Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you use for jackstand storage?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Because so much of the work on my Vanagons has involved the rear end up in the air, I now own a veritable flock of jackstands. For 6 months of the last couple years, it sat on 4 and I needed another car completely off the ground as well. So I have an incongruous 12 of them. Now that I've reorganized the garage after the WBX rebuild, they look like a steel flock of birds in the corner, and they're really difficult to store.

They're too heavy to put up on a shelf and I'm hesitant to hang them on the wall for the same reason - they'd make a nasty Vanagon dent if someone brushed one off the wall and it bounced against the body. You can't hang them from the saddle as that part just pulls out of the frame. Can't hang them upside down for the same reason - the saddle will fall to the floor. Yet floor space is at a premium. I don't want to put them outdoors as they'll rust.

Anyone thought of a clever way to store them in the garage?

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Google it: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/303922674826198521/

Also - Just keep the best 4 and get rid of some.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Take the adj. shafts out of them and see if they fit over each other.
Of course you now have a box of "necks"!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Simple answer my friend...... you've got too many.

They served a purpose during a given "season" in your life but they are no longer needed.
They did their job.
Move at least 1/2 of them along to a new home with someone else.

You'll find varying sizes much more handy.
Two truck sized
Four car sized
Two small "mower" sized

Serves me well.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allenw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

I use the bicycle hooks that are used to hang bikes from the ceiling works great. Make sure you screw them into a wall stud, I put them upside down and put the shaft in the middle.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Garage Journal can be a good source of inspiration...

Jack Stand Storage
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235659

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

dang. i only have 2. i've got to get me a whole bunch more!

i'm a big fan of these and i use them to elevate the rear end (tires on of course)...
https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/56-race-ramps/

if the vehicle is already in the garage, i'll jack up the end and slide these in. they are light, strong, made in USA, and work great!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

You mention that the raising portions slides completely out of the stand portion, so you can't hang them......

On my stands there is a tab on the stand portion that is supposed to be hammered over a bit into the raising portion to prevent just such an event.

Do yours?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
You mention that the raising portions slides completely out of the stand portion, so you can't hang them......

On my stands there is a tab on the stand portion that is supposed to be hammered over a bit into the raising portion to prevent just such an event.

Do yours?

All of mine do, and they are peened in place. Long story short I dropped one on my toe, which turned black and took forever to grow out. After I got over the initial pain the first thing I did was to lock all of my jackstands. I own 12 and sometimes I feel like I need more. I find them handy for painting stuff when not holding up a vehicle.

I'd guess not too far down the road, IdahoDoug, that your son will be on his own and will need some. They'll end up being "borrowed" out of your garage soon enough.

If you're out of wall space, jackstands can be hung from the ceiling too. In the electricians aisle of HD and Lowe's there is a rail system called Unistrut. This is a C channel system used to suspend electrical stuff off of ceilings in commercial buildings. There are all sorts of fixtures made to run in the channel. It's super strong, plenty strong enough to hold all of your jackstands.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Buy more cars and store them underneath.

Quote:
Simple answer my friend...... you've got two too many.

-Charles Bronson

Very Happy [/b]
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

I've been storing my spares at Harbor Freight. Every time I go, I look at the 6ton size and think "do have a place for those in my garage?"

61Scout wrote:
I find them handy for painting stuff when not holding up a vehicle.

This is a winner for me. I think I'll buy next time... Thx Kevin

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

buy the house next door and turn it into a 2nd garage
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Take four downtown and find someone who parked in a handicapped spot and jack there car up until the wheels are just touching the ground.

Pop a cold one and watch from a distance.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Take four downtown and find someone who parked in a handicapped spot and jack there car up until the wheels are just touching the ground.

Some people don't "look handicapped" but you can't tell what their "max distance" is by one observation of their mobility in one situation.

Prob better ways to find out who's pirating the Handicap placards without exasperating the genuine users. But yeah I wonder sometimes how many of those are just being pirated, and what process is maintaining the proper dispersion of placards among the folks who truly need the assistance. I've never heard of any "vetting process" after the placard award, so there's ample opportunity for abuse of the system. Handicap parking is costly for merchants, and to be fair it should be vetted, and (I bet) it's not vetted at all, zero.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I like your thinking!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Wow, ya learn something new every day. I have idly wondered at least once what that stamped out "neck and head" shaped thing is for as the engineer in me knows that things like that cost money in a product and are rarely random. So because I've apparently never read the literature that comes with these things I had no awareness I am supposed to peen them in. Thanks!!

On a random note, I just watched my wife and son drive off for the first time in the Porsche now that I've nearly completed the mechanical resto. I'm one left tie rod away from declaring it done. It's a gorgeous sunny day here and I suggested they take it to head to Spokane.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I just watched my wife and son drive off for the first time in the Porsche

These are the good old days, Happy Holidays

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

now THAT is a car that is "fun" to fix...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

Away from Porsche' and back to jack stand storage.........

Build a vertical "bookshelf", deep enough for two stands, wide enough for one stand and high enough for twelve.

Mount it in a corner next to the new tool boxes.

EDIT:
Just like jimf909 posted! (just saw this photo this morning)

Easy peasy done!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you use for jackstand storage? Reply with quote

I leave them in the storeroom until they are thoroughly wrapped in black widow spider web, then they are easier to transport as a pair.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: