Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

air conditioning?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: air conditioning? Reply with quote

Is there a roof unit or other unit that people recommend using? Is there a thread already? Does your westy have factory AC for use going down the road?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: air conditioning? Reply with quote

climber2377 wrote:
Is there a roof unit or other unit that people recommend using? Is there a thread already? Does your westy have factory AC for use going down the road?

Good question because I'm considering a roof top unit similar to what is on the gigantic RV's. I have a feeling they are running off a transformer kicking out AC volts. I did a quick search a few months ago and did not see a small enough unit that I liked.
There are small A/C systems used on smaller pleasure boats which operate from 12vdc, but memory seems to think 12vdc motors do not seem to last long compared to the higher voltage units. There are 24vdc units out there and a step-up transformer would work, but I'm still slowly researching it.
This helps!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: air conditioning? Reply with quote

For use while parked I think you're going to need to be plugged into shore power (110VAC). I rather doubt there is anything effective that your 12VDC battery(s) and electrics could handle.

Many threads on this -- basically of people who mount a small window AC unit (from Home Depot. Lowes etc) either in the drivers window (installed after they're parked) or in the luggage rack (to blow in through the front screen window of the tent).

climber2377 wrote:
... Does your westy have factory AC for use going down the road?

Yes. Fine for getting there, otherwise I try to avoid multi-days stays in places that are hot and sticky -- easier to do in the mountains and deserts of the West & Southwest.

I can't recall the last time I 'camped' next to an AC power hook-up -- not really the sort of place I care to be.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not any roof mounted unit produced that can be supported by the Westfalia's fiberglass roof.

Most folks have or are working on getting their factory AC set up working.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.K. is back! I hope all is well. you were very missed out her I "vanland"!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i saw somewhere that someone put a unit of some kind in the back closet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ^ was for shore power when parked.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any small portable generators like the little red Honda that would be able to run an AC unit?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but they're not little or small.

Seems like you'll need about 3kw to keep a small window AC unit running;
takes even more to power the surge when it kicks on.

This question comes up every year...is it spring already...???

Wink

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Yes, but they're not little or small.

Seems like you'll need about 3kw to keep a small window AC unit running;
takes even more to power the surge when it kicks on.

This question comes up every year...is it spring already...???

Wink

What? Were you dozing all winter and didn't invent the zero draw AC unit? I'm SO disappointed in you!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure SOMEONE will come up with it this year... Wink Rolling Eyes

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, nobody gonna spank the new-bee for not using the "Search"??
You guys are getting soft! Razz

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
...This question comes up every year...is it spring already...???

Currently 88° here at 4:23 in the afternoon so yeah, I've verified the A/C is good to go.

As far as heat & humidity when camping: like tornadoes, floods and death --I plan to be somewhere else when it happens.
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan was to post and get a link to the forum topics of the past, but if you want to be that guy, you are welcome. Might be new to this forum, but I m not new to the internet. Maybe volkswagon people are not as amiable as subaru folk?
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory Westy A/C does not work that well even when it is in top shape. The best one I have seen takes some work to do and involves putting an in dash system in. I have seen one van with this and trust the owner when he says it works great. I do not know whom first did this but the person I know got the parts list from someone whom had posted it online at one time and then he gathered the parts installed them. It would not be a project for the faint of heart I suspect but it beats the factory system and if you have none at all may be the better road to pursue than finding a factory system ti install and having a weak system.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behr had an in dash "factory" unit. They also had a supplemental unit located under the back seat.

Some have removed the entire in dash VW air handler system and installed aftermarket HVAC systems in their place. These are mostly designed for adding Modern AC into vintage cars.

Some have installed entire HVAC units out of other brands of cars.

We all agree that the VW rear mount factory AC unit is marginal at best.

When parked, the most popular system is a very small home window unit mounted in a front cab window. They make special AC hangers even!

Some have installed built in small units as well. Also designed for small room/ home use.

Type in "VW Vanagon Air Conditioning" into google search and click on images....... Many many options will appear!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I m currently working from my "stupid" phone so its not the best time for in depth research, figured a thread would help steer me in the right direction. I ve seen several vans with little fans in them as well. I've not purchased my westy yet but have allotted some funds for the occasion that I happen to find it. There is an 81 I m looking at but it does not have AC... I think it is in great shape otherwise and has relatively low miles...About 100k. There is very little rust and although I would eventually want to put a subaru engine in and would prefer to start with a watercooled model for that conversion, I can't help but think the condition of this body with low miles might be a good place to start.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climber2377 wrote:
Thanks Dave, I m currently working from my "stupid" phone so its not the best time for in depth research, figured a thread would help steer me in the right direction. I ve seen several vans with little fans in them as well. I've not purchased my westy yet but have allotted some funds for the occasion that I happen to find it. There is an 81 I m looking at but it does not have AC... I think it is in great shape otherwise and has relatively low miles...About 100k. There is very little rust and although I would eventually want to put a subaru engine in and would prefer to start with a watercooled model for that conversion, I can't help but think the condition of this body with low miles might be a good place to start.

Many have converted air cooled to water cooled, just cut out for the lower grill and slip in a radiator! Sounds easy doesn't it? Smile

Fewer have cobbled a radiator into the rear...... Seems too difficult and cramped for me.

Rust, learn the rust spots and check out your potential purchase for rust. It can be fixed but is expensive and at times involved. Best to find a rust free body and build upon that.

Good Luck!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
As far as heat & humidity when camping: like tornadoes, floods and death --I plan to be somewhere else when it happens.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

climber2377 wrote:
My plan was to post and get a link to the forum topics of the past, but if you want to be that guy, you are welcome. Might be new to this forum, but I m not new to the internet. Maybe volkswagon people are not as amiable as subaru folk?

A) Volkswagen

B) We're plenty amiable; however, it helps tremendously to spell out, in detail, the information you're seeking in your first post. For example:

Hi! I'm in the market for a Westy and am currently looking at a 1981 air-cooled. It's great body-wise and mechanical-wise, but it lacks A/C and I must have A/C. Is there any way to retrofit A/C? Is it worth it to retrofit A/C, or should I wait for a van that already has A/C? What does everyone use for A/C while parked? If you could point me to existing topics that'd be great. Thanks!

C) From the camping sticky:
Portable A/C: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417287
12v portable A/C: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336890
Too hot in the van: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519665

From the FAQ sticky:
Universal front A/C units: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=234572

From a search:
Retrofitting A/C: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480685

Wink

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climber2377
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Did I mention I m typing on my stupif phone?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: