Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

the Utahn wrote:
davevickery wrote:
OK. The manufacturer gets to set it's own min/max, so they are just being more conservative than most other brands that allow up to a 7" rim. The hunt continues I guess.

It's the only tire of that size that I have found that will not spec a 7" rim - very strange. Half of me wants to just order and run it - I'm pretty sure I'll never have a problem. But I don't like cheaping out on tires, and I haul my family around in this...

If they say that and you go ahead and purchase you would probably be fine, but it will for sure void any warranty.

I was in your area for Spring Break- Capitol Reef. So beautiful and not so crowded. Do you think am 85 Westy with no lift kit would make it out to Cathedral Valley? We definitely want to return.

Last edited by llilibel03 on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rhbooz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

My 1991 Vanagon Camper GL has one of the last sets of 205s that were sold here in the US. I want to keep the look of the original aluminum wheels. Will the 195s work or do I need to go the whole new wheel/new tire size route? I bought the car new and am a bit of a purist so just making the change from 205s is traumatic.
THANKS (especially if this is a stupid question).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

rhbooz wrote:
My 1991 Vanagon Camper GL has one of the last sets of 205s that were sold here in the US. I want to keep the look of the original aluminum wheels. Will the 195s work or do I need to go the whole new wheel/new tire size route? I bought the car new and am a bit of a purist so just making the change from 205s is traumatic.
THANKS (especially if this is a stupid question).

I posted these tires below that have all the specs and stiff sidewalls which is super rare in a 205/70-14 size. And a nice semi-aggressive all season tread and C load 100 rating. But you can still find 195R14 sizes which are very similar in size and specs (slightly taller and narrower).

Tires are not guaranteed forever, they usually say 7 years, but anything over 10 years old may be pushing your luck, moreso in hot climates. The date code will be on the side of your tire like 3609 is 36 week of 2009.

DaveVickery wrote:

For 14" tires, this one looks perfect. Nexan Roadian AT 205/70-14 C Load 100 rating and only $48.
https://simpletire.com/nexen-205-70r14c-10849nxk-t...wAodBnIMww

Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
the Utahn wrote:
davevickery wrote:
OK. The manufacturer gets to set it's own min/max, so they are just being more conservative than most other brands that allow up to a 7" rim. The hunt continues I guess.

It's the only tire of that size that I have found that will not spec a 7" rim - very strange. Half of me wants to just order and run it - I'm pretty sure I'll never have a problem. But I don't like cheaping out on tires, and I haul my family around in this...

If they say that and you go ahead and purchase you would probably be fine be it will for sure void any warranty.

I was in your area for Spring Break- Capitol Reef. So beautiful and not so crowded. Do you think am 85 Westy with no lift kit would make it out to Cathedral Valley? We definitely want to return.

I keep thinking it would be fine - with that size of tire and tread width vs the rim. The fact that they don't approve may have something to do with the construction of the tire, or it may have more to do with the common sized rims in Europe.

Sending you a PM.
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

One of many many hits about tire width vs rim width..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

For 14" tires, this one looks perfect. Nexan Roadian AT 205/70-14 C Load 100 rating and only $48.
https://simpletire.com/nexen-205-70r14c-10849nxk-t...wAodBnIMww

Huh. Wish I had seen this ten minutes ago. Les Schwab will do a set of 4 Hankook RA18s for $560, all in ($104/each, plus installation/mounting/etc.). I'll call tomorrow and see if they can order these. All their online options are way too puny, loadwise (even they are suggested for the Vanagon camper).

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just used Google search to find low price on Vredestein 195/65/r16 (C rated) and this site popped up with them... simpletire.com, like $115 +11/tire to ship. Looking down at the bottom of their web site, I noticed they have a section that has comparable tires... I don't know about anyone else, but doesn't $35/tire sound too good to be true? (add shipping tho)

https://simpletire.com/zeetex-195-65r16-z32174-tires
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Looks like there is an interesting tyre over in the UK, a winter version by Pirelli called Carrier Winter tm. No idea on price, but they have as close to a stock diameter as I've seen. I might be off on my math tho.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/products-sheet/carrier-winter#/overview

Look under the Size Range under 16", you'll see 195/60R16 99T

Way way off for me, both in terms of that I can't purchase them locally, and that, in general Pirelli are already way out of my price range.

They are super sweet looking tho.

The Summer version look OK too, just called Carrier tm.

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/products-sheet/carrier#/size-range

195/60R16C 99H

I calculate these at a diameter of 25.2 inches. I think most sources quote a 25.3" stock diameter. Some quote 25.5"
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

How about these Pirelli's? Scorpion ATR 96T 205/70 r15, all terrain, and not terribly expensive. I'm assuming the "T" is for truck as in the listing they say light truck tire. Without the 9% derating it should be OK.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...TR5SCORATR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

While the information may be somewhere in this topic, I couldn't find it...

- I've got an 87 Weekender with a 2.1WBX.
- Have a set of CLK 7.5x16 rims to put on maybe by the end of this year.
- Live in Florida so I need good dry and great wet performance.
- Mostly paved driving although may go dirt/gravel roads at campgrounds.
- I like the aggressive look of A/T tires but realize they are probably overkill.
- I will be getting GW No Lift progressive springs as part of the upgrade (which I believe will give added clearance since I'm not a camper).

I'm interested in either the:
Grabber AT2 in 215/65r16
or the
Nokian eNTYRE (or 2.0) in 225/60r16

Spacers probably needed for both choices I would think.

Anyone have any experience with either tire in this size and my van setup?

Thanks,
Mark
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
How about these Pirelli's? Scorpion ATR 96T 205/70 r15, all terrain, and not terribly expensive. I'm assuming the "T" is for truck as in the listing they say light truck tire. Without the 9% derating it should be OK.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...TR5SCORATR

The T in 96T is the speed rating. The 205/70R15 is an SL, or standard load, which means reducing 9%, according to the rules*. The LT235/75R15 on the other hand, is a designated light truck tire size, which does not need to be reduced.

*Which should be changed, IMO for tires built specifically for trucks and SUVs.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

So I ordered GW 16" rims which are due any day now.

I had an Amazon Gift Card and free shipping so I'm leaning towards these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0100OCAW6/ref=o...PDKIKX0DER

Nokian eNTYRE All-Season Radial Tire - 215/60R16 99V

A reviewer on Amazon used them on his/her Vanagon and seems to like them. However, I did not see these specific tires listed here: http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf

Thoughts or suggestions? I won't be using in snow.

Thanks.
Al

Ever consider temporarily trading your van? Join the list.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I also read this topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Now, I'm just more confused about load rating.. Confused

HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

https://www.vanagain.com/shop/nokian-entyre-season-radial-tire-21560r16-99v/ (same as the tires I'm considering in the link above).

Is there any reason these tires wouldn't work with GW's 2wd 16" wheels?

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

HackAl wrote:
https://www.vanagain.com/shop/nokian-entyre-season-radial-tire-21560r16-99v/ (same as the tires I'm considering in the link above).

Is there any reason these tires wouldn't work with GW's 2wd 16" wheels?

I think they would be fine. A commercial tire with a c or d load would be more stable in crosswinds and are tougher offroad but they cost twice as much. I had a similar Nokian tire, made by Cooper in Ohio, and they are very good and the price is good. The load rating is fine at 99. You door sticker shows a smaller 97 rated tire so these are totally fine.

The.GW 16 wheels are wide so a 215 tire is probably a good match and that tire isn't too tall. As you can see there aren't that many choices when you actually start to look.
HackAl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Great. I just ordered them.

I had learned that they'd work with 16" rims anywhere between 6-7.5.

Dave,- you've been a big help to me since I'm joined. I'm very grateful.

(And yes, lack of choices surprised me a little.)

Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Good morning.
Even though I have BFG TA/KO's in 195/75R14, I can't seem to get 195R14s out of my mind as my engine seems up to the task and I'd like to reduce RPMs ever so slightly.
I happened upon this list of commercial tires on tires-easy.com and thought I'd share it with you all:
https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/195-Blank-14?filtering=,price,categoryPath,Commercial
Two of the eight listed tires are already on Kam's wonderful pdf, and many are twins in terms of tread. All of the listed commercial tires are stated to be 106/104 load index.
I was surprised to see so many 14 inch options.
Have a good one,
James
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Mark Lewalski -
I dont have the same van or setup as you (I have a westy with 17" rims) but I did install the Nokian Entyres 2.0.

I have no qualms with the Nokian 2.0's, they are my "non winter" tires and I have put 3-5k mi on them.

But to be honest, I feel like they are a set of tires. My comparison point was the original 14"rims w/ Blizzaks installed. Which I also felt were fine tires.

So probably not a lot of help but if I were to do it again would I get the Nokain eNyre 2.0's? Yeah. Nokians are reputable, the load rating is great, and they fit my 17" rims (the 17" rim w/ proper load rating is the limiting factor for tires for me....for i have the stock WBX so i dont want to change wheel diameter).

Hope it helps
Mark Lewalski wrote:
While the information may be somewhere in this topic, I couldn't find it...

I'm interested in either the:
Grabber AT2 in 215/65r16
or the
Nokian eNTYRE (or 2.0) in 225/60r16

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I found cheap 8 ply D load range 14" tires that would fit the early Vanagon.
TDCTDI wrote:

https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ
It appears that the R101 has several manufacturer names, Thunderer, Cordovan, Eldorado, Sigma, Power Master, Telstar, & Vanderbuilt.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
project68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Tracked down some BFG KO2's in a 215/65/16. Was a bit of a chore to find a set through one supplier for ease warranty. But I've got them on the Doka and they look good, might have been able to fit something a little bigger but not sure.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 57

Jump to: