Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips and Tricks for Driving your VW in the Winter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my best to avoid driving in the snow/ice here in NC.
If I must... its usually in my Isuzu Pup Diesel loaded down with ballast in the bed.
For some reason.. Rolling Eyes There are too many "Redne..." hold it. Speak to the hand . ... people.. that just have to go out a "ride" in the snow..
Those are the real hazards.... not so much the actual weather and road conditions.
Of course....we dont really get a lot of snow... but here in the South.. an inch will cripple the roads for a good day... then its 60 degrees the next..
(Nothing like Jersey)

As for driving in the snow in the old Vw... Yeah I used to ... If I had a road worthy beater I still would.... The Vw's I now have on the road... I have too much invested to sacrifice to the brine, salt, sand and ...those "other" people on the roads in the snow.. If was an emergency Id take em' out.. They are better than some 4wd's.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening the vent windows a bit will increase the heat circulation. This is usually mentioned in the owners manual.

I run 5-30 in my Bus during the winter. You can really tell the difference, especially at start up.

I've been running these for a few years:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

About 20 bucks at Autozone or Walmart. Really cuts the chill on the back side.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
crukab wrote:
DRY Sand in gallon Milk jugs- gets me out of slippery spots, I dry it in a metal pan on the wood stove- frozen wet sand does not help much... Laughing

Kitty liter works just as well as sand and you can{b] buy it{/b} in gallon jugs. Don't have to dry it.

I'm waaaay to cheap to buy something when I can get the sand free, plus I have a wood stove going from November until April, put one of my many SS hotel pans on the stove, push the sand around a little a few times, pour it in a jug w/ a funnel, done. I have 4-6 on hand, it lasts years if you don't need it.
Enough about sand...
Since I park outside, I will use a oil pan heater, but only if it's going to be -10 or worse... A good battery is the best winter help you can get. New wipers each winter are a good idea too.

Cold in Vermont :

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome I was just thinking about this last night! I was wondering if anyone has any tips on keeping your windshield clear, I find that if the snow is wet or if its a winter mix I can scrape it off and clear the windshield, but then as Im driving down the road it just refreezes and I have to stop every so often and scrap again on the side of the road. Obviously if thats what I have to do to keep a safe visibility I will but a way to avoid this would be awesome!
bobna54oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned before, but it bears hearing it again. Don't use your handbrake when its cold, especially if you are parking the car for an extended period of time, like overnight or for the day at work. If there is snow, water, slush, etc. inside the brake drums, and it does get in there, it will freeze and the car does not move any more. Very Happy I found this out the hard way, more than once. Its a hard habit to get out of, pulling on the brake when you park.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Opening the vent windows a bit will increase the heat circulation. This is usually mentioned in the owners manual.

I run 5-30 in my Bus during the winter. You can really tell the difference, especially at start up.

I've been running these for a few years:

About 20 bucks at Autozone or Walmart. Really cuts the chill on the back side.

While the freezing point of water is 32, mine's 60!!! Neutral

Some years ago my wife got me a couple of heating "seat-overs" similar to that^^^. However, they have you sitting higher on the bus, too high for my taste. Also, after using it for some time they tend to lose their form. So, on the Plump Truck which I have vanAgone seats, I tore the seat-over apart, removed the upholstery on the seat, installed the heating element unto the seat, then re-installed the upholstery back on it. With a cig-lighter installed next to the heater control knob, I plug it in and it's "inst-A-warm"! Razz

Need to do the same for the Dormy. Anxious
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in Germany I drove my VW Beetle year round. It seemed to get around as well as other cars and better than some. The 6 volt battery and starting system was a pain sometimes but all-in-all a fun car to drive in the snow.

http://voices.yahoo.com/winter-driving-tips-classic-vw-beetle-owners-11970478.html

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metro Atlanta is just about paralyzed. I took my VW out to see how it did on 1" of ice and snow. It made it around the block just fine and would only spin tire when I accelerated too much for conditions. Wife said I was Playing. I said I was making sure we could travel in an emergency.
Taken this morning.
Marvin
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big bump (vortex style) for anyone else experiencing the arctic blast.

I just invested in studded snow tires, huzzah!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do need studded tires for the winter in the 303! My Dad had 4 studded tires to put on my Mom's Oldsmobile & 4 more for his pickup every winter in Missoula, MT.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter is rough where I'm at. I think yesterday the lows were 55F Crying or Very sad

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: