Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what point to run new wiring harness?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenknots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: At what point to run new wiring harness? Reply with quote

I have a rolling shell of a 1972 SB that has pretty much everything in boxes with it to finish it. I'm trying to come up with a procedure of when to do what so I don't make extra work for myself.

Anyone who has done a complete new wiring harness, at what point did you decide to do it during a rebuild?

There is pretty much nothing inside the bug now and the engine is out. All I really know is that I am going to paint the exterior last.

I'd kinda like to get it over with but I want to make sure I'm not going to wish I'd done something else first.

TIA!
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point to run new wiring harness? Reply with quote

I did mine after I put the body back on the pan. The engine and trans and drive shafts were in, but all the interior, glass, etc was out. The wiring isn’t that bad either front of the harness: head lights, turn signal, horn, fuel tank. Back is brake and tail lights and engine, which is 4-5 wires. The interior is where it comes together. It’s better to have an open interior so you have room to work.
Tenknots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point to run new wiring harness? Reply with quote

That’s what I was thinking. That’s for your reply.
Sloanstavern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: At what point to run new wiring harness? Reply with quote

I Just did the same thing with my '74 Super Beetle. The existing wiring harness was sketchy at best, and I could not find a full OEM "like" replacement harness. So I used a Painless Universal wiring harness 10102 from Summit racing ( the 2nd project I have uses this for).

For less than $275 you get a high quality harness, with ample circuits and it fits the bugs needs very well. I installed mine with the body on pan, motor in, and interior out.

Good luck!
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: At what point to run new wiring harness? Reply with quote

If you’re gonna go aftermarket rebel wiring is pretty good. I used one and I had a choice of relocating the fuse block to under the back seat. It’s a modern blade fuse block and wire is marked every 6 inches. Easy install too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: