Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Heads up for those running a 15" wheel, just scored 5 of these
from Walmart load range rated at 100 which is perfect for the westy.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokian-eNTYRE-205-70-R-15-100-T-XL-Tires/50295864

If you don't have a wally world nearby then Amazon has them too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0100O8YIA/ref=o...PDKIKX0DER

They have been in a price war with each since $60, I've yet to pickup my tires from Walmart yet and already got 2 price adjustments from the $53.60 I originally paid for them. I opted for Wally since they charge $12 per tire to mount with new valve stems and lifetime balance and rotate. Should be just a tad over $300 mounted and balanced out the door for 5

Lowest price ever for this tire according to camel camel camel dot com
https://camelcamelcamel.com/Nokian-eNTYRE-All-Season-Radial-Tire/product/B0100O8YIA
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Picked them up today and had them mounted and balanced, gotta love wally world, $45 plus tax for 5 mounted and balanced!

Tires made in Russia. They look good, nice stiff sidewalls date code puts them at just 3 months from manufacture.

Can't wait to get these on the van and see how they run.

These are now down to $46.91, an all time camelcamelcamel low on Amazon and if you pick up at Wally you get the same price PLUS cheap mount and balance with new stems.

My total all said and done for 5 came out to 304.47, a pretty good deal in my book!

Will try to post some picks of them on the benz rims this weekend
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The low price Amazon option appears to be smoke at this time.
I put it in my cart. Then when I tried to increase the number from 1 to 4 it said: "This seller has a limit of 1 per customer".

thanks Amazon
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The low price Amazon option appears to be smoke at this time.
I put it in my cart. Then when I tried to increase the number from 1 to 4 it said: "This seller has a limit of 1 per customer".

thanks Amazon

Odd that the price algo's at Walmart are still matching it, usually they catch that.

I've been tracking this tire since May 2016 when it previously dropped to $50 and kicked myself for not grabbing them then.
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Nice color on that girl of yours (!). So I will soon report on the Vredestein Comtrac All Season. They're 195R14 and rated a whopping 2000lbs with a modern silica rubber, nice slightly open tread, snow rating and heavy duty sidewalls for bashing curbs all day in their designed intent for commercial delivery vans in Europe. I hope to use those tough sidewalls to lower pressure and bash roots and rocks in some rough trail use.

They are mounted on freshly painted rims with new caps - taunting me daily to get the rest of the Van finished.

Doug

Doug - any update on the Vredesteins?
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

OK. I know it's not a vanagon but a vanagon owner found this ad in a 1967 Surfer Magazine.

Check out those tires! And plenty of ground clearance.

Before there were BFGs there were Uniroyals. Before there were Vans there were Keds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Now down to 41.84 with in store pickup, 3rd price reduction I've got since paying nearly $52 each, at this rate it might be wise to get another set!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

What wheels can I get to put these on a Vanagon?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
What wheels can I get to put these on a Vanagon?
Al

Made a cheat sheet posted here, your best bet is merc 320 rims, I got 6.5x15 ET 37

Use a 37/64 bit to punch out the lug holes, you'll need longer studs although some have gotten away with the rears but you'll need longer ones up front. I was pulling the whole nine yards with a complete suspension rebuild so I pressed in new longer rears.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=2680
Wangta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Does anyone really use 17" wheels given there is such limited tire selection for that size wheel (only one on the list - nokians!)?
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wangta wrote:
Does anyone really use 17" wheels given there is such limited tire selection for that size wheel (only one on the list - nokians!)?

Not sure who would want a 17" rim with all the problems of running them. I was more concerned about availability with a 14" tire with a load rating of at least 98 or better when traveling.

15" with a 205/70 and a rating of 100, 1764lbs, for under $50 seemed like the way to go for a loaded westy, plus a bonus of a full size spare fitting in the stock location was just a bonus too.

Nokians are Russian made tires but people have been buying Asian tires for years, ratings from simpletire and others say they're happy with them and they wear like iron.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I just wanted to comment on the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 tires discussed recently on this page. I just bought a set of five from WalMart and had them installed.

Background: my first Vanagon tires were Nokian C-Line Van tires, 205/70/15. 106 load rating. Good tires, but costly. I mostly drive highway, but find myself on Forest Service roads about ten times a year. I also have beehives in a rural area where the roads are crushed limestone.

The C-Line tires were very stable but also very loud on the road and very firm on bad roads, almost too harsh. I would have to replace about one tire per year due to road damage, and I had two of them separate on me recently. Perhaps I had them overinflated.

I've got the eNTYRE 205/70/15 on my van now and they are noticeably quieter, and less harsh. So far I'm very happy. If I have to replace tires with the same frequency, I'm fine with that now--these tires are 1/3 the cost of the C-Line Van tires.

kourt
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I just wanted to comment on the Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 tires discussed recently on this page. I just bought a set of five from WalMart and had them installed.

Background: my first Vanagon tires were Nokian C-Line Van tires, 205/70/15. 106 load rating. Good tires, but costly. I mostly drive highway, but find myself on Forest Service roads about ten times a year. I also have beehives in a rural area where the roads are crushed limestone.

The C-Line tires were very stable but also very loud on the road and very firm on bad roads, almost too harsh. I would have to replace about one tire per year due to road damage, and I had two of them separate on me recently. Perhaps I had them overinflated.

I've got the eNTYRE 205/70/15 on my van now and they are noticeably quieter, and less harsh. So far I'm very happy. If I have to replace tires with the same frequency, I'm fine with that now--these tires are 1/3 the cost of the C-Line Van tires.

kourt

So cheap, maybe a person should buy 6!! Years ago, I was associated with dirt track racing. The very best part of a tire is the first half. If you had 6, and rotated them, you would be driving on new tires longer. I just don't drive enough miles to wear them out. I had 2 sets of Michelin Agillis and they are now 12 years old and failing from old age.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I run 17" rims on my westy. The reason? Because I was able to buy a set of 4 for $200.00. Here is my van:

I am running Nokian eNTYRE 2.0's, but I think the load range is 98XL (would have liked higher, but it works)
Wangta wrote:

UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Two quick questions:
anyone have the link to the tire size/gearing speadsheet? I lost my copy of it, and am looking to get larger diameter tires for my 91 Syncro.

Next: 205 vs 215 vs 225?

Will the 225 fit in the stock spare tire carrier? Will the others?
The Cape Cod beaches require a minimum width of 225 for the 15" rims I have.
Thanks
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wanted to post my experience with the Nokian WRG3 tire after almost 6 months of use.
Size 205/65r15 99XL on Passat steel rims
85 Westy Wolfsburg camper

These replaced a set of Nokian WRC tires in the same size but LR 102.

Pros: much more supple ride, especially on poor road surfaces.
Good cornering grip and braking
Thus far very good wear
Made in Finland, per sidewall markings
Quiet ride
Cost is 2/3 of my previous tires ($97 each online)

Cons: more susceptible to crosswinds and buffeting due to softer sidewalls
Borderline load range at passenger 99 XL, but I rarely travel that heavily loaded now that kids no longer camp with us (college!).

So far I am very pleased with these tires. We'll see how they handle snow this winter and long term wear. The WRCs lasted a long time before wearing out. They were my previous favorite Vanagon tire but out of production.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

warezdog wrote:
Wangta wrote:

Not sure who would want a 17" rim with all the problems of running them.

What do you mean by this statement? Lots of Vanagon owners run them. They handed much better in cross winds, for an example, than a 14"-15" rim with bigger sidewalls.

wyldryce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

My Kumho Solus TA71's have been flawless for me in 17" on Benz C class wheels for this last year.

warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Price war on the nokian just heated up again, $37.13 each at wally world with pickup discount!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokian-eNTYRE-205-70-R-15-100-T-XL-Tires/50295864

Amazon will probably fire back within the hour to beat or match
https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-eNTYRE-All-Season-Ra...img][/img]

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

nope wallyworld jacked the price back to $62 with a $1.10 pick up discount.

they move as much as the stock market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 57

Jump to: