Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wow! Not even 100 miles and that happened? Were you able to see what poked the hole in the tire?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Wow! Not even 100 miles and that happened? Were you able to see what poked the hole in the tire?

Nothing poked a hole in the tire. I was on the "Loop Rd." in Big Cypress Preserve in south Florida It is a graded improved dirt road for the tourists in their rental cars.
I was still on the road. I had stopped to photograph a Great Blue Heron from the drivers window.
The bird moved so I backed up to follow it and immediately heard hissing. I thought it was a gator that came up to sun itself on the road. Saw nothing in the mirrors and hesitated before moving again as the hissing had stopped. Nothing was biting the Syncro so I rolled back another foot and that was when I saw the dust blowing up from the escaping air.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Wow! A new low in cheap Chinese rubber...

Bummer.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

That sucks, So- Are you just going to toss them out because you can not trust them and buy another full set of tires?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Wow! A new low in cheap Chinese rubber...

Bummer.

Thailand actually.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
That sucks, So- Are you just going to toss them out because you can not trust them and buy another full set of tires?

If you read the reviews on SimpleTire.com out of 54 reviews there were only 2 bad reviews. Well 3 now!
People seem to be very happy with them. So I might have gotton the bad one?
Right now the finances just aren't allowing me to run out and spend money for a new set.
The single tire cost for this one has now exceeded the budget considering 25 bucks to mount, then 25 to dismount to send it back, then again another 25 bucks to mount again.
So I'll keep these based on the wallet and rave reviews about them. I'm not going out anywhere remote like I had planned today and not going out until I get the spare back!

It does look as if the steel belt did not overlap at this spot in the sidewall. Pushing it in to see the belt strand has a smooth edge so it was not torn apart-it just came apart. Hoping it is just a Monday morning tire from the factory.

I might be picking up a job soon so I'll be putting it back into storage again and not driving it.

tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: VW COMPLIANT TIRE OPTIONS Feb 2022 Reply with quote

Needed new tires for my '86 syncro, and it got way more complicated than I expected. To save people trouble I'll share the best options I found and also where to get the best information.

T3 Technique has a pdf at their site
https://t3technique.com/pages/technical-pages
Super info on the hardware and studs if you go with larger wheels

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html

Solid basic info of what is a VW compliant tire, 9% de-rating for passenger tires, what VW delivered OEM, correct tire pressure, etc.

I am surprised GoWesty sells non-compliant Michelin tires (95 load rating), they do not have the passenger tire load rating required by VW, 98 for 2WD and 99 for 4WD. For the most part name brands don't have the load rating. I stuck with compliant tires:

14 inch (stock wheels)
Vans came with 185R14 and 20570R14 tires. The 205R14 are an inch wider than 185R14. 205/70R14 are harder to find with the load rating, but they do exist:

$58 205/70 R14 98T XL BSW GT RADIAL TOURING VP PLUS (Discount Tire). 98 load rating, reinforced sidewall (XL). What's not to like? 98 load rating de-rated 9% is compliant for 2WD but 17 lb shy for Syncro. A passenger car tire, some say that means squishy, but is that true when you get reinforced sidewall? VW delivered Vanagons with 205/70 R14 reinforced sidewall passenger tires.

$108 205/70R14 102/100Q, D (8 Ply) Maxxis Bravo UE-168 (priority Tire). I bought these. Van tires fully compliant for Syncro, the only ones I found that are not the inch narrower 185R14 size.

Yes, you can buy compliant 185R14 tires from bigger brands:
Hankook Vantra 185R14 102R D1 BSW
YOKOHAMA Y356 185R14 101 D1 BSW (a summer tire)
Nokina Cline 185R14C 102/100 S
I didn't go for these because 185R14 is an inch narrower, but they are all truck/van/commercial rated tires that meet VW spec. The 9% de-rating does not apply for these, these are heavy duty tires well over the needed load rating.

Lots of people say you really should go to 15 or 16 inch wheels. My mechanic told me it is easier to find the load rating in tires with the bigger rims. Not so! In 215/60 R16 the big brands are 95 load rating, well under specification.
Priority Tire has a $82 Milestar WEATHERGUARD AS710 SPORT 215 /60 R16 99H XL BSW that has the load rating. I really wasn't seeing big brand 16 inch tires with stock rolling diameter and a compliant load rating.

In the end I was leery switching to bigger wheels because so few options in a load rated tire. Perhaps the many rep[orts of spongy 14 inch tires is really about inflation pressure? Here is the "silver sticker" info for Vanagons

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/Silver%20Sticker%20Info.html

43/48psi for 185R14 and 36/43 for 205R14C 6PR/8PR. 43/48 psi in a truck tire may have its downsides, but spongy with lots of sway doesn't seem right.
AKZog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

End of Winter UpDate:

We had a very icy and snowy winter this year and I ran these tires and had zero issues with getting around. Lost a little mpg but that’s to be expected.
I was zipping up into the backcountry and able to stop quickly on glare ice.
The vanagon was outperforming many of the AWD and 4WD vehicles on startups and corners.

Was very happy with performance and cost.
https://images.simpletire.com/images/w_460,f_auto,...rce-cv.png
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: BFG Sizing Reply with quote

Hey all.

Currently have Rheins with BFG AT KO 215/75r15.
Great setup, except for the loud tires.
No rubbing, great snow/dirt performance.

Finally going to get 16in CLKs fitted with BFG AT KOs.
Was planning 225/70r16.

I have the appropriate lug nuts from T3, center caps too.
Will drill out the CLK holes to 37/64 to fit the OEM mounting bolts/studs.

My Syncro has the GW 2in lift and Burley UCAs.

Anyone have this setup? feedback? rubbing?
Would 215/70r16, or some other size, be better option?

Cheers all.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

AKZog wrote:
End of Winter UpDate:

We had a very icy and snowy winter this year and I ran these tires and had zero issues with getting around. Lost a little mpg but that’s to be expected.
I was zipping up into the backcountry and able to stop quickly on glare ice.
The vanagon was outperforming many of the AWD and 4WD vehicles on startups and corners.

Was very happy with performance and cost.
https://images.simpletire.com/images/w_460,f_auto,...rce-cv.png

Funny story. Several yrs ago, bought a different van, and the seller threw in a set of mounted firestone, lightly used studded tires. Some time later, it was predicted that we were gonna get hit with a snow storm, so I put on the studs. We got snow. I was able to get around well, but, they did feel kinda funny on clear pavement and sounded slightly weird.
Had to go to the hardware store, and as I was pulling in, 2 guys were walking into the store and they stopped and were looking at me kinda funny like. I parked, got out, and one of the guys said to me that he thought my tires were mounted the wrong way. Yeah, right, kinda like my tire is only flat on one side.... He goes over to my van and points out that 2 of my tires WERE mounted on the wrong side!
They were directional tires. Once I swapped those 2 tires around, they handled and sounded quite a bit better.
Lesson? The tires you link to, appear to also be directional. Make sure they are mounted in the correct rotational direction for maximum pleasure...
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

215/65r16 Falken Wildpeak Ats on Ronal R28 wheels in 16x7.5 ET35 using 7mm spacers in the front from T3 and the snap-in-the-centerbore 8mm spacers in the rear that came with the wheels when I bought them. Clearance on the sliding door is about 1/8-1/4".

Incidentally, I also had some 225/60r16 studded tires over the winter and had no clearance issues with the door but never actually thought to look or measure. Tons of clearance to the balljoints up front, by the way.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
Put on Kumho Crugen HT51 215/65r16 and they are night and day difference to my under load limit tires. Got them installed for $385 after rebate! Low road noise, solid grip, nothing fancy.

I know this comment is old but do you have a picture of them on the van?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace the tires that came with my Doka from Europe - 205/80R 16's that have a pretty aggressive tread but sadly are getting old and starting to show their age (retreads to boot). I'm 80% dirt/mud/sand roads here in the spring, summer and fall so I've been looking for a similar tire - but hard to find knobby 205/80's for 16". Found these Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT 205/80 R16's at SimpleTire.com.

Question - my rims are cast 7.5" and these are to fit 5" to 7" rims. Is trying to fit them on a rim 1/2" a very common practice? Terrible idea?

My guess is the current Ecológico 205/80 R16's (made in Portugal) that I've driven over 15k miles on without issue over the last 5 years are not to be mounted this wide as well - the sidewall is very flat from rim to tread, but I cant find any info in them to verify that.

Thanks for any advice.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:

215/65r16 Falken Wildpeak Ats on Ronal R28 wheels in 16x7.5 ET35 using 7mm spacers in the front from T3 and the snap-in-the-centerbore 8mm spacers in the rear that came with the wheels when I bought them. Clearance on the sliding door is about 1/8-1/4".

Incidentally, I also had some 225/60r16 studded tires over the winter and had no clearance issues with the door but never actually thought to look or measure. Tons of clearance to the balljoints up front, by the way.

ive got these wild peaks on my lifted Subaru Outback. they've been nice enough tires so far. drove X country on interstates and plenty of dirt road mountain driving too. they're kind of loud and cut in the MPGs, but they're good tires.

incidentally, I'm looking for some regular 15s for the vanagon.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
mid winter pricing on (4) 205/70/15 lr100 Nokian Winter tires.
$60 ea or $240/4 shipped. (plus taxes).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nokian-Nordman-7-SUV-Non-...7011059783

have you used these tires? someone else was telling me about them recently and I'm curious. I was going to get some AT but I really don't need them and ant to put something on my 15 inch wheel set

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Brideau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hey all, first post here. About to do a 6000km round trip, and decided to swap out my BFG KO2's for some Nokian Outback APTs.

Was planning to use 215/70R16 100H on the front and 235/70R16 106T on the rear since I have more clearance in the back, but because of some supply issues I ended up going with the 235's for both front and back.

I have had my suspension upgraded and have a Subaru 3.3L engine swap so no issues on the power front. Have only have one issue with rubbing so far on the front when I went through a large dip. Will report back once I get on the road with these tomorrow.

Can post other photos if people are interested in seeing how this fit up close.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Brideau wrote:
Hey all, first post here.

Welcome! That license plate looks like it used to live on a different VW.
Brideau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

campism wrote:

Welcome! That license plate looks like it used to live on a different VW.

Ha! Definitely not the first to have it, but maybe the first in Ontario since they retire a plate after it’s used once here.

Here are some more shots after the first 1000km:

Front:

Rear:

With sliding door open (just barely clears it):

So far, they’re great. Had a bit of tire rub on the front when I jammed on the breaks during a traffic jam, but otherwise fine. I think if I could have gotten the 215s for the front it would have been a better fit.
whatmepanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hey all looking to upgrade my tires on my '81 Westy that's got the original engine and rims. What would be the best tire. It's a sort of daily driver (I have a 10 mile commute when I have to go to work) but it's also the campmobile and we do take it off-highway.

Thanks.
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

whatmepanic wrote:
Hey all looking to upgrade my tires on my '81 Westy that's got the original engine and rims. What would be the best tire. It's a sort of daily driver (I have a 10 mile commute when I have to go to work) but it's also the campmobile and we do take it off-highway.

Thanks.

Welcome to the madness. Change your fuel lines. You’ll find lots of opinions here. The Search function is your friend:

14” Tire Options:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499636

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 57

Jump to: