Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:
OR:

Can the Mexican Bug heads be swapped out for better heads already flycut with larger valves etc.?

Knowing I'd probably need to drill/tap for CHT.

Would be nice to get another few HP while it's out.

I'm not sure about machining of the heads, the cylinders should fit the case fine. You can build the engine as big as a 1914cc, 1835cc is a better stopping point for the fuel injection. When I was checking into building a bigger engine, the crankshaft was the issue. Mexican 1600i is a cast crankshaft, not as strong as a forged crankshaft. 5000 RPM's is the max for a cast crankshaft, Forged crankshaft is 7000 to 8000 RPM. It would be better to start from the crankshaft, then build from there. I just know how I drive my bug, I DRIVE IT.

Good points, I might just have a 1776 built that still has Hydro lifters and cam that works with the stock FI. I could do CW crank, smoother engine. It's like a can of worms!

Very Happy
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

HI Sambas,

You've all given me a lot of help since I got my 1600i.

thank you & happy holidays
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I agree, thanks to all who help out on The Samba. Most appreciated.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Nice to have a little time off and tinker on my Bug.

Anyone know if the ign switch can be swapped out for an MK1 or MK2 can be swapped to enable the accessory function?

If remember correctly, key in would allow radio use (didn't need to rotate key)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Nice to have a little time off and tinker on my Bug.

Anyone know if the ign switch can be swapped out for an MK1 or MK2 can be swapped to enable the accessory function?

I was lucky to have mine replaced with a generic Porsche 911 switch which works better that the after market VW one
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Valve timing

Hi Sambas,

I've been hearing an occasional "phuut" sound at high revs and it was recommended that I check the valves on my 1600i. I do not know when they were last checked/adjusted.

Now, I've seen the youtube videos on adjusting the solid valves on older Bugs, but I've never done it with HYDRAULIC values.

So, what are the valve clearances for a 1600i?

What is the adjusting procedure for hydraulic valves? I'll need the 'for Dummies' step by step version. I do have a feeler gauge.

Much thanks!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

You don't adjust them.

The lash is automatically taken out when the lifter is pumped up. If there's wear, it is compensated for. The range they can compensate for is about a mm either way. If you think you are outside that range, your cam and/or lifters are shot, so adjusting won't help.

I've never checked the lash on my Mexi. In fact, the only reason I removed one side's valve cover is because it was leaking. The other has never been off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Just adjust to 0.0 lash, then adjust 1 turn in. Unless you have a loose rocker arm, or it’s noisy, just leave it alone.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi Sambas,

I've got conflicting info on the valves. HOWEVER, I took the car out for a drive yesterday. It ran nicely. I noticed I wasn't letting it get to the high revs that caused the backfire. I hit 20km/h is first as I changed up and all was good.

So, just leave it? I wasn't sure what else could cause the backfire. The coil is new. I didn't think we 'time' the FI cars. That's why I asked about the valves.

Thanks
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I would leave it, as others have said, hydro lifters shouldn't need to be touched.

As for the backfiring, not sure what to make of that. Maybe a sticky valve for a few miles? My 1600i doesn't like to sit more than about a week. I have one lifter that bleeds off quickly and takes forever to pump back up. So I try to drive the Bug weekly at least.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Each year a house in our area is decorated with a movie theme, 2 years ago it was Christmas Vacation, last year was Home Alone, this year is Elf.

Here is this year's display.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(The owner encourages anyone who enjoys his display to donate to the local Children's Hospital [CHEO]).

Just an update, the house display raised over $25,000 for CHEO over Christmas/new Years, over $140,000 since 2020.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/stittsville-family-raise...-1.6214981
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
I would leave it, as others have said, hydro lifters shouldn't need to be touched.

As for the backfiring, not sure what to make of that. Maybe a sticky valve for a few miles? My 1600i doesn't like to sit more than about a week. I have one lifter that bleeds off quickly and takes forever to pump back up. So I try to drive the Bug weekly at least.

Thanks, Root Werks. The Bug had been sitting unused for a good three weeks when this happened. I only started it to keep the battery charged and things lubricated. Unfortunately, we have been having "non-Bug" weather.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
hopkin wrote:
Each year a house in our area is decorated with a movie theme, 2 years ago it was Christmas Vacation, last year was Home Alone, this year is Elf.

Here is this year's display.

(The owner encourages anyone who enjoys his display to donate to the local Children's Hospital [CHEO]).

Just an update, the house display raised over $25,000 for CHEO over Christmas/new Years, over $140,000 since 2020.
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/stittsville-family-raise...-1.6214981

WOW! Great way to raise funds!
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

Thanks, Root Werks. The Bug had been sitting unused for a good three weeks when this happened. I only started it to keep the battery charged and things lubricated. Unfortunately, we have been having "non-Bug" weather.

Yup, that's my issue as well. Mostly don't mind driving the Bug in the rain, but we've been getting some snow. Means a bunch of gunk on the roads. After almost 20 years now, my 2003 Bug has only 13K miles on it. Still looks and smells like a new car.

-Dan
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I bought 34 PICT-3 carburetor for Mexican engines. I found that they blocked the Vacuum port which should be connected to the SVDA!!!
Is that OK?!!

In Paruzzi company said "Paruzzi 4425 34 PICT-3 for Mexican engines

This carburetor is designed for the latest generation Mexican engines that were equipped with a vacuum system. This is a high quality reproduction that is often preferred to Paruzzi 2142 where the vacuum system is removed."

Check the link: https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/engine/carburetor-air-filter-inlet-manifold/4425/

Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

pharos wrote:
I bought 34 PICT-3 carburetor for Mexican engines. I found that they blocked the Vacuum port which should be connected to the SVDA!!!
Is that OK?!!

In Paruzzi company said "Paruzzi 4425 34 PICT-3 for Mexican engines

This carburetor is designed for the latest generation Mexican engines that were equipped with a vacuum system. This is a high-quality reproduction that is often preferred to Paruzzi 2142 where the vacuum system is removed."

Check the link: https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/engine/carburetor-air-filter-inlet-manifold/4425/

I also bought one of these from a Mexican parts website and it is the recommended carb for the cars...so no stress also this is what the webpage says about this carb:(translated from Spanish)

Engine Carburetor with Voltmax Altimetric System for VW Sedan 1600, Combi 1600, Brasilia, Safari, Ant
It is an iconic part of a car, always related to the power of the car, it is part of the general culture, but few people really know what it is for. To better understand what a carburetor is, let's use an analogy: If the car were a person, and gasoline were food, then the engine would be the stomach where that food (Gasoline) would be digested, right? Well then the carburetor becomes: The mouth. Yes, the carburetor is what the vocho and any other car that runs on gasoline use to eat gasoline and air, how does it do it? It has a small deposit or tank integrated where they store a portion of fuel, that is, the cheeks, going back to the comparisons, from there they enter the engine through a circle that opens and closes to the rhythm of the accelerator pedal and looks nothing more than curious, they call that part "Throat", gasoline and oxygen reach the engine and digestion begins, or combustion already returning to the automotive context. The hoses that the carburetor has are for supplying gasoline and it has another small hose that connects with the distributor, only air circulates here, air that moves the pulse transmitter and sets the work rate of the spark plugs depending on how much gasoline is being used. requiring to move. It only has one electrical component, the electromagnetic valve, which is the primitive version of the valve. The hoses that the carburetor has are for supplying gasoline and it has another small hose that connects with the distributor, only air circulates here, air that moves the pulse transmitter and sets the work rate of the spark plugs depending on how much gasoline is being used. requiring to move. It only has one electrical component, the electromagnetic valve, which is the primitive version of the valve. The hoses that the carburetor has are for supplying gasoline and it has another small hose that connects with the distributor, only air circulates here, air that moves the pulse transmitter and sets the work rate of the spark plugs depending on how much gasoline is being used. requiring to move. It only has one electrical component, the electromagnetic valve, which is the primitive version of the valve. slow motion, it lights up when we stop opening the throat, this little valve, allows air to pass while we wait at a traffic light or something like that, so that the carburetor doesn't choke; Since dirty air cannot get into the engine, a filter is needed that will stop the dirt and only let clean air through. Now that you know what this intricate artifact is for, you can take better care of it; Carburetors can last as long as the car as long as you maintain it once a year by changing gaskets and giving it a good scrubbing to prevent carbon buildup, when 3-4 years go by it is recommended to do a full nozzle replacement, gaskets and valves, which are small but important elements that regulate the amount and frequency of fuel and air flow inside the carburetor, For that, there are carburetor spare parts, but if a long time has passed, after opening and closing the carburetor so many times, it will start to leak, add to this that the levers and diaphragms will already be very worn, which will cause air leaks. and loss of power. If your vocho has its time, and you had never paid attention to the mouth of the car, you should seriously think about replacing this important component.

The altimetric system was an addition that was incorporated in the last years of the carburetors, this due to the pressure exerted by the new environmental laws. It consists of the carburetor knowing how much oxygen it has for combustion, if it is at a level close to the sea, there will be more air to burn, therefore it uses less gasoline to burn, if on the contrary it is very high, there will be less air and So you have to make up for it with more gasoline. Unfortunately, Mexicans from the capital are more than 2,000 m above sea level, and therein lies the answer to why your car uses up a lot of gasoline, because we live at a height where there is much less air than there would be at the same height as beaches.

Requires advanced engine knowledge to install.
To put it to work, you just have to mount it, put some gasoline in its tank and make starts until it is completely filled, and the airbags are eliminated, after that it will be able to work without problems.
The altimetric system is to save a little fuel according to the sea level where the vehicle is located.
Only applies to 1.6L or 1600 cubic centimeter engines. It is also in the Sedan 1600. 1992 model.
Does not apply to vocho 1200 or 1500 models.
Does not apply to Atlantic and Caribe Motor 1600, since they require a thermostat activated by water.
Does not apply to Golf or Jetta.
Does not apply to 1.8L 2 Throat engines.
Check the condition of the hoses, distributor, and spark plugs when restoring power to the car through the carburetor.
The upper throat to place the air filter is 5.3 cm.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Question on Renalti Valves has anyone replaced theirs and if they did, did they try an upgraded version and what were the results stock versus newer version like the Mseries...
Stockish version

https://refaccionariamario.com/valvulas-de-ralenti...1600i.html

https://refaccionariamario.com/valvulas-de-ralenti...t-20l.html
.... and off we go
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Pulled the engine to update to 1679!

Using thick wall 88's and AA larger valve heads.

Very excited to get a couple more HP while still retaining FI and hydro lifters.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Pulled the engine to update to 1679!

Using thick wall 88's and AA larger valve heads.

Very excited to get a couple more HP while still retaining FI and hydro lifters.

Can't wait to see more!
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Heads on last night, overall impressed with AA heads and P/C's. Head castings are nice, passages between cooling fins are mostly clear. I spent maybe 5-10 minutes a head cleaning up some fins.

It's now a 1679, hoping it works!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 174 of 193

Jump to: