Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

For those of you who have bought tires online, or in any case, separately from where you get them mounted:

What should I expect to pay for pulling 4 wheels & tires (keep them mounted, going to a new owner), and then mounting/balancing 4 new tires on a second set of wheels? The quote I have from local tire seller for buying 4 tires and mounting them is broken down into tires ($94x4 for Nokian Entyres), balance ($80 for 4), and disposal/recycle fee ($20 total).

I would assume that if I bring tires purchased somewhere else, they would want to charge me something more than just cost of balancing.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:
What should I expect to pay for pulling 4 wheels & tires (keep them mounted, going to a new owner), and then mounting/balancing 4 new tires on a second set of wheels? The quote I have from local tire seller for buying 4 tires and mounting them is broken down into tires ($94x4 for Nokian Entyres), balance ($80 for 4), and disposal/recycle fee ($20 total).

I would assume that if I bring tires purchased somewhere else, they would want to charge me something more than just cost of balancing.

I usually get my tires at Discount Tire but I have brought some in to them to mount and it is the same price. I think $75/4 for mount and balance with new valve stems. Walmart is a few bucks less but terrible waiting lines usually. There should be no recycle fee if you are keeping your old tires and there is no charge for just taking off the wheels/tires you are keeping. The nice thing about discount tire around here is their customer service and they will rebalance or fix a flat for free unless the tire is ruined. I usually don't get the road hazzard to cover that and just take my chances.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

X2 on all that, plus I have my tires shipped to the discount tire store I'm using at no extra charge.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

OK, next question:

I'm changing from 15" to 16" wheels. I have 205/65/R15 tires now and have been perfectly happy with them. Most everyone seems to run 215 or up, but I don't know why. I'm also thinking of going to a 60 aspect ratio instead of 65, to keep the diameter about the same.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with 205/60/R16 tires?

Or to put it another way, is 215 better than 205 for some reason? And is there any downside to going with 60 instead of 65?

Thanks.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

206/65/15 is stock diameter of 25.5" but it is over stock width at 8.1"
205/60/16 would be closest to what you have at 25.7"X8.1"

Back to stock on a 16 would be 185/65 but they don't seem to exist...

Remember.. "C" or "D" load range, no less.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Size and load rating come into play too. The interior volume of a tire determines the load carrying capacity. So the smaller the tire and the bigger the rim, the less air space. A 205/60-16 only carries a load range of 92 in a standard load tire. In an XL tire, that size is still only a 96 load range. So ideally you would be looking for the specialty tires if you want that size, like a commercial tire or a C or D load like Nokians and Vredsteins or other lesser known brands. I'm not sure who much selection there is. You might be fine with a 96 XL but the tire sticker calls for 97 or higher.

When you go to 215/60 (or 205/65) the standard load is still too low at 95 but the XL in that size are 99. So you could get an XL, or specialty tire in either of those sizes. I think the 215/60 has more choices, but it just depends what you find that you like.

205/65 is is slightly taller at 26.5" vs. 26.1 for the 215/60
The stock size is more like 25.5 and your tire now is 25.4.
205/60-16 is also the same as what you have now if you happen to find a specialty C/D load that you like.

I don't think there are any fitment issues with the 215 width on any wheels the vendors sell. If you have a low van, the 205/65 could rub the front fender on deep compression or speed bumps.

I usually google a size I am interested to see who makes what.
Like "205/65r16 XL" or 215/65r16 XL or "205/60r16 C load"
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Dave. I'll go with the 215/60/R16 due to the load rating issue. I had hoped to stick with 205 for optimum mpg and easy fitment. I had also hoped to stay near the diameter/circumference I have now, but I'm pretty confident my 1.8T can handle the additional 2.7% (even with my 3.08 R&P).
68kmgvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just found out my 15” SA wheels will not work with the 1st gen GW big brake kit that came with my 87 Syncro Westy after just putting on the brakes. Kind of a bummer because I just put on new General Grabber 2 tires, but I’ll be selling those. Managed to find a clean set of 16” CLKs on EB though so it’s all good.
Wanted to know what size AT tires people may be running on these rims? I have Syncro.org springs and Old Man Emus.
Thanks!
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

68kmgvert wrote:

Wanted to know what size AT tires people may be running on these rims? I have Syncro.org springs and Old Man Emus.
Thanks!

I have 215/70/16’s on my CLK wheels on my Syncro. Not too tall, no clearance issues.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

68kmgvert wrote:
t I’ll be selling those.

I stared at your ad for half an hour last week and came dangerously close to contacting you about them.

However, I am leaning towards Cooper Discoverer 225/70/15's on 15" Mefros for my Syncro.

While there's a lot of feedback on the Coopers worldwide, there is very little here on the Samba. Does anybody have an opinion either way? They're relatively inexpensive and get good reviews all over the place.

Thanks!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

While there's a lot of feedback on the Coopers worldwide, there is very little here on the Samba. Does anybody have an opinion either way? They're relatively inexpensive and get good reviews all over the place.

Thanks!

Hey I have a set of these, 225/70/15's, been running them for a week and a half and have already seen interstate driving in 50 mph head/side winds, five inches of fresh snow, ice, slush, and snow-covered ice. (It's been a crazy week on the Front Range.)

I'm happy to report that they are grippy, comfortable, and quiet so far in all conditions. The 225's fill in the wheel wells nicely.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll update with an off road report later in the year.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
...Cooper Discoverer[s]... Does anybody have an opinion...?
...relatively inexpensive and get good reviews all over the place...

Likewise...looking for more Samba feedback but precious little comes up on a search... Rolling Eyes

Lacking the availability of the Vredestein Comtracs for my 14" steelies, ( Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad )
I'm seriously considering the Cooper Discoverer 225/70r14 because:

- M+S "all-weather" label for better mud/wet grass traction than the all-season options...
- higher (99) load rating than available all-terrain options, which seem to max out at 95...
- want something a bit less bone-jarring than my old Hancook RA08's @106 load rating...
- don't have a full Westy & don't carry every last piece of gear, so rarely close to GVWR...

Any downside to running these 225's compared to my current 195's? They seem to be
within 1/10" of the same diameter; tread life seems reasonable for an all-weather tire
(especially considering I usually only run the van about 5-7k miles annually)...

Noise? Yes/no? Anything? Anything at all...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Bump? Somebody start a little chatter here...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
68kmgvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I ended up going with the General Grabber A/T 2s in 215/65/16 on my “new” CLK rims on my Syncro. I had 225/15 on my steel wheels but it seemed they were going to rub in that width on the 16s. Really love the Grabbers so far on dry and snowy roads. Haven’t had them off road but the aggressive tread seems like a winner. At $102 each from Discount Tires seems like a good deal to me.
2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
2015 Golf TDI
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
joetiger wrote:
...Cooper Discoverer[s]... Does anybody have an opinion...?
...relatively inexpensive and get good reviews all over the place...

Likewise...looking for more Samba feedback but precious little comes up on a search... Rolling Eyes

Lacking the availability of the Vredestein Comtracs for my 14" steelies, ( Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad )
I'm seriously considering the Cooper Discoverer 225/70r14 because:

- M+S "all-weather" label for better mud/wet grass traction than the all-season options...
- higher (99) load rating than available all-terrain options, which seem to max out at 95...
- want something a bit less bone-jarring than my old Hancook RA08's @106 load rating...
- don't have a full Westy & don't carry every last piece of gear, so rarely close to GVWR...

Any downside to running these 225's compared to my current 195's? They seem to be
within 1/10" of the same diameter; tread life seems reasonable for an all-weather tire
(especially considering I usually only run the van about 5-7k miles annually)...

Noise? Yes/no? Anything? Anything at all...???

- Dave

So far, so good on my Syncro. Definitely softer than the Yoko's they replaced (also probably due to smaller rim, more sidewall.)

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

getting ready for 2018..
$68ea delivered price Nokian Entyres in a 205/65/15 XL (LoadRating=99)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-Nokian-eNTYRE-205-65R15XL-99H-BSW/222107761371?epid=2012768925
$75ea deliverd Nokian Entyres in a 205/70/15 XL (LoadRating=100)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-205-70R15-Nokian-Entyre-Tire-2057015/181951348909
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
getting ready for 2018..
$68ea delivered price Nokian Entyres in a 205/65/15 XL (LoadRating=99)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-Nokian-eNTYRE-205-65R15XL-99H-BSW/222107761371?epid=2012768925
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-205-70R15-Nokian-Entyre-Tire-2057015/181951348909

You should maybe check the date code on those tires, Dan, as that model's been superceded by the Entyre 2.0.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nice tires and you can find them for less. I'm pretty happy with mine after a few years.
Here set of 4 for $60 each, shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Nokian-Entyre-205-7...mp;vxp=mtr

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Nice tires and you can find them for less. I'm pretty happy with mine after a few years.
Here set of 4 for $60 each, shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Nokian-Entyre-205-7...mp;vxp=mtr

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:

What size are you running, Mark?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nokian Entyres in a 205/70/15 XL (LoadRating=100)

If you are looking in that size, nice quiet street tire, 700 wear rating, 51 psi
I consider them a good value for the money, 2wd use.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 57

Jump to: