Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years - HELP Reply with quote

luscive wrote:
..., but how would I go about fixing this? ...

Part of the roof mechanism sits on top of the car in a frame, different than the sliding roofs that are built into the roof. As a result there can be a gap between the sliding roof and the roof 'frame'. Due to the design of the roof, it is impossible to have a 100% seal.

Roof frame:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The frame in the first picture has a track that the worm gear rides in, the 'frame' is glued onto the cutout roof and held down with custom hold downs. You can see the hold downs in this pic along the right side where the roof is cut.

If the PO bent any of the roof, it may be sitting a little higher, and that may be exasperated if the roof is worn. You may be able to remove the 'shell', starting with the front piece, to expose the hold downs. If you're lucky you may be able to adjust them a little bit.

It is also possible that one of the ribs may be slightly bent. In that case, you may be able to straighten it, I advise caution you may make it worse. Having said that they do not look bent in your photo.

This thread has more info and more pics:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677354

There is also a facebook group dedicated to the "Open Airs":
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1581580365490543

You can order parts from Deco Haus in Germany, they specialize in remanufacturing roof parts for the "Open Air" cars. They have hundreds of pics on their facebook page showing different cars in various states of disassembly.
https://www.facebook.com/decohaus

Finally Gerrelt has a blog with hundreds of pics and good detail on the complete disassembly and replacement (with a Deco Haus) roof:
http://www.gerrelt.nl/1600i-open-air-roof-replacement.html

Note Gerrelt (and I) have 1st generation roof, you probably have a 2nd gen roof. The main difference is the location of the roof motor, the 1st gen roof motors are located under the back window, the 2nd gen roofs have the roof motor mounted in the front trunk. The Deco Haus pics and Gerrelt's pics both show 1st gen roofs. As far as I know there are no 2nd gen roofs in Europe.

PS, nice looking car!
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Wow! There's a lot going on in that roof.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Wow! There's a lot going on in that roof.

Yes, there is a lot going on .. I have reverse-engineered the roof,
briefly ... there are 'take-up' tubes concealed by a (PVC?) covering that is formed to the shape of the perimeter of the cutout area (down to the top of the "B" pillar) in the passenger area of the car. The first pic I posted has those coverings removed.
The worm gear backs up into the blue tubes when the roof is opened (1st gen).
For 2nd gen the worm gear is in the tubes when the roof is closed. those tubes 'wrap' around inside the trunk area.
In the case of 2nd gen roofs, there is an additional set of tubes are fed up through the "A" pillars top open the roof creating 2 possible pinch points on each side. These tubes are not PVC like the retraction tubes, they are made of what appears to be copper (I have only seen photos of these).
In addition, it appears for all the photos I've seen the 2nd gen roofs do not open quite as far as the 1st gen roof.

In my opinion the 1st gen design is cleaner, but I am bias on the opinion as that's the type I have.

1st gen motor and tubes:

2nd gen motor and tubes:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Wonky fuel gauge question.

I have the common fuel gauge issue. I will suddenly loose 1/4 of a tank or more. I seem to have burned half a tank of gas on a journey of 60km. Shocked It's disconcerting!

I see Manfred on 1600i.de has a tank sender cleaning tutorial. I read it today.

I googled the part number Manfred gives, BAA 919 051 A, which gave a return of this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004603761063.html. The aliexpress part looks nothing like Manfred's pages.
So:
1. How easy was it to clean the fuel gauge as per Manfred's instructions?
2. Is that part listed correct?
3. Are there any places to easily get the part in USA/Canada?
4. Will a sender from a German 70's era bug work?
5. Suggestions on the easiest way to get the fuel gauge working?

When I replaced my speedo with a miles one and along with a new non-mexican fuel gauge float I found out that I was having reading problems until I found a resistor that looked handmade was on the old speedo which I had taken off noticing I was getting wrong readings I put it back on and the gas read right.... If you can find a gauge resistor get one or if not look and see if you can find one on an old car thats not being used I am not sure if our Thesamba.com has any but it worth checking...Sam
PS try refraccionesmario.com and if you buy one use paypal from what I gather america-ship your 3rd party shipper now has a membership fee but it can mean happy shopping on mercadolibre/mx
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Did You See This! When will it stop?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=APPLEGREENVW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Did You See This! When will it stop?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=APPLEGREENVW

I just follows your link. Just bought a type 4 thermostat new. Rather more expensive! Embarassed
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Oil leak question.

Finally had enough sorted out on my Mexican Beetle for a serious road trip - about 450km. Going there, 90-105km/h. No issues. Trying to get back - half highway driving as above, have crawling through terrible traffic in first, or just idling. Evil or Very Mad The clutch definitely got a workout.

Actually really pleased. The stop-and-go definitely made for a hot engine, but I did the 'try to touch the dipstick test' and while, I didn't want to leave my finger there for long, it wasn't burning.

I was very pleased with the way the car behaved. However, when I got home, I did a quick look in the engine bay and saw an oil leak I hadn't noticed before. Picture below. I previously noticed an oil stain on the air filter, but not an obvious leak.

Questions:

1. What is this thing that is leaking? I don't know what it is/what it does.
2. Obviously there are some clips and hose that need replacing (thanks for telling me the right type of clips in a previous post. Very Happy ) Beyond that, is there anything that needs to be done to fix this?

Much thanks!
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sotobaggins wrote:
coolbugfan wrote:
Wonky fuel gauge question.

When I replaced my speedo with a miles one and along with a new non-mexican fuel gauge float I found out that I was having reading problems until I found a resistor that looked handmade was on the old speedo which I had taken off noticing I was getting wrong readings I put it back on and the gas read right.... If you can find a gauge resistor get one or if not look and see if you can find one on an old car thats not being used I am not sure if our Thesamba.com has any but it worth checking...Sam
PS try refraccionesmario.com and if you buy one use paypal from what I gather america-ship your 3rd party shipper now has a membership fee but it can mean happy shopping on mercadolibre/mx

Thanks. I was actually looking at a whole new (used) speedo at a VW meet on Saturday. I like the style of the Mexican one and none of the used ones came in KM/H, so I think sourcing a new one from Mexico sounds like the best idea. Waiting to hear the new developments on shipping. Much thanks for the suggestions! Very Happy
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
1. What is this thing that is leaking? I don't know what it is/what it does.
2. Obviously there are some clips and hose that need replacing (thanks for telling me the right type of clips in a previous post. Very Happy ) Beyond that, is there anything that needs to be done to fix this?

I can't really tell from the picture but I think you're asking about the speed valve. This link has some info about the operation of the valve:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/048133455.

Your engine may be running hot due to the catalytic convertor. I replaced mine as it was running very hot and engine temp dropped 20 degrees. Could be something else as well, it can be a hard problem to diagnose without more info.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, Hopkin. Mine doesn't have a catalytic converter. I did a little more investigating. It seems it's a vent from the engine to the air filter for any oil and oil fumes to get sent back down into the engine to be burnt.

I will get the hose and clamps replaced. Thanks!
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

What colour is my car?

It's a RED 1995 Beetle. I'd like to get some touch up paint. Does anyone know EXACTLY what colour it is?

In searching 1600i.de, I came across the code "G3K" which I found strange as most paint codes seem to start with an "L".

I tried one of the paint touch up sights (of course, no MexiBeetles!) and they suggested it was 1995 VW Golf "Verona Red, LG3K".

Is that correct? Is the car 'Verona Red'?

If it is, does anyone know what that colour is in terms of what a paint store would understand. i.e. a colour swatch code, pantone, or paint mix code?

Much thanks!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
What colour is my car?

From Nicholas Rosenow's book, for 1995 model year:
Paint finishes: candy white (VWL B9A), maritime blue (VWL A5E), onix black (VWL 041), Verona red (VWL G3K), partially Indian red perl effect (VWL C3T), classic green metallic (VWL G6S).

They used some of the same colours as the Golfs and Jettas, etc.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, Hopkin. Just pretend it’s a Golf. Verona red it is!
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

You have an oil condensation leak from that rigged up three-part-and-a-lot-of-clips hose. There should be a bent single piece hose connecting the expansion chamber to the air filter to burn out oil fumes and let the condensate drip back to the case.

as you can see from this pic of my engine, the elbow hose takes a clip on the filter side but not on the expansion chamber side.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
You have an oil condensation leak from that rigged up three-part-and-a-lot-of-clips hose. There should be a bent single piece hose connecting the expansion chamber to the air filter to burn out oil fumes and let the condensate drip back to the case.

as you can see from this pic of my engine, the elbow hose takes a clip on the filter side but not on the expansion chamber side.

I agree, Antonio can get one for you. Take your air filter assembly off and clean it out. Mine was clogged up with oil foam from the engine not getting warm enough during drives = yuck!

luscive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years - HELP Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
PS, nice looking car!

Thank you! I will continue to do more research. This helps more than you know, for a minute I really thought I was the only one with one of these cars. I will let you guys know how it goes.
1998 Mexican Beetle "Open Air" (Sold)
2003 Mexican Beetle Sedan (Dad's)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Installed a set of Empi Zero offest drop spindles this week. These are true zero offset spindles, believe only for ball joint disc brakes. Turned out great, much better than pulling the fuel tank, entire front beam etc. No thanks. 3 hours and this was done, still need to get it aligned.

Really like the stance and ground clearance. Perfect for a driver.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Installed a set of Empi Zero offest drop spindles this week. These are true zero offset spindles, believe only for ball joint disc brakes. Turned out great, much better than pulling the fuel tank, entire front beam etc. No thanks. 3 hours and this was done, still need to get it aligned.

Did you lower the rear also?
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Root_Werks wrote:

Did you lower the rear also?

Yes, one notch/spline at the rear a while ago. It sat so high, had positive camber. After that, always sat high in the front. Now it's almost a perfect slight rake being slightly lower in the front.

I did check turn to turn on the short drive last night. No rubbing.
luscive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Alright, unrelated to my open air dilemma, I have another issue with the fuel injection. So every time i turn the car on, the motor doesn’t idle, it goes “vrOOM, vrOOM, vrOOM” almost like it has a cam in it or something (it doesn’t) and if i give it any sort of throttle the RPMs just jump to the sky. I’m thinking it’s clogged injectors or maybe like an idle control module or something like that. It’s a 1600cc with fuel injection and A/C. Any ideas?
1998 Mexican Beetle "Open Air" (Sold)
2003 Mexican Beetle Sedan (Dad's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 180 of 192

Jump to: