Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

I'm having a shop called S&S Performance in Alpine Ca. build and install a 2.5 hybrid subaru engine with 2.2 heads. The owner of the shop sounds like a really nice guy and he builds many engines for other shops. (I hope I found the right guy) we will see. I currently have a 1993 2.2 ej22 in my syncro westy that broke down and needs a complete rebuild.

I had few choices for rebuild

a. Rebuild the current 2.2 (just not enough power especially up the hills)

b. Install 2.5 and change out the wiring harness ( Being in Ca. hard to get it smogged)

c. Build a hybrid or franken engine and keep all my wiring harness and get that extra torque the 2.2 lags.

Being in Ca. I thought hybrid engine was the best way to go. I'm also having this shop

Reseal the gas tank w/new straps

Stainless steel coolant pipes

New radiator

Install power steering rack with new power steering hoses ( mine is non power steering)

I'm sending the van in the shop tomorrow I'll try to have them take a lot of photos and I'll try to give updates.

By the way I chose this shop because they have supposedly built over 10 hybrid engines and know how to build it right. The price for the whole job was reasonable at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your engine grenaded. You are getting a ton of work done… Hope the shop is up to the task.

I would make sure any fuel lines replaced are 30R9 unless you want to replace them again in a few years.

Despite what people say 30R7 is not sufficient with today fuels.

Will you be using a standard 2.5 or a dished piston (turbo) short block? Curious how the builder will be selecting head gasket thickness. If you do not use dished pistons you will need some ultra thick head gaskets to keep compression in range. You may know all that already so forgive my question if you do.

You do not want a 11.5:1 or 12:1 plant in your vanagon, despite what some engine builders here and elsewhere might tell you.

9, 9.5 or 10:1 are all in range. 10.5:1 would be pushing it.

I love my Frankenmotor and I believe you will be thrilled with extra power. It is far more noticeable than the .3 litre difference would lead one to believe.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Sorry to hear your engine grenaded. You are getting a ton of work done… Hope the shop is up to the task.

I would make sure any fuel lines replaced are 30R9 unless you want to replace them again in a few years.

Despite what people say 30R7 is not sufficient with today fuels.

Will you be using a standard 2.5 or a dished piston (turbo) short block? Curious how the builder will be selecting head gasket thickness. If you do not use dished pistons you will need some ultra thick head gaskets to keep compression in range. You may know all that already so forgive my question if you do.

You do not want a 11.5:1 or 12:1 plant in your vanagon, despite what some engine builders here and elsewhere might tell you.

9, 9.5 or 10:1 are all in range. 10.5:1 would be pushing it.

I love my Frankenmotor and I believe you will be thrilled with extra power. It is far more noticeable than the .3 litre difference would lead one to believe.

Neil2

Funny I was going to PM you and ask some questions. Very Happy

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've read your threads on your engine and I was very excited to hear that you were pleased with the hybrid subaru. I got the gowesty gas tanks seal kit so I'm not sure what type of rubber they are using. I hope I won't have to re-do the job anytime soon.

This shop has already built many hybrid engines, I'll try post all the things they are doing to their engines. Steve the owner said he doesn't mind if I share some of his secrets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Another Frankenmotor!

Yes, please keep us posted on which block you use, which heads, pistons, cam and rocker set up (roller or flat tappet), and what thickness head gasket you use.

I just compression tested my engine, my rings are not fully seated yet: 205 in #2 and 180-185 on the rest. I am hoping the #'s come up and all settle around 205.
Runs like a bat a hell as is!

Paul
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok here are some pictures of the build. Steve the owner told me that my compression ratio would be 10.25 whatever that means. He said he can't share all his knowledge, but he did say he uses sti rods and heads need to be machined certain way so the gasket seats right. I'm not really technically inclined so please excuse me. He sent some pictures. He also said he would be using the later or 97 2.2 heads with rollers that would increase the HP by few.

Im really excited about this process. Also all the parts that will be going into my van. Finally get to have power steering. Tdi starter also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hybrid 2.5

engine almost done, my van leaving to his shop tomorrow
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I finally got my Syncro back with a 2.5 hybrid with all the other upgrades done to the van. I wanted give some feedback on the engine and other mods.

a. The 2.5 with 2.2 heads or the hybrid engine was completely rebuilt by shop called S&S performance in Alpine Ca. I driven the Syncro about 200 miles and I have to tell you I really like the performance compare to my old Suby 2.2 engine. I can feel the torque and the power. Being a Syncro weekender going uphill or incline was a struggle with the 2.2. But with the new engine I can feel the difference. Another nice thing was I didn't have to deal with all the obd2 and re-make the wiring harness. I think I made the right choice going with the hybrid engine. The cost of rebuild for just the long block was $2500.

b. I also installed the Tdi starter with Westyfventure adapter. WoW what a difference starting the motor. My stock starter would start fine when the engine was cold but when the engine was warm it would struggle to crank over. This upgrade is awesome. The starter has so much power, it spins the engine like nothing. I thought about going with GW reduction gear starter but after reading all the reviews I decided on the Tdi starter route. I got the Tdi Bosch starter from Summit racing. They had the best price. Total cost including adapter was $245.

c. Non power steering to Power steering. I don't know why my Syncro Weekender didn't come with power steering. But I had to deal with it for a long time and finally I decided to change to power steering. All I can say is I'm not ever going back. So easy to turn Very Happy especially in the parking lot. Now parking is a breeze even with the 4x4 or AWD mode. Much more fun to drive. I got the steering rack for Van-cafe and power steering lines from Frank Condelli $550

d. I also upgraded the coolant pipes and re-did the gas tank with new stainless steel straps and installed new radiator Well nothing really noticeable except its a preventive maintenance. I did notice much better coolant temp with the new radiator. I got all the parts from Van-cafe except the gas tank re-seal kit and gas tank straps from GW. I prefer the GW gas tank seal kit because they use better clamps then Van-Cafe.

I'm pretty happy with the work they've done. If you have a 2.2 engine and it takes a dump like mine this maybe another option to go with the 2.5 hybrid version.
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

Bumping an old thread because I spoke with this gentleman and he was really nice a passionate. I am considering going this route since I am in CA. Any information regarding price, opinions, etc would be really helpful. I have always dreamed of a diesel but there doesn't seem to be much support in socal. And Auto Haus in Sacramento seems great, but they are out of my price range.

Thanks,
Alex
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

http://www.livethevanlife.com/reviews/subaru-ej25-engine-conversion-review
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

I think David2676 just completed an engine install from S&S. You might reach out to him to get an idea of what his costs were this year.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647556&highlight=
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

Thank you!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

I ran a 2.2 for 2500 miles across country and it failed when I arrived home. pulled it and had a 2.5 Frankenmotor built and LOVE it! All ARP studs, 11mm oil pump,tri-metal gaskets, ported etc. The 2.2 heads get opened up on the upper coolant jackets to accomodate the 2.5 block.
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New build thread 2.2 to 2.5 hybrid in a syncro / other mods Reply with quote

Hi Y'all,

I would love to hear any updates on the builds (Frankenmotor, 2.5, 2.2 or other) from Steve at S & S Performance in Alpine CA. For the original OP has the performance continued to be better than your prior 2.2 or old original diesel? Any out of ordinary mant issues or concerns.

I've recently been guided towards Steve at S & S. Build prices have increased( yet so has everything). Its a hefty chunk of change, so I am seeking updates on build satisfaction or issues. Thanks so much!

Warmly respectful,

Dawn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: