the pump. It should run a few seconds and shut off. (Without the alarm module, it should pump forever)

If the pump sounds right (i.e not like it is running empty, if that makes any sense), then you should check the relays under the hood, see if the computer is getting any power. Check all fuses.
Actually, if the scan tool communicates with the ECU, there should be power...

So, if it was running, and suddenly died, and no starter fluid does anything, check for spark.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Garba yes it whirring when cranking

Plaqos-q my alarm is off. Will check relays again tomorrow
Thanks Guys
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

message for Paul and all might remove later????

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'd remove that relay and directly connect the starter as it's supposed to be. It's much cleaner and would return the car to the stock setup.

I just happen to change my starter in the spring and took this pic:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Will do it soon have it on jacks...
Just curious in your photo whats the deal with the screw???
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

That's part of the bracket that holds the charcoal canister in place. I removed the canister and pulled the bracket back a bit as it was easier to get at the starter.

Here's a different angle, after I took the canister off, but before I pulled the bracket back (yes I take lots of pictures Smile ). You can see the old starter in this pic.

I replaced the canister a couple years ago, here's a pic of the new canister in place:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

now I know why there was a relay switch going to the starter motor...
Now starter will not crank...pump twiddles and nothing else.....
Still have plans to take it to the shop to see if they can solve the no crank without a relay puzzle
Oh Hopkins I might try to have mine match yours and see if that works...
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Found out what the relay is for its for Hot/Hard Start.... now the problem will be trying to figure how to put a hot start in my Mexi
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

you should not need a hard start relay if the electrical system is running as it is supposed to do.

check the voltage drop at the starter motor & ignition switch when you crank the engine... something may have gone bad, the hard start relay is a band-aid fix.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 89 of 193

Jump to: