Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

56 rear axle bearing covers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: 56 rear axle bearing covers Reply with quote

After doing some searching and reading online it seems that the 56 oval had a few different sized rear axle bearing covers. I read the thread posted here that shows how to tell which covers you have by measuring the ones that came off your car. Problem I have is my 56 oval project came to me mostly in boxes with lots of parts missing, including the bearing covers. Is there a way to tell based on build date which ones I need? Best I can tell my chassis was built Dec '55.
Googlestein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these pics off a thread long ago, I had all kinds of problems with the fitment of my axle tubes and covers. After buying the wrong ones from a local vw guru... And lots of wasted gaskets this was my savior... You have to see what kinda axle tubes you have and then match them to the right caps or they will leak. The easy way to look is the "male" ridge on the cap or if the male is on the axle tube. The pics explain it pretty well ill check back to see if this is enough later one today hope it helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that sure helps. Now to find some for sale. Anyone know if you can buy the 57 and older bearing covers new? Or do I have to find used.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking at used.

The above post is correct and excellent but perhaps you might have missed the fact that you need to look at your axle tubes first to find out what you have before you go shopping for bearing covers. A 56 car could have any one of those three axle tubes in it due to previous owner changes.
J A Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell everything is original. So pretty sure I'm looking for 57 and older.
Googlestein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah if you look at the lower picture it shows the axle tubes and the two main kinds you will most likely see. I have a extra set of the 58-64 caps if needed. Notice the caps and how the 57- ones have the male ring on the cap and a small one on the axle tube as well. The 58-64 ones have a female cap and a longer male axle tube ridge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: