Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cylinder/Head mating surface issue
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastfil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lustre of machined aluminium always makes surface imperfections look worse than they are. Digital cameras highlight it even more.
flyfisher111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused who is drinking the beer? I been a machinist (not auto) for 30 years. What I see is disgusting. Its not carelessness or a mistake, it borders on criminal. For crying out loud they didn't even bother to deburr the holes. I would take them up on the offer to repair what they have done. If you don't have the areas where the cylinders seat on the same plane you could have a leaking or a warped head. Man that grinds my gears, sorry!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of wondering if all the little ridges will make dozens of hot spots into combustion chamber ... I personally would not have accepted the parts.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I am kind of wondering if all the little ridges will make dozens of hot spots into combustion chamber ... I personally would not have accepted the parts.....

Dale

I didn't say anything earlier, but that's buggin' me too. I think I'd have both chambers flycut now the exact same depth, and have the other head checked to make sure the depth/cc's are the same.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not bragging, but I might be able to produce something that ugly in my garage...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
I'm not bragging, but I might be able to produce something that ugly in my garage...

Fine I will bragg, I can produce a better job in my garage , I do mine on my mill and its easy to get some chatter but that's ridiculous , my last set chatterd just a little but not like that ... if that's a machine shop job , its shitty...
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of the step does require a shim.. I know some folks use a copper shim here and then the shim between the block and Cyl to keep Compression ratios correct... At least that's my understanding.

Having that very thing done on my 1915 right now. Fly cut the block and heads...at Vallero's.

I concur that the workmanship on those heads is beyond awful... Nice that the shop stepped up to the plate and offered to correct the issue. Problem is, did he also do a valve job for you? OHHHHH man!

Jim
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put this post to bed already. Good grief.

I lapped all the cylinders, (something I do for all builds anyway) and double checked for equal cylinder depth. They were all spot on, no need to do flycut any further.

I've already disassembled the heads to check & clean the valve components, (again something that I do before every build) and the valves all seat fine, tested with rubbing alcohol for leaks.

As well, I will debur any ridges in the compression chamber that were left from the flycutting, no big deal.

No, I'm not pleased with the machining job and it should not have left the shop like that, but the vendor offered to make good on things. After further investigation I discovered it was nothing catastrophic that couldn't be sorted and lapping the cylinders proved the surface wasn't as bad as the photo indicated, which measurements confirmed.

I wouldn't think to install any part straight out of the box, and this is a good example of why you check/measure and ask questions and use some critical thinking when unsure about something. In this case things weren't as bad as they first appeared. No need to overthink this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted! Very Happy
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mark, but we're just having a bit of fun with it. I'm glad you didn't name the Vendor, as they stepped up to the plate, and it sounds you are more than capable of tidying the job up yourself. If you polish the chambers don't mention it here, or this thread will never end!

P.S. I'm the one drinking the beer, not much else to do as I haven't got a new job yet so I can't spend any money on car parts. Sad
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
I agree Mark, but we're just having a bit of fun with it. I'm glad you didn't name the Vendor, as they stepped up to the plate, and it sounds you are more than capable of tidying the job up yourself. If you polish the chambers don't mention it here, or this thread will never end!

P.S. I'm the one drinking the beer, not much else to do as I haven't got a new job yet so I can't spend any money on car parts. Sad

You could if you quit drinking beer and saved that money for car parts.
Cool
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrilege!

Besides, hanging around the bar asking people for money for car parts would be a very slow process... and I'd probably run out of bars, too.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatter marks! MUst be a newbie "machinist" let loose at the Bridgeport.

The quill speed is way too fast, too much tool overhang.

If you don't have a Wohlhaupter boring/facing head, then you need to at least do it w/ a Criterion head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
Sacrilege!

Besides, hanging around the bar asking people for money for car parts would be a very slow process... and I'd probably run out of bars, too.

Not in Wisconsin......

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: