Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I've only seen Gerrelt's car without headliner (IIRC is a '97) and it doesn't. Mexican tutorials for pop out windows installation (do a youtube search for "ventanas abatibles vocho") show either self tapping screws or drill and rivets.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I have 66 popouts on my 2oo1 I do know that over the border in Mx they have a modern kits not sure if they have it here... its without chrome
aquavette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
I've only seen Gerrelt's car without headliner (IIRC is a '97) and it doesn't. Mexican tutorials for pop out windows installation (do a youtube search for "ventanas abatibles vocho") show either self tapping screws or drill and rivets.

Thanks, that is what I suspected.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
I have 66 popouts on my 2oo1 I do know that over the border in Mx they have a modern kits not sure if they have it here... its without chrome

Here's a couple pics of two different cars from Deco Haus' facebook page, not sure the years, but would be mid-90s as they are both Open Air cars.

I don't see any mounting points:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Further to that, Antonio was selling popouts for the Mexican Beetles a few years ago. I don't know if he still has these:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Yep those are the ones that Mercadolibre sells as shown by Hopkins
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

25 years ago today, June 5, 1996, my car rolled off the assembly line in Pueblo, still looking pretty good!

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

What's with 1600ide forum? I occasionally stop by and look for new info ect but there has been none for ages but site is still up. Anyone know anything about it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

rhd914 wrote:
What's with 1600ide forum? I occasionally stop by and look for new info ect but there has been none for ages but site is still up. Anyone know anything about it?

It's been offline for quite a few years. There hasn't been any updates on the website either.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Thedavevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a 97 mexi bug and need a new ignition transformer, can I use a standard round coil that the non fi bugs use? I'm not that familiar with coils so not sure if they do the same job
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thedavevw wrote:
Hi everyone, I have a 97 mexi bug and need a new ignition transformer, can I use a standard round coil that the non fi bugs use? I'm not that familiar with coils so not sure if they do the same job

Nope can you post a photo of the offending part? and the replacement is easy to find at VW parts stores, Auto part stores and magazines and even on Amazon...get the part number and Google away...Sam
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thedavevw wrote:

This is the one you should use, they were commonly used on the water-cooled cars so they are readily available.

I ordered a cheap one and it only lasted a year or so, I recommend ordering a better quality one (This is an old pic, I think this was the one that was on my car next to the box for the one I finally put on my car).

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thedavevw wrote:

OE in 1997 would have been "TEMIC" brand; Hopkin's had probably been already changed as they weren't of great quality to begin with. You can find the equivalent BERU for anything between 25-30 euros online. swapping it is literally a 3 minutes job.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Thedavevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have the telefunken unit on there and was just curious if it was interchangeable with the cylinder ones, not sure it's even faulty tbh, I couldn't find the correct ohms for that unit and im just trying to diagnos a running issue. I did try and hook my bug up to my laptop but it killed my laptop (cheap ebay obd11 to usb) so now trying to eliminate what it could be.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

OE in 1997 would have been "TEMIC" brand; Hopkin's had probably been already changed as they weren't of great quality to begin with. You can find the equivalent BERU for anything between 25-30 euros online. swapping it is literally a 3 minutes job.

I dug back in my records, the "Power Tran" one in my first photo is the one that was on my car when I bought it. It started to 'buzz' shortly after I bought the car, so I bought this cheap one on amazon:

It worked for a year or so and then started to 'buzz', like the old one, so I bought an OEM one (I checked this morning and it turns out to be a "TEMIC" brand, with the VW logo).

It has been working fine (for 8 years), so no issues. If it dies, I'll take Garba's advice and replace it with a BERU version.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thedavevw wrote:
Thanks guys, I have the telefunken unit on there and was just curious if it was interchangeable with the cylinder ones, not sure it's even faulty tbh, I couldn't find the correct ohms for that unit and im just trying to diagnos a running issue. I did try and hook my bug up to my laptop but it killed my laptop (cheap ebay obd11 to usb) so now trying to eliminate what it could be.

so to answer your question no, the 1600i "coil" is electronic and cannot be swapped with an older point-triggered coil.

frying the laptop is not normal, what kind of cable setup did you use? Are you running VCDS or VAG-COM?

please describe your issue, coil failure is usually audible or noticeable before is catastrophic (heat, buzzing...).
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My `95 original coil was "Telefunken". In 2008 I changed it for a "Temic" coil becouse engine started to stalled and I think that the problem was the coil (finally It was the Hall sender as I told in this thread)

Temic is OEM in many watercooled VAG euro models (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda...). I bougth my coil in an official VW service.

The "old" Telefunken style has a free wire with a plug, but I don´t know for what. For a tachometer maybe? Temic has not any free wire.

This is my `95 engine with the Temic coil installed since 2008
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thedavevw wrote:

we have a link to make your own OBDII connector cable also check youtube.com they have a how too next time look up a code reader called xtool VAG401 amazon has it along with said plugs and should save your pooter next time.... Sam
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Been driving my 2003 more with the nicer weather. Found a nice B-Dot CD player and speakers. Nice to have tunes after 17 years!

Thedavevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I think the lap top died because I was using a cheap ebay obd11 to usb, I was using vcds lite with homemade 3 pin to obd11 diagram from here and YouTube, double and triple checked and it was wired correctly. The issues my bug is having is kinda feels like a small vacuum leak but I cant find a leak anywhere, if I blip the throttle the revs slightly drop before picking up, also when I release the throttle the revs drop below idle and pick up again. Also when I start it she fires right up no problem and idles great, after a couple minutes the idle gets a bit lumpy on the verge of stalling. This car was sitting in a field for 7 years before I got it. Now I have got a scanner and read the codes they are
00523 air intake sensor. (I disconnected this while it was last running so maybe why it's showed up)
00519 manifold abs. Press. Is this a serviceable/replaceable part?
00525 oxygen sensor.

Oh I thought it may have been the coil because the laptop couldn't connect to the bug and I see a post on here that says a faulty coil could be a reason, thought might as well try a new one
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

sounds the same as a case we had some days ago; check the MAP sensor. it is physically located inside the ECU, soldered to its board and connects to the manifold through a small plastic (usually green, I've seen also white) hose with rubber joints. check the hose and the joints. There is also a small length of rubber hose inside the ECU housing connecting the sensor proper to the vacuum connection on the plug side of the ECU box.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 145, 146, 147 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 146 of 193

Jump to: