Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Follow up on Nitto tires. I am still impressed with the performance of these tires. However, it is clear to me that the 215/70R16 are a little too large for stock springs. I ordered the 1.5" lift springs from GoWesty and expect they will keep the tires from rubbing the top of the wheel well when I go over a speed bump.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Paging @IdahoDoug
Your attention is needed on Sticky 1

So while I was looking for something else I ran into what must be some NOS of Vredestien Comtrac pizza cutters. 185/75-16. Rare size that works out to 27" diameter, going to need a 16x6.5" or maybe even 16x6.0" wheel to run these. Dirt cheap too!
https://www.vulcantire.com/tire_detail/comtrac_s.htm_21010?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

a couple 27x8.5 14 options some might not be aware of
about $100ea shipped.

27X8.50R14 LRD 8 Ply Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-27X8-50R14-LRD-8-Pl...2479532127

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kenda Klever AT KR28 27 850 14 8.50 R14 (6ply)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-27x8-50R14-Kenda-Kl...2052918680

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wonder why they are called 27 when the specs in the listing say daimter 25" and 26.5" respectively?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

likely a listing data entry error (ie the person listing the ebay ads doesn't know the specs)

but that tire on Tire-easy and simple tire have no specs listed either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've had my eye on these Nokian WR C3 tires for a while, but just noticed a 195-70R15 size is available. I was targeting the 205-70R15. Local shop wants $770 for four mounted/balanced.

Is there reason not to go towards the 195s to save a little money? It would be closer to stock diameter too.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-c3/
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Daily driver in New Hampshire. I just bought a set of 205/65r16's. A mistake. I don't like them at all. I wanted all weather tires as our town has a good dry road policy after winter storms, but driveways and back roads not so much. And then there is slush and all. My wife has had great luck with front wheel drive Volvos and now a Jetta station wagon with all seasons. Rear wheel drive is a different kettle of fish altogether. I get stuck in icy parking lots. I have a pair of old 14" studded snows that are at the end of their life, but would be better than the WR C3's. I wanted 195's but couldn't find any quickly and so took the 205's. If I had to do it again I'd get some 195 summer tires and a set of studded 205 winters. Too late now. Will probably put the 14" snows on the back until spring and then remount the WR C3's in the rear. The snows won't live to see another winter and so I'll figure it out next year.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, DuncanS. I hate buying tires! Laughing
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Portland--Unless you go up into the mountains for skiing, I'd stick with summers; quieter, better ride, and longer tread wear.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Portland--Unless you go up into the mountains for skiing, I'd stick with summers; quieter, better ride, and longer tread wear.

Been there. I want traction for gravel and wet off-pavement situations. Nokian Entyres were a great highway tire, but not ideal off pavement. I'm on 205-75R15 General Grabber AT tires now. Too soft and too big.

Time to start looking around, but I wonder if the WRC3 may still be good for my needs. Others like them and I've had WRG4 tires on my other cars with outstanding results but they aren't RWD.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

WRC3's are not an aggressive tread. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is a summer pavement highway tire and 10 is a mud derby while climbing the Matterhorn in winter, the WRC3's are a 1.78. Go to the local tire guy and ask his advice. I spent over a hundred hours on Samba forums and various other sites and manufacturers locations and I wound up blowing it. When I went into my local mechanic to schedule some work, I mentioned the tires and he said: "Oh yeah, we've had a bunch of people who didn't like them. See that tire over there? That's the WRC3 and then beyond is a far better choice." Hmmmm. Don't bypass the guys who deal with this all the time. We think we are special because of the side loading and load index requirements, but these guys deal with everything and know how to choose far better than someone who buy tires just a few times in his life.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Further research. I have these tires on my subaru wagon and honda fit and they've been great all year round. Driving in the snow is almost fun. They used to be sold by Van Cafe too. Small Car has them, but $30 more per tire.

https://www.discounttirezone.com/NOKIAN-WRG3-ASYMMETRIC-20570R15-100H-XL_p_10139.html

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/wheel-tire-brake-and-...-tire.html

I may go for it.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I own both tires, with the WRC3s on the van and the WRG3s on the Subie Outback. I feel the WRC3s offer more winter grip, but that’s probably due to the much higher pressure the heavy fan puts on the smaller tires. In reality, the WRC3 and WRG3 are very similar tires, one just has a higher load rating and more “plies” than the other.
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
I've had my eye on these Nokian WR C3 tires for a while, but just noticed a 195-70R15 size is available. I was targeting the 205-70R15. Local shop wants $770 for four mounted/balanced.

Is there reason not to go towards the 195s to save a little money? It would be closer to stock diameter too.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-c3/

I have WRC3s on my DOKA, 205 70 15. Love the tire. Quiet, improved ride, good handling. I load up the truck up with gravel, etc. so need the truck rating. Don't have much soft road experience. Most important for you (I think) is that the 205 70 15 is no longer being produced, per many dealers. Couple days ago I bought my 5th tire as a spare just in case I get a sidewall blow out and can't find another tire. I had to have it shipped from across the country. If this size will no longer be produced by Nokian, consider a different size that is still in production, such as the 195 (verify). (I think the size issue is that there aren't many trucks that use a 15 inch, I guess.) Great tire though.

Oh, they are great in the rain...
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks, Pdxleaf. I know the WRG3 XL is on the way out, but hadn't heard the WRC3 in that size. Talked to a dealer last week and was told they would have them same day if I called in the AM. Either way, good feedback. I'll probably go for it.
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Thanks, Pdxleaf. I know the WRG3 XL is on the way out, but hadn't heard the WRC3 in that size. Talked to a dealer last week and was told they would have them same day if I called in the AM. Either way, good feedback. I'll probably go for it.

Aaarrgg! Bonehead move. I have WRG3 XL, not WRC3. So what I said applies to the WRG3, not the C3.

Apologies.
tulgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Amazon has BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 All-Season Radial Tire - LT215/75R15/C 100R for $132 right now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010C7AO5G/ref=p...&psc=1
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I have a small bit of advice on what won't fit.

Last night I was experimenting with a wheel swap from my Syncro to my 2wd and found 225/70R15 Cooper Discoverers on Mefro 15 steelies (ET30) will not fit the front end of a 2wd Vanagon. Too wide. They were within a few MM of the upper control arm. Any less pressure and the edge of the control arm would slice the inner wall of the tire.

Sure did look cool, though. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

It is easy enough to grind a few MM off the lip of the 2wd upper control arm where it is too close to the tire. Turn the steering lock to lock to see how far from center you need to grind.

Mark

joetiger wrote:
.... found 225/70R15 Cooper Discoverers on Mefro 15 steelies (ET30) will not fit the front end of a 2wd Vanagon. Too wide. They were within a few MM of the upper control arm......
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
It is easy enough to grind a few MM off the lip of the 2wd upper control arm where it is too close to the tire. Turn the steering lock to lock to see how far from center you need to grind.

Mark

joetiger wrote:
.... found 225/70R15 Cooper Discoverers on Mefro 15 steelies (ET30) will not fit the front end of a 2wd Vanagon. Too wide. They were within a few MM of the upper control arm......

Thanks, Mark. There's definitely plenty of metal there. I might dig deeper this weekend.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 57

Jump to: