Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
As you pointed out elsewhere extra load passenger tires must be derated, which mean the stock 205/75r14's would have been rated at just over 1433 pounds for use on a MPV.

In re-reading that paragraph, you're right, it wasn't worded quite right. I've edited it to reflect the 9%.

big toe wrote:
Helpful info, thanks. Any way to list it in a spreadsheet? It might be easier to digest and cross compare that way.

I can't find the Kumho KL78 for sale anywhere, not even on the Kumho site. Anyone have a link?

Hmm. You're right; Kumho does not list the 27x8.5x14 and the common tire stores don't list it either (how'd I miss that?!). So, I've removed it from the list.

And, yes, I'll put it all into a spreadsheet in the near future.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about 99% sure that the federal regulation that "de-rated" passenger car tires by 9% when used on a truck or MPV woul.d have had an effective date long after VW offered the Michelin 205/70/14 XL on a Vanagon.

Of course they have not made that Michelin in a long time by now, so it is likely a moot issue anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Kamz - Awesome post - Dancing Dancing

I just went with the usual; BFG AT - 215/70 R16 and couldn't be happier. really debated the 225's but I like the way the 215's don't completely fill the wheel wells. i don't have a lift. Stock syncro springs with OME's.

They look perfect IMO.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU Kam!

I noticed some of the tires say "Winter", and a few say "All Season", was planning on Nokian b/c their weather is supposed to be like ours (wet w/ a bit of snow here and there). There is one that says, "Nokian WRG2 All-weather Plus", so currently leaning towards that.

The Continental Vanco say, "4 Season" and one tire said 3 season (assume it doesn't like snow). Then, a bunch say, "all terrain".

What about all the ones that don't say anything one way or the other?

And, my dumb question of the day, what and how do the different patterns on the tires affect driving (mileage, slipping, corning etc)? They all *look* different. I know how to tell if I like a tire once I've driven on it, it's *really* obvious, especially in the rain. My last tires were supposed to be better in the rain, but fine in the snow (all seasons), but flat out sucked all around. My current tires are good in the rain and fine in the snow. Obviously, I can't put those tires on my Vanagon, but how do I get tires I like, before I buy them? Confused

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small sipes or cuts in the tread tend to increase traction over a wide range of conditions as there are more edges to dig into the surface, while larger tread blocks help in soft snow and mud. Wide cuts between the lugs will allow water to be squished out from under the tire. Traction tires and snow tires tended to be very noisy and wear out quickly decades ago, but today with computer design can run quietly and can give good tire life as the air moving between the blocks of tread helps keep them cool.

Tires without sipes don't chunk out as badly in off road use, as when spinning ones way up a steep rocky hillside.

Some tire compounds are harder for longer wear while some are softer for cold weather traction.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings! So the tires I did not like, must not have had enough sipes on them, b/c the slid all over the place in the rain and snow?

I'm now starting to get a grasp on tires, at least I get the numbers now and have chosen mine. Ok, two people suggested the same one so that's good enough for me! LOL Less painful for everyone! LOL Going to try the Nokian WRG3 in 215/60/16. The Canadian installed price is $900.

Can anyone do better?

Thanks for all the help. When this is done, I'm moving onto bumpers or a fridge! LOL

tam
Wildthings wrote:
Small sipes or cuts in the tread tend to increase traction over a wide range of conditions as there are more edges to dig into the surface, while larger tread blocks help in soft snow and mud. Wide cuts between the lugs will allow water to be squished out from under the tire. Traction tires and snow tires tended to be very noisy and wear out quickly decades ago, but today with computer design can run quietly and can give good tire life as the air moving between the blocks of tread helps keep them cool.

Tires without sipes don't chunk out as badly in off road use, as when spinning ones way up a steep rocky hillside.

Some tire compounds are harder for longer wear while some are softer for cold weather traction.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
denver_westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: tires for 15 inch rims? Reply with quote

Hello Any opinions on either of these tires? Has anyone run them on gowesty style rims? Tires easy has them. thanks

Falken-Ohtsu Ziex ZE950 A/S 205/65R15XL 99W BSW BSW $ 72.90

Achilles X GRIP 205/65R15C C/6PR $ 84.50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recommendation for some quiet tires? I am so sick of my NOISY BFG's, it gets very tiresome on long trips. I don't do anything more than regular National Forest roads that are in relatively good condition, so the BFG's are overkill for me now days.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for some quiet tires? I am so sick of my NOISY BFG's, it gets very tiresome on long trips. I don't do anything more than regular National Forest roads that are in relatively good condition, so the BFG's are overkill for me now days.

What wheel size?

I have been running Falken Ziex 912 215/65-16 98H for a couple of years. They're quiet, and I've had no performance issues, although my van does not see snow. Speedo/odo are pretty close, as well.

I previously had Fuzion HRI 225/60-16 that were good initially, but got unbearably louder as they wore.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we have a new 14 incher.
Kenda Klever A/T - 27x8.5x14.
C-Rated, looks kinda badass and meets specs for 2wd and Syncro. Maybe they were thinking about Syncros because the rating meets minimum Syncro spec exactly.
http://www.kendatire.com/en/automotive/suv-light-truck/klever-at/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
C-Rated, looks kinda badass and meets specs for 2wd and Syncro. Maybe they were thinking about Syncros because the rating meets minimum Syncro spec exactly.

Oh yay, another high performance tire from a Chinese company well known for their ATV, golf cart, lawn tractor and mountain bike tires... Rolling Eyes
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

Oh yay, another high performance tire from a Chinese company well known for their ATV, golf cart, lawn tractor and mountain bike tires... :roll:

Well, I had their tires on my go-kart as a kid and they never let me down.
big toe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

Oh yay, another high performance tire from a Chinese company well known for their ATV, golf cart, lawn tractor and mountain bike tires... Rolling Eyes

And I've bought hundreds of Kenda motorcycle tires over the years for training bikes, never had any issues. They stick just as good or better than more expensive tires. I have a set on a Ninja 250 I use to demo for sport bike instruction too.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big toe wrote:
dixoncj wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

And I've bought hundreds of Kenda motorcycle tires over the years for training bikes, never had any issues. They stick just as good or better than more expensive tires. I have a set on a Ninja 250 I use to demo for sport bike instruction too.

My experiences with Chinese tires and wet roads weren't positive in any way.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxxis makes some 27x8.5 LT tires.
http://www.maxxis.com/tire-search?category=101&width=27&aspectRatio=8.5&rim=14
85Joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Nokian entyre 16" Reply with quote

for my new GW 16"x7.5" rims with a Subi motor:
I'm about to get:

Nokian eNTYRE
215/65 R 16 102 T XL (770 rev/mi)

It was close, but it came down to that vs:

Nokian Hakka Van
215/65 R 16 C 109/107 (770 rev/mi)
above seemed overkill for load and maybe harsher/louder?

Pirelli Cinturano P7 AS+
215/55 R 16 97H (810 rev/mi)
..well like on tirerack.com on sedans and perfect revs match , but standard load and I wanted a bit more margin there.

Anyone have any last second advice? Otherwise, I'll post back
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokian entyre 16" Reply with quote

85Joker wrote:
for my new GW 16"x7.5" rims with a Subi motor:
I'm about to get:

Nokian eNTYRE
215/65 R 16 102 T XL (770 rev/mi)

Anyone have any last second advice? Otherwise, I'll post back

Those tires are ~5% bigger than stock and will affect your overall gearing quite noticeably, especially with a 2.2.

225/60-16 are ~3% bigger and 225/55-16 are the same as stock.
www.thebassspa.com
85Joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokian makes a eNTYRE in 225/55 R 16 99 H XL (808 rev/mi).

You talked me into it! I was going for beefy, but 99 and XL load rated is still very good.
ctbyrne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know anything about the Sumitomo HTR? It's the only 215/60/16 tire on Tire Rack with the right load rating- 99H / XL? It's one third the price of the Vredestein Comtract (which does have a much higher load rating).
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctbyrne wrote:
Anybody know anything about the Sumitomo HTR? It's the only 215/60/16 tire on Tire Rack with the right load rating- 99H / XL? It's one third the price of the Vredestein Comtract (which does have a much higher load rating).

Tire rack sells Goodyear wrangler hp in that size/rating
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 57

Jump to: