Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Warning: Bogus Late Bay Brake Shoes
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Warning: Bogus Late Bay Brake Shoes Reply with quote

I was just checking out some new brake shoes I received recently, and tried putting together an assembly on a new backing plate. It was a massive struggle to get things together - far more so than is usually the case. I found that the holes in the shoes that hold the ends of the large return spring are spaced much too far apart. The attached photo shows a normal installation, with the red arrows showing the normal space between the spring ends and the outer edge of the web. In my case, that space is ZERO and the spring is actually jammed up against the bottom of the shoe proper.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bad shoes are TCM #421. They are supposedly for use on 73-79 busses, equiv. VW part #211 609 537N. They were sold to me by Wolfsburg West.

I also might add, the metal thickness of the shoe base on these is an extremely chintzy 2.1 mm, and the central web is 3.0 mm, far thinner than any of my other VW shoes.

EDIT: Removed unwarranted mention of other vendors.

MORE EDIT: Also the holes in the web for the lower return spring are about half the normal size.

MORE MORE EDIT: Ron Bengry of WW has graciously authorized the return of these shoes, although not strictly obligated to do so, as described further on. He also
said he has personaly installed a set of these shoes with no problems noted, so it is not clear that these defects are present in current stock (my shoes seem to have
a mfg date from 2011).

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by kreemoweet on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 am; edited 3 times in total
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you're welcome for the pic. Twisted Evil God damn that's pretty.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S421 is the generic number for the shoes, so there could be many vendors and manufacturers using that number to cross-reference a set of brake shoes. all bus brake shoes for '74-'79 are technically also S421. fwiw i haven't seen any shoes with the issue you're referring to.

also FYI on the photo above the spring washer looks to be in the wrong place or missing. the washer goes between the head of the brake lever pin and the lever.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what Wolfsburg West says when you let them know about the problem. Is TCM the brand that was on the box?
lintbrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some frustration getting shoes for my early bay lately. First I ordered PEX/Pagid and they sent Ideal made in China shoes from their supplier. I later ordered front shoes that were supposed to be Enduro made in US, but these too came as Ideal, made in China. BusDepot apologized and gave me an RMA no questions asked, but seems like quality shoes are getting harder to source. I ended up using them. We'll see how they hold up. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1168681.jpg
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Let us know what Wolfsburg West says when you let them know about the problem. Is TCM the brand that was on the box?

Yes, "TCM" was the only identifier on the (normal-looking) box, along
with "Brake Lining Shoe Ass'y", "Brake Shoes", a sticker with "421" on it, and a Wolfsburg West sticker. Each shoe itself also had the inscription "TCM 421/2011 01 10".

As far as WW goes, it is long past the 30 days their terms allow for returns, and also I seem to have misplaced my copy of the invoice, so it looks like this one's on me. I will nevertheless email them about the problem merchandise. If they decide to do anything above and beyond their obligations, I will surely post about it here.

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: brake assembly Reply with quote

Also:
Bottom return spring is on backwards and, hub should NOT be painted
either. Embarassed
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in the Bentley and yes, it looks like the bottom return spring is on backwards. What effect does that have on anything? Zero. Next time I have the drums off to clean and adjust the rear brakes I'll swap it around for you. As for the hub, absolutely nothing wrong with painting it and the paint also helps keep down the rust that likes to form in between the hub and drum and slowly combine the two metals into one.

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone's interested in a visual, the 73-79 rear shoes currently pictured here: http://www.justkampers.com/211-698-537-n-rear-brake-shoes-set-of-four-vw-t2-bay-1973-1979.html are the "bad" ones, with the misplaced upper spring holes and the tiny lower spring holes. Oddly enough, WW's illustration seems to show OK ones.

I suppose I'll have to redrill the spring holes to actually use these shoes I have. If someone could see fit to measure the hole location on a "good" shoes and report it
here, it would be most appreciated.

RunningRough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I just recently ordered two cylinders, rear shoes and a spring kit from Bus Depot. Everything seemed to fit up fine. All nice and new looking back there now. I have no idea about the quality of the parts. I didn't even see a manufacturers name on the brake shoe packaging.

I can say the parts looked good and fit good.

Actually, now that I think of it. There was one issue.......the pins for the anti-rattle springs were too short. I just wire wheeled my old pins.
Solex 34 PICT-3
Flame Thrower Dist, Vacuum Advance

1982 Vanagon Diesel L
Diesel engine replaced with 1984 VW Golf engine
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a set of Chinese brake shoes on my '78. I didn't notice the hole spacing but I did notice the cracks in the brake lining. Chinese junk. I'm sick of it, but there's no escaping anymore.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been lucky to find two Pagid sets on fleabay. They don't come up often. RockAuto has some Bendix relined sets, and some Raybestos old stock sets, not many left. To be frank, quality shoes for buses are getting harder to find. Scott at German Supply sells one brand that works well if he still has some. I would get the Chinese crap off the bus and ask for a refund. This issue started back about 2005 if you read the old threads so this is nothing new. If you want to get 100% braking, use the highest quality you can find, and make a call to the vendor before ordering to make sure they aren't substituting. Lots of these places don't stock the part, they order from a wholesaler and many times even they are not told the source has changed. Meaning that say WW or BD has ordered Pagid shoes for 20 years from Wholesaler A. One day a customer complains that he ordered Pagid but got an off brand. WW or BD calls the wholesaler and finds that Pagid is no longer available. They call around and no one has it so they find a line like Enduro and start selling those. One day the same happens and they find that some cheap Chinese shoes are being used now and that the Enduro are no longer available. So call before you order - ALWAYS. Or get them from Scott, he works on VW buses too so he keeps stock on hand of many of these things. Or fleabay if you get lucky etc. Try to stay with ATE, Bendix, Pagid, Raybestos etc. on these old buses if you can find them.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just quit f'n around with junk and have your old stuff relined, resleeved and remaned.

http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/brakerebuilding.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crappy parts are everywhere and this isn't about supplier "A" or "B" really, but the difference between some suppliers and others is that they actually look at the parts when they're put into inventory and also when they're packed and shipped. as vendors get larger it's harder and harder to maintain this kind of quality control, before you catch the issue many people may already be affected. brake shoes have gone way down in quality, like everything else, but there's no logical explanation why the carrier (the metal part) of a brake shoe would be wrong, these are industry standard specifications and should be very close to the same no matter who manufactures the shoes.

i think what's happening here is some manufacturer is taking a shortcut and using a carrier that isn't actually for an S421 shoe but is 'close enough'. shameful really that 'close enough' thinkers are deciding for us what quality of parts we receive. some of the brake shoes we have are made in china and they're actually quite good, but we do look at them and in many cases install them before we make them available for sale. we have some other shoes made in scandinavia that are not as good as the chinese ones.

a clear illustration of the decline of brake parts is here in an ad for some NOS genuine brake pads, there is a massive difference between readily available current supply pads and what used to be available from the VW dealer. you can easily see how much better the manufacture and finishing is on the genuine shoe versus a generic economy shoe. of course for genuine you always had to pay more, so this has driven quality parts out of the marketplace.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1594531

Last edited by germansupplyscott on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Close enough" works for a dashboard screw, not brake parts. Lordy. I notice it everywhere, nothing fits right or is up to standards in a lot of businesses now.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Waves2day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread. Thanks for the info.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: brake assembly Reply with quote

I have never argued with an employee of the DMV Razz

Brake spring installation answer
If you theorize the return spring losing its effect when the primary lining wears then you will know why it is supposed to be installed the way it is in the repair manual.

It will NOT interfere or have a chance of falling out in front of the linings.

As for painting hubs, Drums or lugnut area it's been proven that this will not only produce a poor torque spec on the other fitting parts but is also dangerous.

Paint will move (chip) when applied unevenly and cause runout to change

The proper way to do this is to wire brush the hub and apply a thin coat
of multi-purpose grease on the contact surface. Before installing either the brake drum or brake rotor.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: brake assembly Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
I have never argued with an employee of the DMV Razz

Many have tried, few have succeeded. Twisted Evil

Thanks for the info on the brake spring. Like I said, next time I have the drum off I'll swap it around and put it in the right way. Everything is in storage until Spring anyway and I always go over the brakes when I pull them out for the season. At least I'll never make that mistake again. I'd have to look back at the pics, but that was probably the way it was when I took it apart which is why it went back together that way. Everytime I do rear brakes now I'll think of you when I'm putting that spring back in.

old DKP driver wrote:
As for painting hubs, Drums or lugnut area it's been proven that this will not only produce a poor torque spec on the other fitting parts but is also dangerous.

Paint will move (chip) when applied unevenly and cause runout to change

I'd love to see something to back up your claim. Paint on a hub isn't going to chip when it's between the hub and drum. There's nothing there TO chip it. I'll snap a pic when I pull the drums in the spring, guarantee they look exactly like they did in that pic. I always clean and paint when I do the rears on a Bus for the first time and in over 100K cumulative miles driven I've never had a brake issue or any paint chipped off of the hub.

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory isn't the greatest but it seems as if the spring installed correctly pulls the shoes in the right direction and tension against the bumps on the backing plate. With the spring reversed it doesn't.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, this is truly disgusting ...

I just received another set of brake shoes for 73-79 bus, sent by Beck/Arnley Worldparts Inc, #0811489, ordered from rockauto.com, and they
are defective in exactly the same way as my TCM shoes. Even worse, because the linings are noticeably thinner. Made in China, of course.

There is no way these shoes I'm getting are correct, the big return spring is under so much tension it won't sit straight in the shoe holes (keeps trying
to "unwind"). Genuine VW return springs, too.

Again, it would be swell if someone could post a photo/template/whatever of a known-to-be-good late bus brake shoe, maybe we can get these
manufacturers/dealers straightened out.

I have another set of shoes on the way, different brand, also ordered from rockauto.com. We'll see pretty soon ...

If we can't get proper brake shoes, then we'll all have to park our busses permanently, ya know ...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: