Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My 1600i (now 1679i) didn't come with cooling flaps or T-stat. Climate around here really needs these. Ordered a kit from Awesome Powdercoating, very nice kit and complete.

Pic of kit and installed to ensure everything worked correctly before putting the doghouse back on the engine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Are you using the stock rockings?
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Are you using the stock rockings?

Yes, I'm ordering some rocker spacers today. When adjusting the hyrdo lifters, the rockers are too close to the valves. I measured the 88 cylinders to be the same height as the 85.5's, but didn't think about the heads. I think the fly cut on the new heads removed a little material. I'm getting one of the Empi spacer kits with three different sizes, .015. .030 and .060. Probably only need the .015 spacers.

I wouldn't need to think to check the valve train geometry, but wondering if I should now as well?

When adjusting "lash", turned screw until just touched, then 1 1/2 turns in.

Last edited by Root_Werks on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Yes 1 1/2 Turns in, After it touches.
I have a bad oil leak, I need to remove the engine. I know I need to do a clutch
when I have the engine out. I'm thinking it might be a good time to bump up the CC's. Did you ever get your trans converted to a 5 speed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Yes 1 1/2 Turns in, After it touches.
I have a bad oil leak, I need to remove the engine. I know I need to do a clutch
when I have the engine out. I'm thinking it might be a good time to bump up the CC's. Did you ever get your trans converted to a 5 speed?

5spd is almost done! Why I pulled the engine. Figured if I could do 88's and heads, why not? It's really not that expensive. I report back in a few weeks driving impressions of the 1679 with stock FI and cam. Even 5-6 more HP would be worth it.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
[quote="radstude Did you ever get your trans converted to a 5 speed?

5spd is almost done! Why I pulled the engine. Figured if I could do 88's and heads, why not? It's really not that expensive. I report back in a few weeks driving impressions of the 1679 with stock FI and cam. Even 5-6 more HP would be worth it.[/quote]

Did you use the same case or did you buy a whole new transmission????
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:
[quote="radstude Did you ever get your trans converted to a 5 speed?

5spd is almost done! Why I pulled the engine. Figured if I could do 88's and heads, why not? It's really not that expensive. I report back in a few weeks driving impressions of the 1679 with stock FI and cam. Even 5-6 more HP would be worth it.

Did you use the same case or did you buy a whole new transmission????[/quote]

I sent my original (numbers matched swing), but noticed in the updated build he had to use a Rhino case. I think the 5spd necessitates it. It's not a cheap build, more than I thought it'd be. Not sure I'd want to admit the final cost in public.

When all is said and done, I'll basically have a stock geared 4spd with overdriven 5th. I can't wait!
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hopkin, In August of 2019 you replaced your oil cooler gaskets. Did you replace them with reg. late model red gaskets. I knew that the oil had been leaking for some time, but now I have oil everywhere. I'm going to replace oil cooler & O-rings gaskets. I think they are just the regular late model red O-rings gaskets. Thanks.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
.. Did you replace them with reg. late model red gaskets? ...

Yes, I also installed a new oil cooler, even though my original one was fine. (I ordered a new cooler just in case my old one was bad). They are the same as the older German engines.
First pic is the original seals:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming everything, now to order.
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi all. I bought a rebuilt engine that is apparently a mish mash of parts. It is an ACD case (stamped 1998) that was rebuilt with a carb. After rebuilding again due to a bad lifter, I'm having issues getting the carb and ignition working together. It is all built like a standard non-fi engine - 34 Pict 3 carb and SVDA distributor. Is there anything I need to know about an ACD engine being carbed? It seems to run rich and I have to advance the timing quite a bit to get it to idle. During the rebuilt I found cracked heads, and the heads had the smaller FI exhaust valves. I replaced with cheap OE heads. Not sure if there's something different about the ACD cam/valves/timing that I need to worry about.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The most common source of problems in converting an ACD to carb is the lack of pre-heating on the standard manifold. if that has been addressed in your conversion, I can't think of any other issues that may cause the symptoms you describe.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Out and about today, not too far from home as the main roads are heavily salted. -32C yesterday, car fired right up today. (warmed up to -15C or so when I went out):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
kosti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi all, i guess this is the best place to put this to maximise my chances...

I am looking for this lovely piece of "original equipment"
https://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1083&language=en

As it was only used on Brazilian beetles, it is absolutely impossible to find it with European vendors. Maybe you have a spare one or can just get your hands on one and sell it on, it would be great.

thanks to anyone willing to help Smile
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
The most common source of problems in converting an ACD to carb is the lack of pre-heating on the standard manifold. if that has been addressed in your conversion, I can't think of any other issues that may cause the symptoms you describe.

I'm using a "typical" manifold that does have the preheat tubes, they are connected, and I've verified that they're not clogged.

At this point I've pulled the motor, I'm putting new pistons/cylinders in, and I got some used German heads I'm going to rebuild. I also spent the $$ for a Volkzbitz carb. Also converting my points to electronic ignition. Will hopefully work a bit better once I get it all back together.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My Berg 5spd is done! I forgot to bring the gear ratios with me, but plugged them into one of those ratios to actual speed calculators and am very excited! It's a very good spread between gears and RPM's with a final 11% overdriven 5th.

My current FF Trans has a final drive 18% overdriven so this 5spd will be better for my now 1679i engine.

So excited and can't wait to get it!

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Ratios for the Berg 5spd build:

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My 1983 'Selvas Green Mexican and the first crocuses of spring in early February in Zavelstein.

Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

After a year of starting the Berg 5spd project, tranny arrived yesterday. Pulled the FF tranny from the Bug and started getting the 5spd ready to install.

It mounts differently so I think I'll set it in place before swapping axles over. Make sure things line up.

hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

The new transmissions looks longer, it is the same overall length?
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 175 of 193

Jump to: