Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

luscive wrote:
Alright, unrelated to my open air dilemma, I have another issue with the fuel injection. So every time i turn the car on, the motor doesn’t idle, it goes “vrOOM, vrOOM, vrOOM” almost like it has a cam in it or something (it doesn’t) and if i give it any sort of throttle the RPMs just jump to the sky. I’m thinking it’s clogged injectors or maybe like an idle control module or something like that. It’s a 1600cc with fuel injection and A/C. Any ideas?

It sounds like a pretty large vacuum leak. Could be a failed idle control valve. Would carefully check everything for possible air leaks. Don't know if you unplugged the IAC if it fails closed, could be an easy test.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

luscive wrote:
Alright, unrelated to my open air dilemma, I have another issue with the fuel injection. So every time i turn the car on, the motor doesn’t idle, it goes “vrOOM, vrOOM, vrOOM” almost like it has a cam in it or something (it doesn’t) and if i give it any sort of throttle the RPMs just jump to the sky. I’m thinking it’s clogged injectors or maybe like an idle control module or something like that. It’s a 1600cc with fuel injection and A/C. Any ideas?

I’ve taken them apart & cleaned them. They get oily and sticky inside. Carb cleaner works.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Installed a set of Empi Zero offest drop spindles this week. These are true zero offset spindles, believe only for ball joint disc brakes. Turned out great, much better than pulling the fuel tank, entire front beam etc. No thanks. 3 hours and this was done, still need to get it aligned.

Really like the stance and ground clearance. Perfect for a driver.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks fantastic!
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkewld0scar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Brake kits for 1998 Mexican sedan disk/drums Reply with quote

Hello all,

I’m in need to redo my brakes, disk up front and drums in the rear. I’d like to just get a conversion kit (for sure for the rear, but may just redo the front if it’s worth it) but I haven’t been lucky in finding places that specifically say their kits work with Mexican beetles.
I was wondering if someone that has done conversion kits could share sites or part numbers they have used.

Thanks
2007 GTI (past)
2015 GTI (past)
1998 Mexican Sedan (current)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake kits for 1998 Mexican sedan disk/drums Reply with quote

airkewld0scar wrote:
Hello all,

I’m in need to redo my brakes, disk up front and drums in the rear. I’d like to just get a conversion kit (for sure for the rear, but may just redo the front if it’s worth it) but I haven’t been lucky in finding places that specifically say their kits work with Mexican beetles.
I was wondering if someone that has done conversion kits could share sites or part numbers they have used.

Thanks

I wouldn't convert anything. Most rear disc brake kits aren't very good, a street Bug doesn't need that much braking in the rear.

The Mexi-Bug disc brakes are WAY better than most kits you'll find. There is a proper seperate hub the disc hat sits on. Pads are common, you can get calipers rebuilt etc. Most of the "kits" you can install will be taking a step backwards in my opinion.

Reach out to Antonio, he can get almost any Mexi-Bug part you need.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brake kits for 1998 Mexican sedan disk/drums Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:

I wouldn't convert anything. Most rear disc brake kits aren't very good, a street Bug doesn't need that much braking in the rear.

The Mexi-Bug disc brakes are WAY better than most kits you'll find. There is a proper seperate hub the disc hat sits on. Pads are common, you can get calipers rebuilt etc. Most of the "kits" you can install will be taking a step backwards in my opinion.

Reach out to Antonio, he can get almost any Mexi-Bug part you need.

x2, the rotors you can get from Antonio, but the calipers and pads are the same as the 'Ghia' type. I replaced my calipers a few years ago with a set from cip1.

Here is a picture of the original and new one side by side:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
luscive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hello all, just a little update on my idling issue. It’s fixed! Simple as cleaning the mass airflow sensor and viola! Cars running great and gets really good mileage now that it’s being driven, and I’ve driven it some pretty great distances with no issues. Loving this car, and my temporary open air top back window fix is doing great as well. Flex seal works some wonders man, been able to put the top down and back up multiple times. Gonna take some good pics and upload them here soon.
1998 Mexican Beetle "Open Air" (Sold)
2003 Mexican Beetle Sedan (Dad's)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

luscive wrote:
Hello all, just a little update on my idling issue. It’s fixed! Simple as cleaning the mass airflow sensor and viola! Cars running great and gets really good mileage now that it’s being driven, and I’ve driven it some pretty great distances with no issues. Loving this car, and my temporary open air top back window fix is doing great as well. Flex seal works some wonders man, been able to put the top down and back up multiple times. Gonna take some good pics and upload them here soon.

Yay! Yes, please post some pictures. Glad you got the idle fixed.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

luscive wrote:
Simple as cleaning the mass airflow sensor ....

Since your car doesn't have a mass air flow sensor, what did you clean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
luscive wrote:
Simple as cleaning the mass airflow sensor ....

Since your car doesn't have a mass air flow sensor, what did you clean?

I'm thinking he meant the intake temperature sensor. I replaced mine a few years ago, as the connector was bent. (It still works so I kept the old one as a spare).
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/engine/injection-system/4105/
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted some fun pics, and as the Samba theme of the day is winter pics I thought I'd post a few from last winter. Yes, I take the car out in the winter from time to time. It's gets a rinse when I get home.

Enjoy!

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Nice winter pics! I take my Bug out in the snow at times as well. It drives very well in the white stuff.
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I’ve had some VERY bad luck with my 1995 Mexi-Beetle. The engine needs to come out for some serious TLC. Embarassed

Now, back in the day, folks were taking about 15-20 minutes to take out a little 36 hp 1200. I know ours are more complicated. What is a reasonable amount of time a mechanic would take to remove a 1600i engine? 2hrs? 3? Installation similar or longer? Just talking approximately.

Thanks.

PS Love the snow pics. I try to stay out of the rain, let alone the snow!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Unfortunately, I’ve had some VERY bad luck with my 1995 Mexi-Beetle. The engine needs to come out for some serious TLC. Embarassed

Now, back in the day, folks were taking about 15-20 minutes to take out a little 36 hp 1200. I know ours are more complicated. What is a reasonable amount of time a mechanic would take to remove a 1600i engine? 2hrs? 3? Installation similar or longer? Just talking approximately.

Thanks.

PS Love the snow pics. I try to stay out of the rain, let alone the snow!

If you have experience removing the engine in an older car, you should be able to remove the engine in an hour or so (maybe less if you have the right jack to lower it, or a hoist). It's a bit finicky, I suggest removing the cat/muffler and the injectors (and rails) before removing, but it can be done leaving them. Removing the fan belt can give you a little extra wiggle room as well. Also some of the rear tin. Don't forget to remove the ground strap connected to the engine lid, ask me how I know. Smile

Reverse to install. It seems like there is a little less space around the engine which makes it harder to line up. But it have appeared that way (to me) as I didn't really have the best jack each time I removed my engine.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

1 1/2 Hrs, if it goes smoothly. If you have trouble getting the exhaust off, ?
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I've pulled my engine 3 times for tranny swaps. Last time was surprisingly quick for me (45 minutes).

As others have mentioned:

Remove fan belt
Remove fuel rails from intake, let them flop around
Don't forget the little ground strap on the decklid hinge

I leave the exhaust on, gives me something to grab onto. It's tighter than an older carb'd Bug, but easier than a later L-Jet Bug.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

For those who didn't see on my facebook page, I rolled 200,000 kms on my car a couple days ago. I added a second 100,000 km pin (re-pop's) and have a third one should I reach 300,000 km. I have driven 130,000 kms of the 200,000 kms.

Car is still running good, engine rebuild is in the foreseeable future but not yet planned.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
For those who didn't see on my facebook page, I rolled 200,000 kms on my car a couple days ago. I added a second 100,000 km pin (re-pop's) and have a third one should I reach 300,000 km. I have driven 130,000 kms of the 200,000 kms.

Car is still running good, engine rebuild is in the foreseeable future but not yet planned.

Congratulations in order!
For someone who put his car in hibernation for the winter, you do put a lot of mile on your Bug.
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2402498.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2402497.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2402496.jpg

Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

@hopkin

That's awesome, congrats! I need to drive my Bug more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 181 of 192

Jump to: