Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
darkstar1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Ended up with a flat/moderate leak in one of our Michelin Agilis that were outfitted by the previous owner. 205/65/15

We just did a full suspension overhaul (shocks, springs, all bushings) and added the Burley big brakes in the front.

I'd been thinking about going to 16inch wheels, etc since those Agilis were just about aged out and with all the suspension work we need an alignment.

We've got a S&S Fraken Subaru motor in the back but with an AT and 3.27 R&P I really hesitate to go larger with tires.

Anyway, the flat and a camping reservation next weekend forced my hand and I went with the Nokian WRC3 205/65/15. 6ply but I think they'll be much more sturdy than the Agilis. We took a drive down to Big Sur this past weekend and a few strong gusts going up the grade really pushed the van around.

Hope they get here in time. Our spare is 14 inch the flat holds air for a few hours sitting in the drive but might have to have it towed over to the tire shop.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I've been running 205/70/15 (100T) Nokian Entyres for years now..
I see the 205/65/15 are (99lr) so those would be closer to stock diam.

I do change them out before they get to the bottom ~30%

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...yre+205+15

thanks for this reply. do you prefer the wider diameter?

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Stagecoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
hey y'all

I've been trying to figure out what 15" tires to get for a while now and I'm kind of at my wits end with all the pages of opinions at this point. I scored a set of the GW knock off CLKs for very cheap on craigslist a while back and was gonna put some expensive BFGs on there but really just want some decent all season road tires that aren't going to totally empty my pockets.

any suggestions on affordable road tires? thank you!!!

I nearly have the same exact setup. The wheels that I have are actual Mercedes ones though. I'm going to get some 195/70r15s of Continental Vanco tires put on. I know that they aren't the coolest, but they are all season and have a perfect load rating. When measuring out some of the larger sizes, it was looking like there were going to be some close distances to the rear trailing arm. I was originally looking at 215s and 205s, but currently, it's been difficult to find anything lower than a 75 ratio through my searches. That would make the diameter grow to be too close. With the Vancos, I'm getting about an inch bump in diameter. It isn't much, but I've decided that I don't need off-road traction a ton even though I live on an unpaved road. In the winter, I'm fine with chains too as I'm way too far out to not have them anyway.

Hope that helps. I've been frozen with decisions for a while about the type of tire to choose.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
I've been running 205/70/15 (100T) Nokian Entyres for years now..
I see the 205/65/15 are (99lr) so those would be closer to stock diam.

I do change them out before they get to the bottom ~30%

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...yre+205+15

thanks for this reply. do you prefer the wider diameter?

I have Nokian Entyres all season 205/65/16s on Merc rims and I hate them. Noisy, harsh ride and I get stuck in the flat plowed driveway in the winter. But the worst thing is, in a heavy rain 55MPH is top speed as they aquaplane like crazy and the directional stability is seriously compromised. I won't go over 50 if the roads are wet. I wish I had bought 15 inch rims as there is only one 195 I could find which is rated for the Sprinter and I'm worried the side wall may be stiffer yet with a harsh ride.

However, a fair disclosure is my '91 ex tintop is light. There are no seats at all, except for the driver's and the steel roof is out from right behind the B pillar all the way to the A/C housing. Don't know what it weighs, but I get 21 MPH regularly. But even with 800 pounds of tools and gear, it will still aquaplane.

Any one know of a 195/65/16 tire? On, and by the way, you have to modify the clamshell to get a 205 in it. No way a 215 will fit.

Duncan
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've been running 215 tires in 15 and 16 on multiple vans for 25+ years.
I have put the matching 215 wide 15 and 16 spares into many vans after modifying the carrier.
The rim WIDTH is a critical factor in this.
6" to 6.5" helps a lot, 7.0 is iffy and more work with 215.
I've managed it, using Nokian Entyre 215/65/16XL which I find to be quiet and smooth riding, perhaps a little soft.
205 is certainly an easier fit in the spare well.
205/70R15 and 205/65R16 can work on 7.0 rims with a VanCafe style spare carrier.

https://vancafe.com/oversized-spare-tire-carrier/

Mark

DuncanS wrote:
....and by the way, you have to modify the clamshell to get a 205 in it. No way a 215 will fit.

Duncan
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I've been running 215 tires in 15 and 16 on multiple vans for 25+ years.
I have put the matching 215 wide 15 and 16 spares into many vans after modifying the carrier.
The rim WIDTH is a critical factor in this.
6" to 6.5" helps a lot, 7.0 is iffy and more work with 215.
I've managed it, using Nokian Entyre 215/65/16XL which I find to be quiet and smooth riding, perhaps a little soft.
205 is certainly an easier fit in the spare well.
205/70R15 and 205/65R16 can work on 7.0 rims with a VanCafe style spare carrier.

https://vancafe.com/oversized-spare-tire-carrier/

Mark

DuncanS wrote:
....and by the way, you have to modify the clamshell to get a 205 in it. No way a 215 will fit.

Duncan

Yep. I can get a 215/75/15 BFG KO2 on a 15" Rhein rim into the spare tire area using the Van Cafe carrier. I do have to air down the spare, but that is no issue since I carry a pump with me at all times.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I stand corrected on fitting wide tires in the clamshell. I cut the original hinges off and turned them upside down and trimmed the carrier, but if more radical surgery were performed, I'm sure bigger ones would fit. The overall diameter is important as there isn't much side room. One problem I have is sliding the fatter tire up on the clamshell under the bumper. It can be tough as there isn't really enough entry angle. If I drive the front wheels up on a 2 x something on one side, it is much easier. Don't know how a 215 would slide up, but I guess it works OK.

Mark, I'm surprised we have had such different experiences with the Entyres.

Duncan
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nokian Entyre 2.0 vs Nokian One - 215/60r16?

I have been running the Nokian Entyre 2.0 in 215.60r/16 size on GW rims for the past five years. I have out put about 20K miles on them, mostly on various interstates and have been quite pleased with the wear, ride and performance. I notice that they have been discontinued and replaced with the Nokian One which is available in the same size but the One is rated as a 95V tire whereas the Entyre is rated as an XL tire at 99H. The One is also rated with a max load of 1520 lbs, so my question is: Any issues changing to the One for a full camper Westy with this new load rating or should I be looking for something else? Many thanks for the insights.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

SWAG says you need to change. 95V means the sidewall isn't as secure. Fewer plies.

Duncan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

x2...Something else. Evil or Very Mad

Lacking an "XL" rating, the new "One" is just a plain old passenger car tire.

Subject to a 9% de-rating, yields 1383# max load if used on any light truck/van
and therefore not at all adequate for any Vanagon, much less a Westy.

Check Kam's pdf (from the Tire Sticky/FAQ)...several other good options out there:
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thx - Nokian also offers the ‘One’ in an HT/LT version with but not in the identical tire size to my Entyres, so I will have to decide on either a different brand offering or a different size in the One HT. Again, thx for the insights.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, I couldn’t find any 205s for 16” rims. Local national dealer found only a single all season tire. Milestar. Never heard of them.

Duncan
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
For what it’s worth, I couldn’t find any 205s for 16” rims. Local national dealer found only a single all season tire. Milestar. Never heard of them.

I got these from tireseasy.com and mounted them on CLKs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here between two stock-size tires; one of the old Wynstars and the Nexen that replaced it.

Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

So I picked up a parts van that had a original Michelin 185 R 14 PR6.
Oddly enough it was still holding air. I compared it next to the General Grabber ATXs I have on my 86 and the grabbers are barely taller.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Dave Wood wrote:
My sticker shows 185R14C and 205/70 R-14 97 R reinforced. will the 205 fit on my stock rims?

I have stock steel wheels with 185R14C. I was thinking about getting Yokahama Y356 light truck tires, but a recent review on another thread here spooked me. Will 205/70R14 tires work with stock steel wheels given they are a half inch less wide than alloys, or am dealing with a compromise of sorts?

jalan wrote:
I have a '91 transporter that I put the Hankook 185-14C tires on. They work great, are a tough tire with the proper weight rating, and are a long wearing tire. Your other option is to look for a 205-70R 14 with a weight rating of 100-102

It seems my choice with 185R14 tires are between "highway" and "commercial van" tires as "all season" tires are only for passenger cars -- Hankook, Nexen, Lexani and Linglong.

My only non-passenger tire I can find for 205/70R14C is a Maxxis. My concern here is whether I am really better off with wider tires regardless if I install them on the stock steelies or if I find some OEM alloys. Sinka steers kind of tough at low speeds and while parking as it is without power steering. Wider tires would make that a tradeoff for whatever benefits I may get at normal town and interstate speeds. (And what are those benefits anyway?--I never actually thought that deep about it before except on sportier vehicles when braking and cornering went hand-in-hand with higher speeds.)
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi,

Currently running 255/40R17 in the rear and 225/45R17 in the front with Porsche twist wheels on a Carat van.

I live in Montreal and we probably have to worst roads in America so the low profile tire makes the ride harsh, so I would like to add more side walls to the tire to improve confort while keeping the 17 inches Twists wheels. I have an EJ25 engine so a larger tires would help highway rpms.

Anyone have experience with 225/55R17 on a Carat ? Will these clear in the front.

Thanks

Mathieu
khoyer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anybody running 215/75/16 on a stock syncro? Ive got 215/70/16 on now and I like the look, was wondering if anybody bumped up a size. my clearance on the rear trailing arm is close but I think the 215/75/16s might fit. if not could I fit them with a spacer? on 16x7 ET 31
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Tire availability in Canada Reply with quote

I'm on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada, and I can't find suitable tires for my Westy. I tried online and a couple of shops, all I got was winter tires or Kumho Solus HA32, which looks a bit sporty to put on my Westy.

I need 215/60R16 or 205/65R16, load rating 99 or more, ideally all-weather (snowflake) but could settle for all-season.

Where should I be looking? I can import stuff from the US pretty easily (via Seawings at YYJ for the locals who know). Which website would you recommend?
Is buying tires on ebay a good idea?
(And, why not: are the Solus HA32 a good option? https://www.kumhotire.com/en-ca/global/tire/view.d...ditem=4074)
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Kal Tire online has all season Sumitomos HTR AS PO3 215 60R 16 99v and
Nokian WRC3 LT205 65R 16 107T all weather
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nokian WRC3 LT205 65R 16 107T all weather

I bought 4 of these and they are terrible. Harsh ride, aquaplane due to lack of adequate cross channels and I get stuck in winter on my flat driveway in 3" of snow.

Don't

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 57

Jump to: