Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

1998 Mexica Beetle. Purchased a 1998 Mexican Beetle. When starting for the first cold time it needs me to press the gas to keep it running till it warms up. It won't idle or stay on until it reaches a certain temp then its fine. It will start up and idle once warmed up. Is there some type of method to engage a choke? Or is it a throttle temp sensor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

johny__utah wrote:
1998 Mexica Beetle. Purchased a 1998 Mexican Beetle. When starting for the first cold time it needs me to press the gas to keep it running till it warms up. It won't idle or stay on until it reaches a certain temp then its fine. It will start up and idle once warmed up. Is there some type of method to engage a choke? Or is it a throttle temp sensor?

could be a fault in the engine temperature sensor, is the setup stock or modified?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
johny__utah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Yes, stock setup. Thank you I will start there. I appreciate the response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kurt T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I am looking for a horn slip ring for my 1999 Mexican beetle. It has two contacts points as opposed to the single wire on most US bugs. Any help would be appreciated
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Kurt T. wrote:
I am looking for a horn slip ring for my 1999 Mexican beetle. It has two contacts points as opposed to the single wire on most US bugs. Any help would be appreciated

They are available in the aftermarket, I bought the blue one (pics below) as a spare years ago, last year I removed the OEM one (black) from a wrecked '83 Beetle. You should be able to use one from a MK2 Golf or Rabbit, 90s or earlier. The PN can be seen in one my pics:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looking to change my transmission fluid in my 2002 Mexican beetle. Just wondering what the recommended grade is and if anyone has run synthetic vs conventional.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:
Looking to change my transmission fluid in my 2002 Mexican beetle. Just wondering what the recommended grade is and if anyone has run synthetic vs conventional.

Thanks!

I work at a part store, and we recommend running the right fluid and if ATF always synthetic as it will run smoother and will be better, if flushing flush the replace with Syn
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:

Thanks!

When I bought my 2002 Mex. Bug, I changed the trans gear oil.
My 2nd gear has always grinded into gear, unless you shifted slow.
When I went to full synthetic, it didn't grind as easy. I have 102,500 km
& is doing fine. I Use Valvoline 75W-90 Full Synthetic.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
jmott76 wrote:

Thanks!

When I bought my 2002 Mex. Bug, I changed the trans gear oil.
My 2nd gear has always grinded into gear, unless you shifted slow.
When I went to full synthetic, it didn't grind as easy. I have 102,500 km
& is doing fine. I Use Valvoline 75W-90 Full Synthetic.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a switch to synthetic might be the way to go. My gears are shifting smoothly for now but a nice full synthetic might make them shift like butter.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:

I changed my tranny fluid at 165,000 km and the old oil was very clean. I used Castrol 80W90 and changed the gas filter at the same time. That was 2 years and 29,000 km ago (194,000 km on the car now). I've had no problems shifting or grinding of gears.

I rigged up a stand with a camera tripod, funnel and some rubber hose:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
jmott76 wrote:

I changed my tranny fluid at 165,000 km and the old oil was very clean. I used Castrol 80W90 and changed the gas filter at the same time. That was 2 years and 29,000 km ago (194,000 km on the car now). I've had no problems shifting or grinding of gears.

I rigged up a stand with a camera tripod, funnel and some rubber hose:

That’s brilliant! I’ll bet not a drop was spilled. It looks as though you stuck with conventional gear oil?

I haven’t got a clue as to how many kms ago my fluid was changed if ever as I brought this car up from Mexico City with no maintenance documentation so a quick change will add to some peace of mind that it’s been done.

In regards to the fuel filter, how did you reference the correct filter for the car given that this isn’t a model that can be easily looked up in the filter catalogue.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:
I’ll bet not a drop was spilled. It looks as though you stuck with conventional gear oil?
In regards to the fuel filter, how did you reference the correct filter for the car given that this isn’t a model that can be easily looked up in the filter catalogue.

Thanks, just a couple drops, the rig worked quite well. And also yes I went with conventional, that's what was called for in the workshop manual (80W90) [see below].

I found the cross reference on www.1600i.de. The Bosch filter is available at cip1 (I bought mine there). It is the same dimensions as the original filter and will fit perfectly in the bracket under the car.

For reference here's a picture of the original VW filter and the Bosch filter and a comparison picture. I wrapped some electrical tape around the filter (where the bracket fits):

Here's the page from the manual, note that the gear ratios in the manual are incorrect, there is a discussion way back on this thread, the red shows the values I was given at that time:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
jmott76 wrote:
I’ll bet not a drop was spilled. It looks as though you stuck with conventional gear oil?

Thanks, just a couple drops, the rig worked quite well. And also yes I went with conventional, that's what was called for in the workshop manual (80W90) [see below].

I found the cross reference on www.1600i.de. The Bosch filter is available at cip1 (I bought mine there). It is the same dimensions as the original filter and will fit perfectly in the bracket under the car.

For reference here's a picture of the original VW filter and the Bosch filter and a comparison picture. I wrapped some electrical tape around the filter (where the bracket fits):

Here's the page from the manual, note that the gear ratios in the manual are incorrect, there is a discussion way back on this thread, the red shows the values I was given at that time:

Thanks Hopkin, I really appreciate you taking the time to get me that info and provide some pics. You probably saved me a couple of trips to the parts store as I’m sure I would have gotten the wrong filter! Thanks again.
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I’m looking at replacing all of the existing 20 year old fuel lines on my 2002 Mexican beetle. I had a high pressure line let go earlier this season in my garage so as a preventive measure I’d like the update all of it with fresh lines.

Would anyone happen to know approximately how many feet of rubber fuel line is needed to replace all the lines? I plan to replace it all with higher psi rated fuel injector hose including any of the lower pressure stuff such as the line coming down from the tank and into the pump.

Hopefully someone has done this before and might recall how much hose they used roughly.

Thanks everyone.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:
I’m looking at replacing all of the existing 20 year old fuel lines on my 2002 Mexican beetle. I had a high pressure line let go earlier this season in my garage so as a preventive measure I’d like the update all of it with fresh lines.

Would anyone happen to know approximately how many feet of rubber fuel line is needed to replace all the lines? I plan to replace it all with higher psi rated fuel injector hose including any of the lower pressure stuff such as the line coming down from the tank and into the pump.

Hopefully someone has done this before and might recall how much hose they used roughly.

Thanks everyone.

I did this on my 2003 last year while I had the engine out. I think you can get everything from filter to injectors with 12feet. I can't remember what the front took around the fuel pump. I did that two years ago when the pump failed.

Make sure if you need clamps to use the proper FI clamps, no worm clamps on high pressure lines.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Picture from when I had engine out last year. Made replacing the lines around the engine very easy. Only 13k miles on the Bug, but after 19 years, glad to replace them.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Picture from when I had engine out last year. Made replacing the lines around the engine very easy. Only 13k miles on the Bug, but after 19 years, glad to replace them.

What size fuel lines did you use?
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Highvdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hello all. I’m the proud new owner of a 1998 mexi bug “open air” with 2,300 original miles. I’m a vw nut my whole life and have had many air cooled cars over the years but of course this is my first vocho so I’ve read this whole thread before asking any stupid questions, and as such I almost feel like I already know some of you guys lol. Any questions that I did have have already been answered just by reading this thread so thank you all for all the valuable information and links to even more information. I’ve lurked on the samba for years and never joined (in fact I have no idea how most of the functions even work on here as I’ve never posted on any forums before today). I just wanted to say hi and post a pic of my car. Actually I do still have one question.. have any of you guys heard of Bug World in Fulton Ca? That’s the original seller of mine I believe because there’s a sticker in passenger door jamb. Well again thanks for all your input into getting information out about these awesome little cars I’ll post a picture or two if I can figure out how.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Highvdubguy wrote:
Hello all. I’m the proud new owner of a 1998 mexi bug “open air” with 2,300 original miles. ...

Welcome, can't wait to see some pics of your car, please post. Here's some links that might be of interest to you:

There is a forum here on thesamba for the "Open Air" cars, has some technical info and photos there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677354

There is also a facebook group for Open Air cars:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1581580365490543

Also check out Gerrelt's blog that details the replacement of his roof, lots of photos. I suspect that your car would have a 3rd generation roof, slightly different mechanism, specifically your motor that operates the roof is located in the front (the older ones have the [roof] motor in the back). Most (all) of the US based cars that I know of have this style:
http://www.gerrelt.nl/1600i-open-air-roof-replacement.html

Also Deco Haus in Germany remanufactures parts, including a replacement roof, here is their facebook page and website:
https://www.facebook.com/decohaus/
http://www.decohaus.de/
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Pegasín wrote:
Finally I found a set of center covers for the wheels!

Now I'm looking for the appropriate bolts covers. Some suggestion?

I have a similar set of 'chrome' caps, I bought these a few years ago but never installed them.

I run the black caps in the second picture with black covers over the lug nuts, I think chrome covers on the lug nuts (or just chrome lug nuts) would look nice with your chrome cap:

New hubcaps and bolt covers installed

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 172 of 193

Jump to: