Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Perhaps a bit off topic. I have 205's and on my lightweight tintop, I find scary hydroplaning at around 60 MPH. When I up graded from 14's to 16's, I didn't look hard enough for 195's Unless you plan on a significant amount of off road, I'd advise agains the wide tires. Hurts gas mileage and more load on engine and tranny to say nothing of highway safety.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Throwing these up for AT consideration.
TRAVELSTAR | ECOPATH HT | ALL SEASON | 255/70R16 | 111T

Size 245/75R16
Brand TRAVELSTAR
Section Width 245 Millimeters
Rim Width 16 Inches
Load Capacity 2403 Pounds
Tread Depth 12.6 32nds
Load Index Rating 111.0
Warranty 50,000 mi.

All the reviews I've seen I wouldn't trust as they just seem to some lazy writer copying somebody else's write up on them.
Customer reviews seem to be more real life.

http://travelstartires.com/details/ecopathat.html

$120 on Amazon right now.
https://www.amazon.com/Travelstar-EcoPath-Terrain-...uage=en_US

But wait...$75.00 on here with free shipping, but of course out of stock!
The picture does not match the AT designation, so buyer beware.
https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/travelstar-eco...uv004.html

Walmart has them in advertising, but doubt the local store has them in stock.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen this on their Nokian tires?

jimf909 wrote:

Nokian Entyre 2.0 on a VW CC (but also bought for Vanagons by folks here):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's interesting to note this separation happening on your Nokian tires.
I have experienced the similar problem on all 5 of my mine. My syncro has been garaged out out sunlight for 6 months at a time since the tires were new in 2016

Here's pictures of my Nokian Rotiva AT+ showing dryrot cracking where the tread meets the sidewalls.8

Last edited by Steve M. on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Straydogsteve wrote:
Hey folks, first post here at The Samba. I’m a new owner of a 1986 2WD Vanagon GL and have been perusing the tire and wheel related threads trying to settle on a wheel and tire combo for my van with mostly stock everything. I found this pdf http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf which was very helpful and I settled on what I thought was a winning combo for me:

15 inch alloy wheels from GW
Nokian WR C3 205/65R15C

Unfortunately I was told today by a local tire shop and later confirmed with the Nokian office, that that tire has been discontinued. I’m really bummed out because I liked that this combination maintained the OEM diameter of the rotating mass as well has having good highway, dirt, and snow performance. I live in Berkeley, CA and am mostly going to use it for light duty camping on BLM land as well as the odd trip to Lake Tahoe in the winter.

Could anyone lend some aid and recommend a similar setup to what I had settled on? PS I am not against keeping and using the stock 14 inch wheels on the van. It just looks like stepping up to 15 inch wheels greatly improves the choice of tires.

Did you find anything yet. I was also looking at these Nokian WR C3 in that size. Next option was the Yokohama geolander AT in that size
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I came across these and was wondering if anyone has used these before.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-Roadian-CT8-HL-18...lsrc=3p.ds

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Glenn73 wrote:
I came across these and was wondering if anyone has used these before.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-Roadian-CT8-HL-18...lsrc=3p.ds

One critical thing I do not see on these tires is channels for the rain water to escape out the sides of the tread.
I'm ditching the Nokian Rotiva's pictured above because of this.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I have Nokian 205s and the aquaplane like crazy. Stay away.
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Ok tire gurus....does anyone know of a good 14" studdable snow tire? Best one I've seen is Cooper Evolution in 195/70-14 but I'd like to have something closer to stock diamerer.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

There's the Weather Master (how could you go wrong with a name like that?), but the load range might concern me for a Westy...
https://tiresize.com/tires/Cooper/Weather-Master-ST2-215-70R14.htm

I would also recommend application of fluid film and frequent washings during winter. The mag chloride here isn't quite as bad as straight salt, but if you have any exposed metal, it will have a similar effect.
https://www.codot.gov/programs/research/pdfs/2000/truckcomponents.pdf
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
There's the Weather Master (how could you go wrong with a name like that?), but the load range might concern me for a Westy...
https://tiresize.com/tires/Cooper/Weather-Master-ST2-215-70R14.htm

I would also recommend application of fluid film and frequent washings during winter. The mag chloride here isn't quite as bad as straight salt, but if you have any exposed metal, it will have a similar effect.
https://www.codot.gov/programs/research/pdfs/2000/truckcomponents.pdf

Thanks...it's discontinued though, and I can't even find that size (or 205/75) on Ebay.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

korfmach wrote:

Thanks...it's discontinued though, and I can't even find that size (or 205/75) on Ebay.

Sorry, I didn't notice that. The only 14" studdable I can find is the Grabber A/T X, but it's a larger diameter.
https://tiresize.com/tires/General/Grabber-AT-X-27X8.50R14.htm

I'm assuming you want to stay at stock diameter because you have a stock engine/transmission? If so, I'm in the same boat. When the time comes to replace my tires, I will most likely switch to 15" rims in order to have a better selection.
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Sorry, I didn't notice that. The only 14" studdable I can find is the Grabber A/T X, but it's a larger diameter.

I'm assuming you want to stay at stock diameter because you have a stock engine/transmission? If so, I'm in the same boat. When the time comes to replace my tires, I will most likely switch to 15" rims in order to have a better selection.

Brickster, thanks for your help! Yes, stock engine/trans. I'd really prefer 15-inchers too but 14s are what I have in the garage. The AT-X looks like a good option.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

korfmach wrote:
brickster wrote:

Brickster, thanks for your help! Yes, stock engine/trans. I'd really prefer 15-inchers too but 14s are what I have in the garage. The AT-X looks like a good option.

You're welcome, and good luck! Is the van your primary vehicle, or are you planning on having some winter fun (or both)?
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

That's 218 in width. Currently have 205s and it would need different spacers to not rub. Guess it's time to throw out the forged AL 14" wheels.
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
korfmach wrote:
brickster wrote:

You're welcome, and good luck! Is the van your primary vehicle, or are you planning on having some winter fun (or both)?

Not really my DD...my DD is an old mountain bike. The van gets about 6k miles a year though and it's my partner's ride to work on snow days (she's a nurse). Also the van takes me elk hunting in October and November so I need something burlier than the Vantras. And then there's backcountry skiing....

Gone, but not forgotten:
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
amigaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

they aren't studded, but i've relied on Goodyear Wrangler L/T's on my stock 14" wheels for most of the time i've owned the van now (since 2005). Given that I rarely put even close to 5K miles/yr on the van, I typically replace them at the 10 year point as recommended and just get another set. Simpletire.com is your friend, people. Then just take them to Les Schwab or Discount Tire for installation and alignment.

I used to use a BF Goodrich tire but then they became hard to find, so was offered the Goodyears at Discount Tire then, and never looked back.

I have a stock WBX Syncro, so while climbing the mountain is a bit slow right before the ski resort, when all the cars start sliding around at the top, you just pass them back. Never been stuck in these tires, ever.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

amigaboy wrote:
they aren't studded, but i've relied on Goodyear Wrangler L/T's on my stock 14" wheels for most of the time i've owned the van now (since 2005).

I couldn’t find those on simpletire or anywhere else. Do you have a link?
amigaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I stand slightly corrected, thanks for the prompt - they are:

Goodyear Wrangler AT LT195/75R14 M+S.

I see them on Goodyear.com for $233/tire:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-at

you enter in the various parameters and then it allows you to choose the location of who can sell/install them for you. what's weird is that the initial search said 'no tires' - then you hit 'similar tires' and they come up.

in the reviews, it says tread life isn't as good as it could be, but, given many vanagons are garage queens anyway these days, that may not matter. It definitely hasn't mattered in my case, I've never had problems with them, nor any flats. Scrolling down the page, it shows:

Max Inflation Pressure (PSI) 50
Approved Rim Width (in.) 5.0-6.5
Measured Rim Width (in.) 5.5
Section Width (in.) 7.7
Tread Depth (in 32nds) 15
Outside Diameter (in.) 25.5
Revs Per Mile 819
Max Load (lbs) 1435

They aren't on simpletire, you are right - what's more it's hard to tell from simpletire whether the results from searching on that size are actual truck/light truck tires - car tires don't have strong enough sidewalls for a Vanagon.

hope this helps! I'd just start with the goodyear site and follow where it says to buy/install, expecting that they'll likely have to order them for you beforehand.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks! I believe these have been discussed here before…I think they’re used on USPS vehicles?

Oof, that price though. But you’re right that if you’re not driving alot of miles it’s a decent choice for staying at a stock-ish size for some mud and snow.
amigaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I found this earlier from the old Vanagon.com site - which is no longer up, but you can still visit it using the Wayback Machine (great resource for old sites no longer online):

https://web.archive.org/web/20080515074104/http://www.vanagon.com/info/tires/index.html

you have to go back to the early 2000's as not too long after, they started to change the site - for some reason I have yet to figure out, given the earlier site had GREAT content!

amigaboy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 57

Jump to: