Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Squareback called Patches - Sea Sand L568 - Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a shot of the back seat custom TMI roll over style.. a tad lower then the rear arm rests but pretty close to me Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed new linkage on the right side from ISP West. Is one side supposed to be reverse thread?

tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some photoshop on my car with some wheel styles.. I am about to pull the trigger on going front and rear discs 5x130 with 17" Fuchs or I will stay four lug and buy 15" GasBurners.. If I stay four lug I can swap out to my 4 lug Original VW wheels with white walls anytime. I am still on the fence between staying 4x130 as it will be much cheaper, and 5x130.. any thoughts?

17" Fuchs:

GasBurners:

Original Wheels:

littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy them from john kloss or hans I believe his name is on here..
Call him up, send him $5000 and he will get your rims done....
See my gallery for my square on 17's..
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you nuts im not spending more then $500 on wheels.. $5000 is nuts.. they would have to be custom as all hell for that price
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when I become a 4-lug thug, I'll most likely go with Gasburners. Maaaybe Sprintstars. In my opinion most 4-lug wheels look...weird.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If and when I become a 4-lug thug, I'll most likely go with Gasburners. Maaaybe Sprintstars. In my opinion most 4-lug wheels look...weird.

Well four lug Gasburners are still cool imo. I like the sprintstars in 4 lug better then the 5 lug, but my only issue is the type 3 doesn't have enough of a autocross look to pull off those wheels well.. If the suspension was awesome on a type 3 then I think more period correct racing wheels would be available for these cars.. i kinda wish notchbacks had better suspension so they could slay datsun 510s..
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the og wheels, they look great.
The linkage will have a reversed thread for it to be easily adjustable.
Wink
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
Installed new linkage on the right side from ISP West. Is one side supposed to be reverse thread?

One end of the rod is left hand thread, and the other is right hand thread. You crack the jamb nuts loose, then you just spin the rod in or out to get the correct length. You want to set it so it goes on without changing the idle speed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to my wheels this weekend. I wrestled with this car to get it on disc brakes on all four corners.. but it looks great imo!

I plan on raising the rear one notch, and yes the tires rub a tiny bit so the fenders will be rolled by a pro fender roller.. didnt want to do that but i also feel the darkside is with me strong these days.. Wink
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLyinglow94 - I sent you an email via the samba asking if you can help me figure out the e-brake bracket you designed for rear discs.. maybe make me one for some money?? Wink
littlebuggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
Are you nuts im not spending more then $500 on wheels.. $5000 is nuts.. they would have to be custom as all hell for that price

what did the brms and tires cost? More or less than $500 ?
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brms cost $100 each and tires were $67 each so I went over budget by $100 or so.. yeah if I had 5k id buy a motorcyle and a cheap paint job for my car.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool car. The colour is a favourite of mine.
The whole look of it really works including that rack and I don't think big diameter wheels are necessary or appropriate for this style of car. I just think bigger wheels are more like a fashion trend. I see the trend is started to creep back toward smaller wheel and taller rubber again which pleases me cause it's more period correct for that era of car. It seems to go in cycles. Certainly in terms of cost and reward it's better to save the dollars or repurpose the funds of those big dollar wheels toward mechanical or paint. (or hookers).
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To late.. I like bigger wheels because it looks more sporty to me then smaller wheels. Im not going to slam it like most do with large wheels. Im going for more of a "track day" look for my car. Also the handling feels better to me with the wider tires and lower sidewalls. I def agree the smaller wheels are more period correct but the brms are period correct style with modern sizes. Not only did I do this for a modern take on a period correct look I did it for more tire choices that are under $90 a tire. For the money I spent I could of gotten one fender painted. Ill paint my car at a later date and I can never justify buying expensive tires.

Also only being into vws for about 20 years I have only seen this so called trend of large wheels grow steadily not in waves. It first started with larger modern porsche wheels and the "german look".. then larger period correct wheels were made back in thr late 90s early 2000s. If anything more people are switching over to the darkside. Wink so from my perspective its been a steady incline.. not that its right or wrong but for some they want that extra flash to soak panties or get a wider patch on the ground the ground with out losing rotational mass. I matched my height of tires to pretty much be 25" diameter with new setup so it stays as close to stock tire height. Again im not going for the slammed look tucking my wheels im going for a performance stance with a little flash. Wink
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
The brms cost $100 each and tires were $67 each so I went over budget by $100 or so.. yeah if I had 5k id buy a motorcyle and a cheap paint job for my car.

Where did you buy those wheels?
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cip1! one of my favorite online shops due to their prices are spot on.. and they ship fast..
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim3 wrote:
To late.. I like bigger wheels because it looks more sporty to me then smaller wheels. Im not going to slam it like most do with large wheels. Im going for more of a "track day" look for my car. Also the handling feels better to me with the wider tires and lower sidewalls. I def agree the smaller wheels are more period correct but the brms are period correct style with modern sizes. Not only did I do this for a modern take on a period correct look I did it for more tire choices that are under $90 a tire. For the money I spent I could of gotten one fender painted. Ill paint my car at a later date and I can never justify buying expensive tires.

Also only being into vws for about 20 years I have only seen this so called trend of large wheels grow steadily not in waves. It first started with larger modern porsche wheels and the "german look".. then larger period correct wheels were made back in thr late 90s early 2000s. If anything more people are switching over to the darkside. Wink so from my perspective its been a steady incline.. not that its right or wrong but for some they want that extra flash to soak panties or get a wider patch on the ground the ground with out losing rotational mass. I matched my height of tires to pretty much be 25" diameter with new setup so it stays as close to stock tire height. Again im not going for the slammed look tucking my wheels im going for a performance stance with a little flash. Wink

If you like the 'track day' look then there is only one.
Bryan Thomson's Aussie mid engined v8 type 3 sport sedan got it so right in the seventies. http://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/australias-fa...rts-sedan/
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! that thing looks awesome.

Hard to believe such a machine existed and it was raced literately just down the road from here at my work.

71 Aussie notchback, the money pit
92 VP vacationer, old faithful never die
95 VR executive, Restored beyond factory
92 VP S Pack, bought it new old
tim3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty dope though want stay more stock.. love the lips on those wheels
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: