Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Here's an interesting video about some of the last Beetles to be manufactured, the Ultima Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVQjxQRjtc
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

@ radstude

Much thanks! The photo has the threads and the part number. Excellent. thank you!
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
@ radstude

Much thanks! The photo has the threads and the part number. Excellent. thank you!

Just be aware the new ones may not have the pt# on them and will get a generic one which I am guess is similar to the Golf MKII
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Noted. Thank you. Golf II should be easy to find.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

One nice thing about the cold (-20C) weather is that the roads are dry, just some salt dust, so why not kick off the 2022 driving season a little early this year Smile .
Bonus ... the car runs great at that temperature.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Another Ultima Edition video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m_4txQBf60
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I picked up another Mexican built VW in November, I can't believe I forgot to post anything. It's a 2015 Golf, very basic, but I got a good deal on it, mint condition, low mileage, full mechanical history. It is an automatic, which was almost a deal-breaker, but it was such a good deal I couldn't pass on it. And yes, I'm keeping the '91 Civic as well.

No worries, I'll post any questions about it on the appropriate thread, not this one:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

1st gear: 380
2nd gear: 206
3rd gear: 132
4th gear: 0.82
Ring and pinion (final drive ratio): 4.12

I believe those are stock 1-3. So far, I'm really happy with it.

Going back, having 3rd a little taller would have been nice.

I would never build a transmission with that 3rd and 4th. The gap is too big. The 1.32 3rd gear is from an early 1200cc Beetle. You need the later 1.26 3rd gear.

If you have the stock Mexican Beetle size tire, 155/80/15, you should upgrade to 165s. Then your 4th gear should be a .89 to close the huge gap even more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Irun5k any news are you giving up for an easier buy???
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

I would never build a transmission with that 3rd and 4th. The gap is too big. The 1.32 3rd gear is from an early 1200cc Beetle. You need the later 1.26 3rd gear.

If you have the stock Mexican Beetle size tire, 155/80/15, you should upgrade to 165s. Then your 4th gear should be a .89 to close the huge gap even more.

You are correct, after putting some miles on the Bug in different conditions, the tranny is coming back out. The gap between 3-4 is too large to make it driveable. Little bummed as I deferred to the builder to provide what would work.

Oh well, we live and sometimes learn, right?

Not certain I'm willing to give up that sweet 18% overdriven final though. 75mph is SOOOO nice.

Looking into a 5sp conversion. $$$ I know, but that's okay.
ChiefsBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1991 1600 L (not 1600i) Beetle in mexico. I need to upgrade the brakes to disks (forgot how bad drums really were, ugh).

I see U.S. parts categorize the brake years for beetles like this. Does anyone have guidance on what year brakes would match a 1991 Beetle made in Mexico?

46-57 BEETLE BRAKES
58-64 BEETLE BRAKES
65-67 BEETLE BRAKES
68-77 STD BEETLE BRAKES
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ChiefsBuggy wrote:
68-77 STD BEETLE BRAKES

This.

Beware, many of the cheaper kits give you a flimsy thin bracket to bolt onto your existing drum brake spindle. Look for a kit that has new one piece forged steel disc brake spindles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

You are correct, after putting some miles on the Bug in different conditions, the tranny is coming back out. The gap between 3-4 is too large to make it driveable. Little bummed as I deferred to the builder to provide what would work.

Not certain I'm willing to give up that sweet 18% overdriven final though. 75mph is SOOOO nice.

Did confirm I have the 126 3rd and more driving sees me getting more used to the gap between 3rd and 4th.

That said, I'm having a 5spd built. I want my 4 3.88 R&P late box gears and overdriven 5th.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

Did confirm I have the 126 3rd and more driving sees me getting more used to the gap between 3rd and 4th.

That said, I'm having a 5spd built. I want my 4 3.88 R&P late box gears and overdriven 5th.

If you're becoming more used to the gap, why not wait on the 5 speed?

If you do go with a 5 speed, IMO the 3.88 would be a mistake. A 4.12 is the ideal R&P for a Mexican Beetle. It gives you good take-off in 1st gear, and you can pick any 4th gear you want to use as 5th to generate the same ratio as if you used a 3.88 R&P. Since you can generate the exact same final drive ratio in 5th with either R&P, the only thing the 3.88 does is make your car sluggish off the line.

For a stock Mexican Beetle, the ideal top gear is 0.89 on a 4.12 R&P. If you go taller, you'll get worse mileage, have slower acceleration on the freeway, and your engine will run hotter.
If you find you like the 4.12 x .82 you have now, you can always build the 5 speed with that top gear. Going taller than your existing 4 speed is a huge mistake.

Here's an example of what I would recommend:

Or for a shorter 5th gear:
Both on a 4.12 R&P.

If you have deeper pockets, use a shorter 2nd gear too. The current gap 3.78 to 2.06 is the ideal gap for a 4 speed. It's too wide for an optimized 5 speed. The shorter 2.25 autostick second gear is the way to go.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

Will you have enough power in the engine to drive the higher R & P?
Also you will be slowing the engine RPM down, so your engine may be running warmer. The original 4:23 R&P works great threw the gears, it's at the top end that the 5th would nice. In The Northwest the heat may not be a big thing, but here on the East Coast in the summer would not be good.
Just a thought, increase the HP. The fuel injection can handle a build to a 1835. 1776 is for low end power, 1835 is good for top end power. The injector size is questionable on a 1914cc.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

ChiefsBuggy wrote:
I just purchased a 1991 1600 L (not 1600i) Beetle in mexico. I need to upgrade the brakes to disks (forgot how bad drums really were, ugh).

I see U.S. parts categorize the brake years for beetles like this. Does anyone have guidance on what year brakes would match a 1991 Beetle made in Mexico?

46-57 BEETLE BRAKES
58-64 BEETLE BRAKES
65-67 BEETLE BRAKES
68-77 STD BEETLE BRAKES

Any luck????
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Responding to a few of the FF gear options:

My MexiBug and Wife's 77' Vert have almost identical power. The MexiBug has a bit more TQ and is smoother. Both Bugs in top condition and run as new.

I LOVE the gearbox in the 1977, I wish so much I had those 4 gears exactly in my MexiBug with an overdriven 5th. Oh wait, that's what I'm having built.

I know the only time I'm going to use 5th will be on flat road where I can run 70+ keeping the RPM's up. Not going to be running 5th at 55MPH.

I couldn't stand the original MexiBug gears. 1st was worthless 80% of the time. The MexiBug engine is such a stump puller usually used 2nd on flat ground.

I'm certain I'll get bashed for my decision, but it's what I want and can't wait for the 5spd.

Loving the 4.12 FF I'm running now, just hard to run at say 50MPH. Little fast for 3rd and little low for 4th. The gap between 3rd and 4th really need something like 75+hp to pull 4th.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Responding to a few of the FF gear options:

My MexiBug and Wife's 77' Vert have almost identical power. The MexiBug has a bit more TQ and is smoother. Both Bugs in top condition and run as new.

I LOVE the gearbox in the 1977, I wish so much I had those 4 gears exactly in my MexiBug with an overdriven 5th. Oh wait, that's what I'm having built.

I know the only time I'm going to use 5th will be on flat road where I can run 70+ keeping the RPM's up. Not going to be running 5th at 55MPH.

I couldn't stand the original MexiBug gears. 1st was worthless 80% of the time. The MexiBug engine is such a stump puller usually used 2nd on flat ground.

I'm certain I'll get bashed for my decision, but it's what I want and can't wait for the 5spd.

Loving the 4.12 FF I'm running now, just hard to run at say 50MPH. Little fast for 3rd and little low for 4th. The gap between 3rd and 4th really need something like 75+hp to pull 4th.

Go forward & enjoy! Do it your way, that's what it's all about.
TwoUptons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi All,

This is my first post with a new account, but I've lurked here for years, and I'm pretty sure I had an account a million years ago that probably went away when the admins stopped using punchcards.

I'm trying to put my Grandmother's old 1973 Mexi-Beetle back on the road after 9+ years of sitting (stuck valve).

I'm running into all the normal problems I'm used to (what year is it at the US parts shop?), especially since my Grandmother took out the 1500 and dropped in a 1600 DP when she got it used in 1974 (PO had baked the 1500 after neglecting to put oil in again after a change).

Is there a good cross reference for that kind of thing? It's a weird combo otherwise... low back seats, single-circuit brakes, no rear heat, that 68-style transaxle...

My plan is to get it running, then start the updates/repairs after I know it can go... so advice on that front is also appreciated (the brakes are high on that list).

Thanks,

-Eric
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I just received a new VIN chart from OMNICAR and have a few questions regarding the 12th digit (shown in the first chart as the '0', '5' or '9' after the 'M').

1) Could anyone interested confirm the '0', '5' or '9' based on your year.

According to Nicholas' book, VW started to assign a 17 digit VIN in 1995, but I'm curious if they did that for only the cars exported to Europe. That is, did the domestic cars have a 17 digit VIN for 1995-1997?

I know they do from 1998 on, when VW introduced the New Beetle (as model 1C in the VIN), a 17 digit VIN that conformed to the North American standard was used showing model 1B for the air-cooled Beetles. Prior to that the model was '11' (as shown here):

My car is a '96, the model is an '11' and the 17-digit VIN does not conform the North American standard (with digits 4-6 properly populated and a check digit). (It looks like the first one, 3VWZZZ....)

Another thing to note, OMNICAR had 26 cars especially built for them as shown on the last line on the first chart under 2004. These cars were built after the last Ultima Edcion, the engine numbers are higher than the last 'official' car:
http://sebeetles.com/omnicar_last_edition/

Which got me thinking, and yes I'm bored right now.....

I did a calculation by adding the last 5 digits of my VIN to the last engine number from '95 (according to Nicholas' chart). In theory that should equal the engine number.

It was (for example as I don't want to post all the actual numbers):
VIN = 3VWZZZ113TM512345 (not my actual VIN)
last '95 Engine code = ACD200671

200671 + 12345 = 213016.

If the car/engines were assembled in order then the engine number should match ACD213016.

I did that calculation for my car and the engine number matches the calculation.

Which tells me one of two possibilties:
1) they assembled the cars/engines in order
or
2) they assigned the engine number after the engine was put into the car (most likely).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 154 of 192

Jump to: