Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Yes, a Load C in that size has always been LI 93 and 50 psi, at least the many brands and sets I've seen and used.
Michelin LTX came in that size for years, my favorite 14". Used to be common on Syncros and other Vanagons.
This was a bone of contention back when the Roadhaus tire guidelines were being developed. It is mostly moot now, since that LT size has all but disappeared and the Koolaid purveyors prevailed.

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
New Tire LT 195 75 14 All Terrain 6 Ply AT LT195/75R14 Load Range C

*edit, this website lists them as a 90/93 load range tire.. still a 6 ply, but I'm curious why a 6 ply would be a 90/93 LR.......
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

OK, yeah I had a set of Michelin LTX tires, loved them but Michelin's get hard and slippery as they aged..

I like the size & tread of these 195-75-14s... and the price..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Another cautionary tale regarding tire age.

I I have really liked my Nokian Entyres - they handle and wear well. Mine have 34000 miles on them and they still have decent tread left. Nevertheless, I'm changing them out because of age.

My 215/60-R16 Nokian Entyres are 6 years old (2012). I noticed that I started to get a pull to the right and took my Westy in to have the alignment checked. Turned out that my right front tire was cupped and starting to show signs of tread separation. They swapped on the spare while I figured things out (they didn't sell a tire with the proper load rating).

This was the bad tire:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although I'm bothered by the cupping, I have had a very good experience with the tires for 5 years, so I'm going with the Entyre 2 (newer model) in the same size, same rating - 99H XL, and slightly improved treadwear rating - 720AA.

Discount Tire is matching Simple Tires price (less than $400 for a set of 4 out the door), so I'll be able to simplify installation and future maintenance or warranty issues.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

^^^ Wise. Those tires were talking & you were listening...good work.

Keep us posted on the new 2's...

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Am going to need tires this Fall and am trying to choose between BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s and Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015.

Both would be the 215/65R16 size. I have the GoWesty (aka Mercedes style) rim.

These tires have modestly different purpose. The yokohamas are more aggressive street tire and the BFGs are more streetable offroad tire.

I like the look of both. For the most part I drive on the street (1984 Westy w/ ej25 and Peloquin, lifted, etc.) but want safe rain tires and if I hit snow would be nice to have something capable.

I lean toward the BFGs but am concerned on durability.

Can anyone provide real-world experience on life of these tires on a vanagon? The feedback on the big websites are helpful but not the exact use case.

All input appreciated!

Jason
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The Geolander is a weakish tire that looks toughish. Only 98 SL rated.

The BFG is a tough tire that looks tough. LT 103 rated.

For street use in that size I'd consider Nokian in XL 102.

For example:: https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-eNTYRE-All-Season-Ra...15%2F65R16

Mark
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

well said.
I had the bfg ko2 on a jeep xj and a 2016 jku rubicon. I got the 215/65/16 ko2 on my syncro right now. It is too aggressive for what I plan on doing with the syncro. I had faster wear on the JKU than I did on the XJ.

I would sell my current tires and get
a set of nokians. Not the entyres but maybe the wrc3
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-c3/

I could find someone interested near me.
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

Ok cool, thanks - wasn't considering the Nokian so will take a look.

Agreed on the geolandar - more of a street tire that looks tough. 98% of my traveling is on the road but last time I hit snow in Sante Fe NM I was not pleased with my crappy all seasons rated tires and swore I'd get something more serious..

Jason
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've had two sets of Geolandars (215/70/15) on my 2wd van and they've been through Moab, Baja, Canadian Rockies, etc. without issue. Tough enough for me, but most certainly not as tough as BFG's.

I'd be more concerned with the GoWesty/ASA rims. There have been several reports of cracking in the rear bolt area.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Argos33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hey All,
I'm having a hard time replacing some 15" tires on my 86 weekender. I've had the nokian WR G2s (215/65 R15) for years and have been really happy with them, but can't seem to find the WR G2s or WR G3s in this size. Reading this thread I'd really like to try the eNTYRE 2.0 tires, but it appears they don't make them in the 215 size? I could go to 205/65 R15 but then the load rating drops to 99H.

Are the cLine tires pretty comparable to the eNTYRE series? This is another option:

https://www.amazon.com/Nokian-cLine-All-Season-Rad...+215+65+15

What do you think? Any other ideas for good all season tires on 15" mercedes style rims? Would the 205 size fit on the wheel if it's currently 215? That would give me more options. Most of our driving is on pavement and dirt roads.

Last edited by Argos33 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

In the size and load rating you are looking for.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-c3/
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'd go (well I am) with a 205/70/15 XL eNTYRE
a little more side wall and similiar diameter to the 215/65/15.

the eNTYRE in a 99 or 100 is just fine unless you are a mega loaded van.

currently $63ea shipped
Nokian eNTYRE 205/70R15XL 100T BSW
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokian-eNTYRE-205-70R15XL-100T-BSW-1-Tires/222107584756
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Argos33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks, appreciate the help! Went with the 205/70 R15 eNTYRE. Seem to be great value for that price!
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

jasonpap2002 wrote:
Hi folks,

Am going to need tires this Fall and am trying to choose between BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s and Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015.

Both would be the 215/65R16 size. I have the GoWesty (aka Mercedes style) rim.

These tires have modestly different purpose. The yokohamas are more aggressive street tire and the BFGs are more streetable offroad tire.

I like the look of both. For the most part I drive on the street (1984 Westy w/ ej25 and Peloquin, lifted, etc.) but want safe rain tires and if I hit snow would be nice to have something capable.

I lean toward the BFGs but am concerned on durability.

Can anyone provide real-world experience on life of these tires on a vanagon? The feedback on the big websites are helpful but not the exact use case.

All input appreciated!

Jason

Any thoughts on moving down some width to a 205/65R16 tire?

I have the GoWesty rims that are 16x7.5" (http://www.gowesty.com/product/2wd-packages/3606/16-alloy-wheel-tire-package-w-michelin-defenders-)

I have scoured the tires and wheels permanent links but don't see many that put 205s on these rims.

Am not against 215s but lower rolling resistance is a good thing, and perhaps better handling too.

Still working on which brand to go with, exploring Nokian right now.

Thanks folks -

Jason
Argos33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hey Jason,
I just ordered the tires dan recommended (eNTYRE 205/70/R15) and saw that they shipped from tires-easy.com. Looking on the site they have a ton of nokian tires at good prices:

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/nokian-tires/215-65-16

Including the new eNTYRE 2.0 and WRG3 tires which seem like excellent choices. As far as the 205 fitting on that rim, I would call discount tire or a few places and ask them about it before buying.

Another thing I found helpful recently were some of these tire calculators:

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator

Which can be useful for figuring out how close you are to the stock 26" tire size with various combinations.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

anyone looking for a set of 15in winter tires?
found this great price. $251/4 shipped.. with a bonus $50 visa gift card rebate

limited qty, but likely last years stock making way for this years inventory.
post here if you go thru with buying them out.

4 New 215/70R15XL 103T General Altimax Arctic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-215-70R15XL-103T-Ge...SwtcZbj-Hk

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

here's some 205/70/15 Nokian winter tires at a great price
with a Load rating of 100
US $63.64 Free shipping.. 6 left
New Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 Suv - 205/70r15 Tires 70r 15

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-New-Nokian-Hakkapeliitt...3395638078

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I don't recognize these brands.. and one looks like a trailer tire to me.

Federal MS357 LT205/65R15 102/100T Load C 6 Ply AS All Season A/S Tire
US $63.99 free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Federal-MS357-LT205-65R15...2742080655

I'd expect these to leave me stuck on a wet/muddy shoulder.
but maybe good highway MPGs.

Winrun R350 LT195/70R15 104/102R C 6 Ply Light Truck Tire
US $68.99 free shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winrun-R350-LT195-70R15-104-102R-C-6-Ply-Light-Truck-Tire/352406376238

flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I don't know whether this is truly a new entry to the van market or I just missed it before and the "new" label is just for a new size, but a Firestone Winterforce CV is now available as a Load Range D in 195/75/16.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...mpare1=yes

Last edited by flomulgator on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Following up on my own post, I've done some research and this Winterforce Commercial Vehicle (CV) does appear to be a totally new product to market. It has an entirely different design than the ho-hum passanger Firestone Winterforce, and is one of exceptionally few snow tires with Load Range D or equivalent in van sizes.
Literally no one out in magazine land has reviewed this yet, AFAICT. It will be interesting to learn more about this option once people start using it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 57

Jump to: