Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

OK. I've read the first post by Kamz a couple of times. I've given the entire thread the once over twice.

So maybe someone can help because I'm not finding it-

Does anybody know of a 26"-26.5" (205/65 r15 or r16) All Terrain tire with proper load rating? I know I could fit 27" and there are lots of All Terrain tires in that size, but I don' want the power loss that some (but not all) speak of.

It seems when you get down to the 26" or 26.5" size there are no more all terrain tires available for 15-16 inch rims.

We plan to do a lot of camping and 90% of the drive will be highway, but I want to access the unpaved roads once I get to the destination.'

Any help will be appreciated....

Pardon if I bump this up a couple of times until I get a answer.

ps I was thinking to myself, "What a first world problem!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Is this it?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=CKS...17162815:s
http://www.continentaltire.com/product/wintercontact-si-20565r16-99h/?

It's not all terrain but I think I've given up on that. It's a good size and load rated 99 - 1709 lbs. Good price.

Speed rated to 130 mph Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Check with www.tires-easy.com for the Achilles Multivan 205R65-16 that I am using on my Westy. Not all terrain but a decent tread, 26.5 diameter in that size and a 102 rating, and very inexpensive.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Check with www.tires-easy.com for the Achilles Multivan 205R65-16 that I am using on my Westy. Not all terrain but a decent tread, 26.5 diameter in that size and a 102 rating, and very inexpensive.

I couldn't find that tire on their site.

The continental tire I posted has a load rating of 99 which is 1555 lbs. after the 9% correction so I figure it is OK based on what I've read. But being a winter tire will it melt crossing the Arizona desert in the summer?

Last edited by llilibel03 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Chumford: those look very nice! That diameter seems like it would fit in the clamshell, but the width seems a bit over, have you tried it yet? I think there is a little hanger extension you can make if not.

Spare carrier mod:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7279860#7279860

Last edited by bobbyblack on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 :

I keep a draft in my email with tires I have run across over the time I am looking for tires.. Here is my list so far, but I don't know if it matches your interests.

have

195/75/14 @ 815 Revs per mile

options

215/60/16 @ 808 Revs

215/65/16 @ 769 Revs

Toyo Versado Noir 215/65R16 XL 102H BSW
~$95/tire

Continental 4x4 Contact All-season (SUV)
215/65R16
Load range: XL
Load index: 102V
Max load: 1874 lbs.

Nexen CP521 SUV
215/65R16
Load index: 102T
Max load: 1874 lbs.

Nokian Hakka C Van
215/65R16
Load range: C
Load index: 109/107T

Nokian WR C Van
215/65R16C
Load range: D

Continental ExtremeWinterContact
215/65R16 (Euro metric)
Load index: 102T
Max load: 1874 lbs. -9% > 1705 lbs.
Max psi: 51
Revs/mile: 769

215/70/16 @ 742 Revs
225/60/16 @ 778 Revs

Imperial S110 225/60R16 102H BSW
~$89/tire

Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 225/60R16 XL 102H BSW
~107/tire

225/65/16 @ 756 Revs

CONTINENTAL
VANCOWINTER 2
Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow
Size: 205/65R16C 107/105T D
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
UTQG: None
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dustyrhodes wrote:
I just installed 215/65/16 BFG KO2s on 16" South African steel wheels from van-cafe.

Stock springs and KYB shocks. GW 1.5" lift and Fox shocks coming as soon as my burley UCAs come in. Love the look so far!

[pics]

Nice looking van. So these photos are with stock springs? did you have any rubbing?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
campism wrote:

I couldn't find that tire on their site.

These guys show it. The other place might have discontinued the tire. Price here is about the same.

https://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires...5t+bw.html
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
You do realize that the Vanagon is the equivalent of a 3/4 ton truck, right? Even on my '67 Westy, the tire shops I took it to refused to mount any tires less than C. It was in fact, illegal for them to do so. Check out how much the Type 2 has grown since the Splitty times.

I happened to be reading the wikipedia entry re the Type 2 today. I have to correct the above claim of equiv. to a 3/4 ton truck.

As it turns out, the 750 kg (3/4 ton) cargo capacity version of the Type 2 ended in 1962, after the 1962 option of a 1000 kg version was released. Nobody wanted the 3/4 ton version anymore. Production of all Type 2's from then on were based the 1000kg (2205 lb) cargo capacity.

So, I learned something today because I was trying to remember back to 1988 when I couldn't afford all 4 tires I was trying to buy at the tire shop. I could only purchase 2 C rated tires at that time, I remember the guy said I had a 1 ton cargo capacity van which was a 1967 full westy so-42 turret, and it was illegal for him to put lower rated tires on. That was in Anchorage AK, so you can guess how much it hurt.

Anyway, Vanagons are not 3/4 ton, but instead 1 ton cargo rated. Hope I didn't mislead anyone. With that in mind, I will be keeping that lesson in mind when I get my next set of rubber. I scaled Flossie at 4100 lb with me in it, otherwise empty and 1/8 tank of gas. Add tools, camp gear, a spare engine and tranny (ok, I only did that twice on trips to AK) and 11 long haired friends of Jesus (JK) You get the picture.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
You do realize that the Vanagon is the equivalent of a 3/4 ton truck, right? Even on my '67 Westy, the tire shops I took it to refused to mount any tires less than C. It was in fact, illegal for them to do so. Check out how much the Type 2 has grown since the Splitty times.

I happened to be reading the wikipedia entry re the Type 2 today. I have to correct the above claim of equiv. to a 3/4 ton truck.

As it turns out, the 750 kg (3/4 ton) cargo capacity version of the Type 2 ended in 1962, after the 1962 option of a 1000 kg version was released. Nobody wanted the 3/4 ton version anymore. Production of all Type 2's from then on were based the 1000kg (2205 lb) cargo capacity.

So, I learned something today because I was trying to remember back to 1988 when I couldn't afford all 4 tires I was trying to buy at the tire shop. I could only purchase 2 C rated tires at that time, I remember the guy said I had a 1 ton cargo capacity van which was a 1967 full westy so-42 turret, and it was illegal for him to put lower rated tires on. That was in Anchorage AK, so you can guess how much it hurt.

Anyway, Vanagons are not 3/4 ton, but instead 1 ton cargo rated. Hope I didn't mislead anyone. With that in mind, I will be keeping that lesson in mind when I get my next set of rubber. I scaled Flossie at 4100 lb with me in it, otherwise empty and 1/8 tank of gas. Add tools, camp gear, a spare engine and tranny (ok, I only did that twice on trips to AK) and 11 long haired friends of Jesus (JK) You get the picture.

I was wondering exactly what was meant by the "Fully Loaded Vanagon" in the original post. Westy camper? Full tank of gas, water tank full, 4 passengers? Camp equipment.

I looked at the Westy I just bought and the tires areLoad rated 90! And the guy said he took his family of four camping with it. He didn't seem like a "live life dangerously" kind of guy (retired JPL engineer). He even told me when I bought it, "Oh you can get a lot more miles out of these." They are kind of cracking which is what got me on my tire hunt in the first place.

Should I put his Primera 190/70r14 load 90 tires on the recommended tire list?
dgonedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

2003 Eurovan Weekender:
I burned through a set of the Bridgestone Dueller tires in just 18,000 miles. Disappointing, to say the least. I was not interested in dealing with warranty as I did not want to receive another discount set.

I just installed a set of:
Nokian WR C Van
215/65R16C
Paid $130/tire, Discount Tire Store, Littleton, CO. They do not have the tire price in their system, but they are able to order it.

My initial review is that they are very quiet. (Tire Pressures: Front-44, Rear-40) They do not provide as much grip as the Dueller in cornering, but I do not usually drive my EV in sportscar mode (only sometimes). They look stout, and have a good tread pattern to my untrained eye. They give me a sense of confidence that they are going to last, since their weight rating far exceeds the EV's.

I topped it off with a fresh alignment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

A lot of the tires in the size I want to get with the proper load rating are winter tires. What could I expect in tread life with winter tires?
dgonedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Winter tires, if you drive them full time will probably last 24-30,000 miles. I keep a separate set of studded tires, on a separate set of wheels, for Colorado snow days. The studded tires provide incredible traction on ice or snow.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I don't think a blanket statement on winter tire life is accurate, and that's why tire makers don't provide mile warranty on winter tires in general. A guy living in Redondo Beach, CA on snow tires is not going to be happy with tire life on most winter tires.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I ended up going with Yokohama Geolandars 205/70r15 and Gowesty alloys. They are on the "recommended" list although there is a question mark earlier on in Kamz's post. I figure since the previous owner went for trips with a family of four for years on load rated 90 tires, I should be OK on load rated 96 SUV tires.

Man, was that a more complicated task than I anticipated!

Now if I can get it smogged (it didn't pass)....I can start planning our spring break trip to Utah...

Last edited by llilibel03 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71, 27x8.5R14LT.

I couldn't find anything regarding this tire via the search. It falls short of the 1521 by only 1 pound. It is LT rated so no 9% reduction. Same spec's as the General Grabber AT2s that many run on their 14" rims. Directional so not ideal for Syncros. Nice aggressive Pre-Runner tire. Thought I'd share.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...wAod_RgEQA
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

mellowslow wrote:
Ride_On wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Defender LTX tires on a Vanagon or Bus? Relative had LTX's on a Highlander and they were very good and very durable. We currently have quite old Michelin Agilis tires on our bus and Michelin winters on our car so leaning that way - Michelin's always impressed me. Upgrading to 16" wheels, so have to get them shod! Appreciate the reference for the Nokian Entyres too.

I have had a set of 205 15 65 Michellin Defender LTX on my '87 Westy Weekender for about 12,000 miles.

My tires were mounted up last spring and I've been very happy with all aspects of this tire's performance. I did mad research last winter as this line of tires was kind of new. I am starting to see these tires on many different pickups, SUV, and jeep type vehicles in the last year.

The biggest surprise for me has been this tire's snow ability. It looks like a snow tire. Nice to not be stuck in my own driveway in a little snow storm.

Not loud on the road but if I listen for these tires, I can hear them.

Spun these tires once in an off road, wet, muddy grass leaving a reggae festival situation, but no difficulty getting where I needed to go.

Have powered through some deeper beach sand (that washed onto the road and dried excellent testing ground Laughing )

These are great tires to enhance the capabilities of the van without the compromising effects of a softer or deeper more aggressive lugged tire.
Sturdy enough weight rating and lacking the harsh ride of delivery van spec tires.

No noticeable wear in 12,000 miles (van got alignment, rotation twice during that time).

Thanks for this update! I have had a set of the BFG 215/75/15's on my '84 Westy for around 650 miles now. Although I love the way they look, it's taken just a bit too much power away from my van at 5000' above sea level. Looking at the Defender LTX in 205/65/15 as a suitable replacement. Now if I could just talk the shop into giving me a decent trade in value for them!
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dgonedge wrote:
2003 Eurovan Weekender:
I burned through a set of the Bridgestone Dueller tires in just 18,000 miles. Disappointing, to say the least. I was not interested in dealing with warranty as I did not want to receive another discount set.

I just installed a set of:
Nokian WR C Van
215/65R16C
Paid $130/tire, Discount Tire Store, Littleton, CO. They do not have the tire price in their system, but they are able to order it.

My initial review is that they are very quiet. (Tire Pressures: Front-44, Rear-40) They do not provide as much grip as the Dueller in cornering, but I do not usually drive my EV in sportscar mode (only sometimes). They look stout, and have a good tread pattern to my untrained eye. They give me a sense of confidence that they are going to last, since their weight rating far exceeds the EV's.

I topped it off with a fresh alignment.
[pics]

I'm running the same tire on a '90 Westy, and I love them. Super stout tire....they do ride pretty rigid, but I'm fine with it. They also seem to be wearing very well. I have my spare on a rear swing-out, and do the 5-tire rotation.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Finally have a chance to reply...

andrew163980 wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
andrew163980 wrote:
I want these

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

If you are set on Michelin Defender, this is the better, more appropriate version: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes . Wink

The LTX was much better and more grippy?

I, personally, did not get the Defender LTX, but plenty of vans are sporting them. I went with the Conti Vanco 4 and it has performed splendidly. Cool

soissisc wrote:
Quote:
it is within the 5% change in revolutions per mile he recommends

It is "She", I believe, from my rabbit convertible days...

raoul mitgong wrote:
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71, 27x8.5R14LT.

Still sold by retailers, however, discontinued in that size by Kumho. Confused

Most importantly, the first post has finally been updated. Even more importantly, you'll see that the first post is no longer as lengthy as it was. All of the detailed information and some additional info, has been moved into a PDF, which allows for better organization, easier to read, and simpler to update. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

We are lucky to have you Kamz.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 57

Jump to: