Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tire availability in Canada Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
I need 215/60R16 or 205/65R16, load rating 99 or more, ideally all-weather (snowflake) but could settle for all-season.

I got these from tires-easy.com and have been happy with them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Shocked to realize they've been on the van for seven years now so that means they've been in use in nearly all road conditions, admittedly in only 10,000 miles since installation.

And I recall them being very affordable. Good luck!

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.
The Nokian WRC3 are indeed labeled all-season on KalTyre, but are winter tires everywhere else. Duncan's review makes me wonder about them anyway...
Wayne, unfortunately the Sumitomos are 3-season only, I need at least the M+S rating.
Seleniris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

VicVan, not sure what size tire you are looking for but I recently purchased Nokian One HT tires in size 205/65r15. They are M+S and the load rating is 102. So far so good. These tires replaced a previous set of Nokians purchased from Van Cafe. The Nokian One's come in a passenger tire and commercial van tire so make sure you are looking at the van tire.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi, it's in my message but it's on the previous page: 205 65, or 215 60.
I'll look into the Nokian One, thanks. Where did you buy them?
khoyer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I had great experiences with WRC3 not to be confused with the WRG3 two totally different tires. The WRC3 and Hakka CR3 (slightly different tread compounds) are load rated specifically for our Vans in the D and E load rating and not off standard passenger car load ratings. my experiences with the tires were opposite of duncans, sorry to hear they let you down. I could easily travel in snow in ice and mild to moderate off-road conditions like forest service roads and clay hard pack. during the latter I had an experience that turned to insanity during a thunderstorm and these tires crushed it even with 2wd open diff. I was trying to replace them but am having a hard time finding them other than in the hakka CR3 in the size I want 215/70/16. Now I am considering the nokian outpost APT and Falken wild peak AT Trail Terrain, however these tires do not have the same load ratings (acceptable but not the same). anyone with any experience with either of these new offerings and more specifialy in snow and ice?

Best of luck to you and again I can not recommend enough the Nokian WRC3 Hakka CR3 designed for vans/delivery vans in Europe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Seleniris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

VicVan, I got them at Discount Tires. They had to ship them from a central warehouse in Chicago but it only took a couple of days.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Seem to be more choices with 215 65R 16 looking at Tire Rack. Run a different tire on the rears?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

One of my problems is the tire width. Our T3swere delivered with 185 or 195s

There must be a reason for this as German engineers don't do SWAGS. When I had my 14" rims with 195s, all was right with the world. As tire choices for 14" rims became reduced, I decided to up grade to 16s. Maybe big brakes someday? I found to my horror that no 16 195s were available with the load range we need--am I wrong and there are some? So I settled for the Nokian 205s and immediately discovered scary aquaplaning. My car is light, so don't take my word as the ultimate authority.

In talking it over with several tire pros, they told me that yes, tire width is adverse to aquaplaning, but the tire must also be engineered to have good angled cross channels to conduct the water away from the contact surface. My Nokian 205s don't have that and the center continuous bands also prevent water removeal, thus squeegeing the water ahead and building up greater depth lifting the car slightly farther off the pavement.

And I had to modify the clamshell to get the 205s underneath the front of the car.

If I were to do it again, I'd go to 15" and 195s. Why are we obsessed with wide tires? Rugged he man off road wannabes? Mine is a DD in the Northeast. We don't have wide open off road opportunities.

Duncan
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Lots of Vanagons came stock with 205 width tires.
Just look at the tire pressure sticker in the door frame for the size/pressure chart on most 2.1 vans.
There was also a different spare clamshell in those vans for the extra width.
They also came on wider rims with different offset.

Mark

DuncanS wrote:
One of my problems is the tire width. Our T3swere delivered with 185 or 195s .........
Seleniris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Duncan, if you don't mind me asking which Nokians did you have issues with the hydroplaning?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
Seem to be more choices with 215 65R 16 looking at Tire Rack. Run a different tire on the rears?

I know, but 215 65 takes me 7% bigger than stock, that's too much. And I'd rather have one type of tire only...
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I can't believe how many times I say something to wind up looking like a total jerk. This is a photo of the door jam sticker in MY car.
It does in fact say 205s are OK, but it didn't fit in the clamshell, so I'm a bit confused. I guess they were saying 205s are OK, but they shipped with smaller ones.

Anyway here are some shots of the Nokia's:

This is all the information I have. There is no designation like WRG3.

Note the tread in this photo.

There are essentially four circumferential bands without cross channels to allow the road surface water to escape. The 4 bands are in effect squeegeeing the water ahead and building up a greater layer causing the tire to run on top of the water rather than the road surface. This according to a tire guy at one of my local dealers. Look how different this Michelin tire tread is. https://www.google.com/search?q=michelin+cross+cli...;oshop=apv

Duncan
khoyer01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I see your problem and would agree that your experience was probably very poor with those tires. They are the nokian entyre which is a highway road tire 3 season-ish said to have good longevity but not much for traction. The WRC3 and the hakka CR3 were built for delivery vans and light trucks with all weather traction and moderate terrain in mind and have since been replaced by the winter specific hakka CR4 (very pricey). It appears as of now there is no replacement for the WRC3. If you are looking for the nokian WRG3 SUV (different than WRC3) it has since been renamed to the nokian solstice, this was also a very good tire however it lacks the armirid side wall which all of the new tires incorporate. this reportedly adds additional protection, strength and puncture resistance.

Again curious if anyone has tried the new outpost APT or AT??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Is it a good idea to order tires from ebay? What's your experience?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've heard that eBay tires may be close to the expiration date, but have no experience.

Duncan
rlebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

My first post…..be kind.
1991, Carat Tin Top, Factory 14” Alloys, owned since 1993, 243K miles

I’ve been researching stock tires sizes (205/70/14)
My old Michelin MXL’s are finally showing signs of sidewall checking and it’s time for new shoes. I’d like to keep the same size tire (with dwindling choices).

Has anyone installed General Altimax RT45 205/70R14 98T XL ???
They are apparently made by Continental.
With a 98 max load derated 9% (1653 x .91) = 1504 lbs which is over the required 1433 lbs for a 2WD
These Generals have the XL sidewall Load Range and max PSI of 51lbs
Following is a site with all the specs. Walmart is cheaper.

https://www.tireagent.com/products/general-altimax-rt45-15577330000

Looking forward to replies or alternate tires and reasons why, with links.
Thank you.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I would run those w/o any real worry

the spec is a 205/14 XL for vans with factory alloy wheels. which specs at LR98

but do your self a favor and buy 5.
run a proper spare
and don't always know if/when a tire gets discontinued.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

And look for bolt on 15 inch wheels. 16's could be an option, but, size wise, gets to be an issue.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Welcome!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Notice that the factory door sticker for 1991 shows that size tire.
It shows Load 97 so the Load 98 Generals of that size should cover it.

Mark

rlebo wrote:
My first post…..be kind.
1991, Carat Tin Top, Factory 14” Alloys, owned since 1993, 243K miles

I’ve been researching stock tires sizes (205/70/14)
My old Michelin MXL’s are finally showing signs of sidewall checking and it’s time for new shoes. I’d like to keep the same size tire (with dwindling choices).

Has anyone installed General Altimax RT45 205/70R14 98T XL ???
They are apparently made by Continental.
With a 98 max load derated 9% (1653 x .91) = 1504 lbs which is over the required 1433 lbs for a 2WD
These Generals have the XL sidewall Load Range and max PSI of 51lbs
Following is a site with all the specs. Walmart is cheaper.

https://www.tireagent.com/products/general-altimax-rt45-15577330000

Looking forward to replies or alternate tires and reasons why, with links.
Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 57

Jump to: