Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
whatmepanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

tomkat73 wrote:

Welcome to the madness. Change your fuel lines. You’ll find lots of opinions here.

Already done! (and resealed the tank itself!)

I tried searching, but for a librarian my Sambafu is weak!

ETA: I did look through that thread actually, just know that while the Trackers do look sweet as hell, just wondering if the air-cooled would be slowed to molasses with those bad boys.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

whatmepanic wrote:
tomkat73 wrote:

Welcome to the madness. Change your fuel lines. You’ll find lots of opinions here.

Already done! (and resealed the tank itself!)

I tried searching, but for a librarian my Sambafu is weak!

ETA: I did look through that thread actually, just know that while the Trackers do look sweet as hell, just wondering if the air-cooled would be slowed to molasses with those bad boys.

The original tire size for your van is 185r14. That should be your only search term when looking at various tire retailers' websites. An option would be 195r14, but they will be larger diameter and your drivability may be compromised due to power, especially on the upslope at altitude.

Google "185r14", look at the products offered and then move on to local shops with the info gleaned from your web searches. The 185r14 has a load rating of 102/100. I wouldn't settle for any tire rated lower than a load rating of 100.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
eskachig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Are ContiProContacts a decent fit for a van that will live on the road? Load rating of 99.

https://www.amazon.com/Continental-CONTI-CONTACT-Performance-Radial/dp/B079ZCLF1C
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've been running 16" rims, and wanted to keep the factory diameter, hence my size choice 195/65/16. Nokian Cline with a load rating of 102 has now been discontinued!
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've searched but no luck. New to me 1987 Vanagon GL with michelin agilis 61 185R14C but they are 20 years old. Every search I do online gives some results for 185R14C but if I select my bus details it says they don't fit.

two questions and I'll ask the stupid one first. My sticker shows 185R14C and 205/70 R-14 97 R reinforced. will the 205 fit on my stock rims?

can anyone that has purchased tires lately share where they purchased? searches on mist big name sites show no results when I enter vehicle details.

Thanks
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Dave Wood wrote:
I've searched but no luck. New to me 1987 Vanagon GL with michelin agilis 61 185R14C but they are 20 years old. Every search I do online gives some results for 185R14C but if I select my bus details it says they don't fit.

two questions and I'll ask the stupid one first. My sticker shows 185R14C and 205/70 R-14 97 R reinforced. will the 205 fit on my stock rims?

can anyone that has purchased tires lately share where they purchased? searches on mist big name sites show no results when I enter vehicle details.

Thanks

They're slowly disappearing due to decreasing demand. Many have switched to different size rims and the well-known vendors offer packages that include what you'll need. If you go that route, keep in mind that you'll most likely need a different solution to mount your spare.

There is a 14" thread which may have some recent recommendations. Mine came with Thunderer R101s, which tick most of the boxes spec-wise. I've taken them on dry forest roads and they've been fine but they're less than ideal for that. You'll find that most of the available choices are summer tires with a highway rib. If you ever need to deal with mud/grass, you may want to invest in a different rim size to get the tread you need.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

^^^ DW, have you looked through Kammy’s pdf in the first post of this topic?

I’m still running stock steel wheels and see no reason to change. There ARE tires
for our rigs, you just need to know what you want.

Online, forget about searching from vehicle details. Using the FAQ list, find a tire
you’re interested in & search for the tire you want.

I have driven 2 tires from the list…depending on your expected use, I can recommend
both the Hankook (great for highway/gravel but terrible for mud/snow) or the General
Grabber (great all-around & not appreciably noisier than the Hankooks…my new favorite).

Hope this helps… Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
or the General
Grabber (great all-around & not appreciably noisier than the Hankooks…my new favorite).

I'm curious if you have cycled your suspension with these mounted to check for interference? Did you need to modify your clamshell?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

No rubbing on my van….lucky, maybe?

I’ve been everywhere including some Jeep trails in Utah with nothing to show for it.
I’m carrying a different spare (cheaper but adequately rated all-season) so I don’t
personally have an answer for Grabbers in the clamshell…

- Dave

1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
No rubbing on my van….lucky, maybe?

I’ve been everywhere including some Jeep trails in Utah with nothing to show for it.
I’m carrying a different spare (cheaper but adequately rated all-season) so I don’t
personally have an answer for Grabbers in the clamshell…

- Dave

If you get a flat on the rear, make sure you keep the same diameter tire back on there (Grabbers). That may require you to swap the smaller spare on to the front, then swap the good Grabber from the front to the the rear Grabber flat.

BK
eskachig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I've been running 16" rims, and wanted to keep the factory diameter, hence my size choice 195/65/16. Nokian Cline with a load rating of 102 has now been discontinued!

Tire size calculator seems to think that size ends up with 777 revolutions per mile, so it's not exactly the factory diameter.
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/195-65R16.htm

I'm still trying to figure out what tires to get for my new 16" rims that won't rob me of what little power the waterboxer has, and it's been super frustrating. Seems like everything is either the wrong size, or the wrong load rating.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

That tire size calculator gets the rev per mile wrong, in just about every case I've checked.
You have to look for the real specs of an actual tire.
Nokian factory specs are 800 rev per mile for their 195/65R16 tires.

The "stock" size 14" tires were in the 810 - 820 rev/mile area.

Mark

eskachig wrote:
Wellington wrote:

Tire size calculator seems to think that size ends up with 777 revolutions per mile, so it's not exactly the factory diameter.
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/195-65R16.htm....
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
…I’m carrying a different spare (cheaper but adequately rated all-season)…

If you get a flat on the rear, make sure you keep the same diameter tire back on there (Grabbers). That may require you to swap the smaller spare on to the front, then swap the good Grabber from the front to the the rear…

If this were a syncro I’d be all over this, but it’s a non-problem for 2WD.
The differential handles this situation every time you go around a corner…

Cool

- Dave

brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
That tire size calculator gets the rev per mile wrong, in just about every case I've checked.
You have to look for the real specs of an actual tire.
Nokian factory specs are 800 rev per mile for their 195/65R16 tires.

The "stock" size 14" tires were in the 810 - 820 rev/mile area.

Mark

eskachig wrote:
Wellington wrote:

https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/195-65R16.htm....

General's own spec of 770 revs per mile (which would be about 26.2 diameter) would put it at about 3.5% larger (assuming 820 revs for stock tire). I can't say whether or not that would be a noticeable drag on the stock transaxle.

I'm very tempted to go with the Grabbers next time I need tires. The only hesitation I have is the max load of 1520. Kamz guide suggests no less than 1580 for Campmobiles.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Well 820/770 = 1.065 so about a 6% difference for gearing purposes.

That is significant for stock engine power and at the upper limit IMHO.

Mark
Wolfram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I am running Rhein 15" rims with Nokian 205/70/15C tires.

One has to be replaced. Nokia no longer make them. I have tried every tire place on Google to no avail. Plenty of plain 205/70/15 but no 'C'

What are 15" people doing now?
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I have a '91 transporter that I put the Hankook 185-14C tires on. They work great, are a tough tire with the proper weight rating, and are a long wearing tire. Your other option is to look for a 205-70R 14 with a weight rating of 100-102

It is getting really hard to find a 14" C rated tire which is one reason so many Vanagon owners have upgraded to 15 or 16" wheels.
Stagecoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: BFG Sizing Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
Hey all.

Currently have Rheins with BFG AT KO 215/75r15.
Great setup, except for the loud tires.
No rubbing, great snow/dirt performance.

Finally going to get 16in CLKs fitted with BFG AT KOs.
Was planning 225/70r16.

I have the appropriate lug nuts from T3, center caps too.
Will drill out the CLK holes to 37/64 to fit the OEM mounting bolts/studs.

My Syncro has the GW 2in lift and Burley UCAs.

Anyone have this setup? feedback? rubbing?
Would 215/70r16, or some other size, be better option?

Cheers all.

I'm thinking about some KUMHO ROAD VENTURE A/T 51 - 215/75r15. Had anybody had problems with them rubbing. It looked like there might be some rear trailing arm rubbing. What's a good gauge for closeness that's okay?
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

hey y'all

I've been trying to figure out what 15" tires to get for a while now and I'm kind of at my wits end with all the pages of opinions at this point. I scored a set of the GW knock off CLKs for very cheap on craigslist a while back and was gonna put some expensive BFGs on there but really just want some decent all season road tires that aren't going to totally empty my pockets.

any suggestions on affordable road tires? thank you!!!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've been running 205/70/15 (100T) Nokian Entyres for years now..
I see the 205/65/15 are (99lr) so those would be closer to stock diam.

I do change them out before they get to the bottom ~30%

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...yre+205+15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 57

Jump to: