Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airkewld0scar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake conversion for Mexican sedan beetle Reply with quote

nagerjaeger wrote:
airkewld0scar wrote:
Has anyone done a full disk conversion on their sedan model (rear drum, disk front).

I see a lot of kits online that supposedly fit the Mexican beetles, but I'm not sure how plug and play'able they really are.

Thanks

I converted my 1998 City Car with the EMPI kit. It was an easy job with clear instructions.

Thanks, ill look at their kits.
Any issues with quality or fitment?
2007 GTI (past)
2015 GTI (past)
1998 Mexican Sedan (current)
nagerjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: disk brake conversion for Mexican sedan beetle Reply with quote

airkewld0scar wrote:
nagerjaeger wrote:
airkewld0scar wrote:
Has anyone done a full disk conversion on their sedan model (rear drum, disk front).

I see a lot of kits online that supposedly fit the Mexican beetles, but I'm not sure how plug and play'able they really are.

Thanks

I converted my 1998 City Car with the EMPI kit. It was an easy job with clear instructions.

Quality seemed excellent and not issues with fitment.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger side brake pedal Reply with quote

airkewld0scar wrote:
Has anyone ever installed an additional brake pedal on the passenger side? I have a health need to have a brake pedal on the passenger side in case of emergencies, but im only aware of the driver training cable setups.

You could get a set of RHD pedals, then install a master cylinder on the right side. From there, you just join up all the tubes so that either master cylinder will provide the pressure to apply the brakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Front Seat Question

My front seats had been incorrectly installed and didn't adjust forward/back, but the mounting looks straight forward and I will try and fix. However, there are other seat issues (mainly the driver's seat, but the passenger one isn't much better).

Flip mechanism. Incredibly stiff. Can't slide the knob up to get the seat to flip forward. Obviously needs some lube/adjust. Where to start?

Seatback angle adjustment wheel. Really stiff. With much effort, can make the seat angle forwards. Will not angle back, even back to the start point. Again, where to start?

Much thanks!
airkewld0scar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: disk brake conversion for Mexican sedan beetle Reply with quote

nagerjaeger wrote:
airkewld0scar wrote:
nagerjaeger wrote:
airkewld0scar wrote:

Thanks

Did you do both front and rear or just front?
part number?
Quality seemed excellent and not issues with fitment.

2007 GTI (past)
2015 GTI (past)
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

how the heck does one post a new topic on the Mexican beetles forum?!! I'm looking everywhere but I don't see a new topic button or link
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

MDeath wrote:
how the heck does one post a new topic on the Mexican beetles forum?!! I'm looking everywhere but I don't see a new topic button or link

Hi "M", this is just one topic on thesamba, it's not a forum by itself. You can start a new topic on thesamba by clicking Forums, there instructions on how to start a new topic.

If your topic is Mexican Beetle related I suggest including "Mexican Beetle" as part of the topic, so that other Mexican Beetle owners will see it.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The original topic for this thread (before it became a sticky) was post pics of your Mexican &/or Brazilian Beetles. In the spirit of that, here's a pic of my car I took tonight:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I went to Peru last year and my gallery is has some Mexican and Brazilian beetles. It was fun spotting them.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Floor Bolt Question

I'm trying to put the interior back into my 1600i. Today did not go well. Evil or Very Mad

There are two threaded bolts coming out of the floor on each side of the car. There are little plastic 'muchrooms' that screw onto these bolts and they hold the front mats in place. Well, the mushrooms are missing. I used the ones I had in visible locations and decided on nuts and very fat washers for the floor. I even painted them black.

So, I took a 'mushroom' to the hardware store and they used their sizing board to say it was M6. I got M6 nuts and some washers. Washers are fine. It's not M6. M6 is too big and just slips down the bolt. I have some M4s which took a few hours to find. They are definitely too small. So I went and made a special trip to get some M5 nuts to finish this (simple?) job. The M5s don't fit. They go on but won't tighten.

So, anyone know the thread size for nuts for these bolts. M6 is too big. M4 is too small. M5 doesn't fit. I didn't think there was anything Imperial on the car.

Help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Sambas.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Floor Bolt Question

So, anyone know the thread size for nuts for these bolts. M6 is too big. M4 is too small. M5 doesn't fit. I didn't think there was anything Imperial on the car.

Help and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Sambas.

Just a guess, but there are two different thread pitches for each "M" thread, maybe a different pitch, here's a chart:

https://fullerfasteners.com/tech/basic-metric-thread-chart-m1-m100-2/
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
wil7496
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Still struggling with my engine guys and here in UK it's proving nigh on impossible to get any help.
Here is a brief explanation of my problem;
On initial start up from cold, the engine idles very high, so much so, I can drive away without touching the accelerator, but, if I turn the engine off and then restart, it idles correctly.
I have plugged it into the diagnostics but this is showing no error codes.
I have just this minute replaced the TPS sensor but sadly this has made no difference. I have now ordered an engine coolant temp sensor as I know from previous experience, if this sensor fails it can cause engine to idle high but I'm at a total loss as to why after shutting down and restarting, it idles fine.
Just to confirm the checks I've made; the accelerator cable is free and not snagging and the butterfly in throttle body, opens and closes as expected. All vac lines appear free from any splits or damage (although these are my next considerations to change although, again here in UK, I'm struggling to identify correct vac pipes and connectors to replace them with).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
airkewld0scar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: 1998 mexican sedan not running Reply with quote

I was able to get a cable to connect vdcs to the car and got the following

Fault Codes

1 Fault Found:

00522-Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)

30-00- Open or Short to Plus

Not sure if this is accurate as the error is related to coolant?

Thanks

Edit
Found this on a diagnostics manual i have

Engine Temperature Sensor G27,Defective part or corroded
Open circuit or short circuit

Which is a sensor on top of cylinder 4
2007 GTI (past)
2015 GTI (past)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

precisely. engine coolant sensor and engine temperature sensor are one and the same on a 1600i bug. It's also a quite common part to get faulty.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'm making my own OBD2 16-to-3 pin adaptor.

But before wiring I have this doubt: is the pin choice correct?

I'm using this spare parts:
-Male VAG 357972763 (eBay)

-OBDII extension cable (Amazon)

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

That's correct, #4, #7, #16
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Pegasín wrote:
I'm making my own OBD2 16-to-3 pin adaptor.
But before wiring I have this doubt: is the pin choice correct?
I'm using this spare parts:
-Male VAG 357972763 (eBay)
-OBDII extension cable (Amazon)

Thanks!
Bien Hecho muchaco well done...Sam
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Good job! I too used a home made one for years before being able to source an original from Antonio!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

OK
Thanks!

GArBa wrote:
Good job! I too used a home made one for years before being able to source an original from Antonio!

A few months a go I sent a message to Antonio but he told me that the original adaptor is out of stock.

But looking for alternatives I found your message on page #7 of this thread with the spare parts for make it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkewld0scar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reputable/honest shops on south Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) Reply with quote

I’ve done most I can to get my car running again.
Recently I posted about my 98 sedan shutting off right after starting. The car sat with gas for 8 months, so it’s likely something is clogged up in the fuel system. I did replace the fuel in the tank, but it’s likely that the injectors need cleaning or replacing.

I don’t feel comfortable doing that kind of work on my garage so I’m looking for suggestions of good shops in the Fort Lauderdale area.

I did replace the engine temp sensor, so no more fault codes Smile
Thanks
2007 GTI (past)
2015 GTI (past)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 168, 169, 170 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 169 of 192

Jump to: