Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Update:

Managed to run basic settings and also readjust the idle screw. I may still have to run it once more later, adjusting the idle screw again, but now it idles at around 900-1000 rpm, and recognises the TPS in 0 degrees as intended.
I suspect the IAC is at fault, as it was previously connected to the oil filler neck instead of the air filter.

At least, it shouldn't drink the entire gas tank in a few kms!

I don't think the inner hose is broken, as I've seen plenty of bugs with that problem, causing severe issues, and this one doesn't seem to show any of those.

Thank you for your input, GArBa
pathfinder_88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Ok folks, still trying to sort out my ‘95’s current no start issue. I determined I had no spark leading me to the hall sensor or the coil. When I ground the centre signal pin for the hall sensor on the distributor (from the tech videos I have watched) I should get spark at the coil and injectors cycling. I’m getting neither so I don’t believe it’s a coil issue. Probing the coil plug, all looks fine. I’ve ordered the hall sensor but I’m not thinking this is not the problem either. Am I into the ECU now? Are there specific grounds I should be checking? Relay/fuse I’m missing?
Thanks!
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Maybe, just maybe, the ignition is the issue? I saw a bug the other day where there is no spark while the starter is engaged, yet if the key is let go at the right time, the engine starts. Starting is tricky but possible. Otherwise, have you checked both relays at the front? What about the alarm system?
pathfinder_88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Here is the latest on my no spark situation:

Grounding the signal pin (centre) on the hall sensor plug DOES cycle the injectors however I get no spark at the coil. Testing the coil plug, I have power and ground and back probing to the ecu control looks fine. I had another coil on hand and tested it also, no spark. I took the ecu out to look for any burnt resistors, all looked fine (I know this isn’t definitive). The ecu relay is new. It would seem this is an issue with the coil being signaled to fire. I’ve removed the hall sensor as the issue by manually probing its signal to the coil. The coil is also not the issue. The coil wiring from the ecu to the coil appears and tests fine.

I’m not sure how the immobilizer works on the ‘95? Does it kill fuel or ignition? It has the cylinder on the drivers fender. I’ve never touched it. The issue started out gradually and has resolved in the car having no spark. I’m just about to take it to a mechanic unless anyone has any ideas?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I don't if this will help, here are a couple pages from the Digifant Workshop manual, not specifically for the Mexican Beetles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I've seen pictures of the bottom of the alternator stand, it has an o-ring on it.

Does anyone know if the 1600i stands have this baffle under it too?

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I have a spare alternator stand for the 1600i (ACD engine). It has a baffle built in, along with the seal that you refer to:

Here's a pic of the baffle:

My parts list shows that the baffle is used.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
dedtalasch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Colleagues, do you have experience in removing the steering shaft? I want to protect the lower part from corrosion, but I can't remove it.
I disconnected the bolts under the tank, removed all the equipment in the cabin, but something still interferes... I assume the shaft is moving forward? then the steering wheel adapter and bushing are what I need to remove?

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

dedtalasch wrote:
Colleagues, do you have experience in removing the steering shaft? I want to protect the lower part from corrosion, but I can't remove it.
I disconnected the bolts under the tank, removed all the equipment in the cabin, but something still interferes... I assume the shaft is moving forward? then the steering wheel adapter and bushing are what I need to remove?

This may help, an exploded view of the steering column:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
pathfinder_88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Folks,

Waiting on diagnostics on my ecu. I’m wondering, if it’s not easily fixed, if we have a source for used ecu’s?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

pathfinder_88 wrote:
Folks,

Waiting on diagnostics on my ecu. I’m wondering, if it’s not easily fixed, if we have a source for used ecu’s?

You can reach out to Antonio Trejo to see if he has a used source. I bought a new (spare) one from him a few years ago. They are not cheap. You could also look on facebook, one Mexican group I follow is Solo Vochos y Combis:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188786317972929

I've never bought anything there, but stuff comes up for sale all the time. The site was recommended to me when I was working in San Diego by the local VW club in San Diego.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
pathfinder_88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
pathfinder_88 wrote:
Folks,

You can reach out to Antonio Trejo to see if he has a used source. I bought a new (spare) one from him a few years ago. They are not cheap. You could also look on facebook, one Mexican group I follow is Solo Vochos y Combis:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/188786317972929

I've never bought anything there, but stuff comes up for sale all the time. The site was recommended to me when I was working in San Diego by the local VW club in San Diego.

Much appreciated. I didn’t think Antonio did used parts?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

pathfinder_88 wrote:

Much appreciated. I didn’t think Antonio did used parts?

I don't know if he does, but it's worth asking Smile .
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
mildensteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Well it is about time...

I purchased my 1996 City in 2004. The older guy I got it from didn't have any of the papers from Mexico. At the time I wasn't sure what was involved in getting it titled in Texas so didn't bother. But I also didn't drive it except up and down the street. Fast forward to 2021. Guess it is time. Anyone have recent experience, step by step, on how to do this in Texas now that the car is officially over 25 years old? I would like to drive it legally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hello where exactly is fuel filter on a 2003 i have vague idea it is accessed from underneath and is somewhere near the LH heat exchanger
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

nx6h wrote:
Hello where exactly is fuel filter on a 2003 i have vague idea it is accessed from underneath and is somewhere near the LH heat exchanger

Not the best pic, but you can see it at the top of this photo, left rear side. There is a strap welded to the floor section that holds it in place:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks car was driving fine when parked in 2019 . Took it to MOT (safety check) yesterday and after a few miles it started sputtering and then cut out and i had to get a tow home . Won't fire at all just turns over so going to try changing filter . i had fuel stabilizer in tank but petrol is about two years old
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ragami wrote:
... WVWZZZ11ZEM01o711 ... Ryan

I had an alpine white 1984 11EM010372 whilst living in the UK that I bought new in Aachen. Agreed that they were better built than Mexican domestic market models. The gearbox is a case in point - quality bearings. My '85 Jubilee is a daily driver with a 2L motor, and the original trans but with a 3.88 R&P and super diff.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A few pages before (#140) I talked about the oil condensation like a "cream" or "foam" .

Here's an example

This is the result of driving on winter in a city with wet weather. Only urban driving and short journeys.

Two weeks ago, during my last vacations I try to refill but the pipe was closed full of this cream! The oil fell from the refilling box becouse the hole was fully closed. After driving a pair of hours on the highway part of this cream was evaporated and then it was abel to refill the engine...

I don´t kown how I can solve this problem. Somebody says installing the thermostatic flap. Somebody says that it's a problem of breathing... My 1971 T2 Kombi doesn't have condensation problems.

Last edited by Pegasín on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Go with semi-synthetic or full-synthetic oil. It is far less hygroscopic.
Also, clean the elbow hose from the expansion chamber to the air filter, or your engine won't be able to suck back oily vapors and it will be keeping moisture in the chamber and increase the amount of emulsion.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 143 of 192

Jump to: