Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Function of the house battery in a Doka?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pointillist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Function of the house battery in a Doka? Reply with quote

OK- I've gone through my bentley and forum posts, and am coming up short. The house battery on my Sweedish sourced Doka is pretty toasted, and I started the basic wiring for moving to a lithium system today. I can see where the starter battery gets juice over to the house battery, and the relay that turns charging on and off based on ignition being on. Here's what I don't get-

What does the house battery actually do in a Doka? I can see that mine goes to a 30 amp fuse under the drivers seat, which then has a wire coming out of it which is properly wrapped and goes under the front carpet and up into the dashboard. When I disconnect this fuse, nothing seems different. Lights are fine, radio works, heat/AC work. Now, this car has had some work done (Smallcar AC unit and Subaru swap) and during that the old aux heater got removed. So I'm wondering if perhaps that 30 amp feed was to the old aux heater?

Anyway- anyone have any knowledge on what the house battery theoretically feeds in a Doka?

Thanks!
Social Links
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Function of the house battery in a Doka? Reply with quote

pointillist wrote:
..... The house battery on my Sweedish sourced Doka .....

What does the house battery actually do in a Doka?... the old aux heater got removed. So I'm wondering if perhaps that 30 amp feed was to the old aux heater?

Being that it's from Sweden 2nd battery was for the aux gas heater and if the Doka served as an emergency or related vehicle, that battery also fed added lights, radio or ?? But....

afaik, my '81 Canadian Westy gas heater was fed from the starter battery. And I don't recall seeing a 30 Amp fuse.

There are wiring diagrams in Bentley for the 'boost' heater.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
pointillist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Function of the house battery in a Doka? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
pointillist wrote:
..... The house battery on my Sweedish sourced Doka .....

What does the house battery actually do in a Doka?... the old aux heater got removed. So I'm wondering if perhaps that 30 amp feed was to the old aux heater?

Being that it's from Sweden 2nd battery was for the aux gas heater and if the Doka served as an emergency or related vehicle, that battery also fed added lights, radio or ?? But....

afaik, my '81 Canadian Westy gas heater was fed from the starter battery. And I don't recall seeing a 30 Amp fuse.

There are wiring diagrams in Bentley for the 'boost' heater.

Neil.

Thanks- that's kind of what I figured. When I got it, there was the aux heater, and it looked like maybe holes from a CB type radio. Interestingly, it has all of these amazing aux lights, but those are wired into the main fuse panel.

The 30amp fuse looks not original, even thought the wires do. My guess is there was maybe a junction that got upgraded, or when the aux heater was put in they added it? I'm going to try to trace the wires that go up into the dash better this week- am curious where they lead.
Social Links
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Function of the house battery in a Doka? Reply with quote

it was powering the aux heater and work lights if it had some.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: