Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rooftop tents
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: rooftop tents Reply with quote

I have a tin top 90 westy and was wondering if anyone could reccomend a rooftop tent setup I want to stay in the $1000- range and there seems to be quite a few out there ,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Cabelas Deluxe Tent Cot in the largest double size on sale. It's bombproof, essentially a waterproof sleeping pod for two that folds up and has its own integrated steel frame. It's designed to sit on the ground on folding legs. Then I made a plywood platform that attaches to any roof rack crossbars, so it stands on that like a rooftop tent does. A pair of U bolts hold it and the ladder up there while you drive.

Park, pull down the ladder, go up the ladder and unfold it in four motions, and you are ready to crawl in. It weighs half what a rooftop tent does, meaning I can put it up there alone (check the weights of even a light RTT). Including a pair of really sweet self inflating mattresses, a pair of aluminum ladders, plywood, marine paint and hardware, this came in under $500. One of the best projects I have pulled off in years.

My son and I have slept a half dozen nights in it atop the Cruiser while my wife and daughter slept inside the Cruiser. We will be using it in the exact way on the Vanagon. Plenty of room for two, including two doors with screens, two screened windows, a "skylight", semi rigid cupholders, an overhead hook for a light and other design thoughts. I set it up so each person has their own ladder to go up and down opposite sides of the roof, which is great if my son retires early and I hang at the campfire. As a bonus, when you get up there, under the floor is 10" of sheltered space - perfect to keep dirty shoes out, stow a pee bottle, leave a big flashlight in easy reach from the door, etc which a RTT doesn't offer.

On the down side, some RTTs are much bigger inside, and I have not yet figured a way to deploy the awnings over the doors. This Springs challenge I guess....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rooftop tents Reply with quote

rayroc wrote:
I have a tin top 90 westy and was wondering if anyone could reccomend a rooftop tent setup I want to stay in the $1000- range and there seems to be quite a few out there ,

Das Mule is selling a 2-person rooftop tent for $900. http://www.dasmule.com/tjm-equipped-yulara-roof-top-tent/ You can add an annex for $209. The whole setup seems very sweet. Better yet, since DasMule are from Seattle, they're running a 12% promotion discount on all orders over $100 (link on their main page) to celebrate that the Seahawks have won the SuperBowl. That will put you right in $1000.

IdahoDoug, do you have any pics of your setup (sounds very interesting)?

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah will post one in a bit.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: cots Reply with quote

I have looked at those tent/cots at Cabela's and thought they looked like a great idea. Nice to hear a real world review. I thought it would be an option for the growing family. The bonus is off the ground and self contained.

I am presently working on my hammock set up as an option as well.

Waiting with a coffee on pics...Smile

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: cots Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:

Waiting with a coffee on pics...Smile

Brian

I might be jumping the gun, but I remember IdahoDoug's writeup on a rooftop solution:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525167&highlight=rooftop

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! thanks - forgot about that post. thats pretty comprehensive and has my pics.
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy nice setup !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rooftop tents Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
rayroc wrote:

Das Mule is selling a 2-person rooftop tent for $900. http://www.dasmule.com/tjm-equipped-yulara-roof-top-tent/ You can add an annex for $209. The whole setup seems very sweet. Better yet, since DasMule are from Seattle, they're running a 12% promotion discount on all orders over $100 (link on their main page) to celebrate that the Seahawks have won the SuperBowl. That will put you right in $1000.

Damn, that's a nice tent at a decent price. Sadly, the video is cheesy in the extreme. Sad
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the front top luggage area from a westfalia today I thought it would look nice on the front with maybe a yakima basket rack with a rooftop tent setup have to make sure there room but don't think thats an issue
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a side tent might be better for housing a kid or 2 (I assume that's why you need the extra sleep space), and is functional in other ways for camping as well.

Just throwing it out there.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too much hassle to set up for me at least
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me - too much hassle n storage space. Also, I found the simple joy of the 'treehouse' sleeping up high feeling adds an outsize dose of adventure and a hard to describe fun factor. Man, I can't wait for camping season now!!!!
rayroc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I hear ya I always called the upper bunk in my westy first, just like the feel of it up there not too mention the views the simplicity factor is the icing on the cake. I've been scouring craigslist thinking maybe someone was an impulsive gift giver without trying it out.
DeezUU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I sign my name on the line for the tin top I'm looking at, I'm ordering a Tepui so I can toss my yutes on the roof. My boys are growing like weeds and did not fit well in my Riviera pop-top. Tepui has a small 2 man tent called the Ayer for $745 and I believe shipping is a flat $150 which is well within your range. I've only talked to 1 person with a Tepui but they seemed to love it.

Tepui Ayer

A few peeps have asked why in the heezy I'm getting a tin top passenger instead of a pop top >> the roof tents give WAY more space upstairs and with a passenger van, I get a full width Zbed, a pop out camp sofa, and after seat swivels are installed I should have a ton of room inside. BOOM!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a good amount of Tepui RTT on the road trips in CA, OR and WA.
I have only recently found out that they are local to me by the Home Depot on 41st. They get good reviews for their product and customer service on 4x4 forums, I have no experience with them though.

I have had my RTT for a few years and have used it many times, they are great. More comfortable than sleeping inside(which isn't bad), lots of room, better ventilation, nice treehouse/fort vibe for the kids and a better vantage point to see great sunrises and sunsets.
BTW, every kid in the area will want to come by and check it out.

Unfortunately the company that sold mine is no longer in business so I have no current purchasing input.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
DASMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rooftop tents Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
pnwkayaker wrote:
rayroc wrote:

Damn, that's a nice tent at a decent price. Sadly, the video is cheesy in the extreme. Sad

Haha! Yes, we need to do our own video instead of using that one don't we??! But, it does give a look at the tent quality.

Happy to have anyone stop by our place for will call as well or to check out the one we have mounted on our Suzuki LJ81. Our sale for the 12% OFF runs through 2/15.

Thanks for considering us for you camping needs, guys!

There's a photo of the tent on a vanagon on the website: www.dasmule.com[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: rooftop tents Reply with quote

DASMULE wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
pnwkayaker wrote:
rayroc wrote:

There's a photo of the tent on a vanagon on the website: www.dasmule.com[/img]

That link's not working, Mr. Mule.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DASMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeezUU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put mine on a few days ago... just got to pop it open today.

1 word... LOVEIT!!! Takes a few extra minutes to setup over a built in pop-top, but the extra room is well worth the effort.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: