Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Many Triple Knob Syncro's are out there?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me three.
Like Seth suggested, in beach sand having 3 lockers and deflated tires are the key to not getting stuck. Rear drum brakes are nice for wheel spin modulation as well.

Just a regular guy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four knobs are better!

http://syncroquadknobs.weebly.com/

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Laughing

I had to laugh. Very clever and someone has some extra time on their hands!

Great! Hahahaaaaaaa....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sealed the deal to build another three knobber for a new Syncro owner today. Cool
Being shipped to me from California Shocked and than will be driven home when complete....the long route Wink

I am supplying the locker diff, locker trans, decoupler, plumbing, wiring, dash panel.....and will be adding the flasher gizmo as well.
Yes, I have all of these parts on hand, but only for sale to van owners who have them installed by me.

930 halfshafts front and rear too.

I will post a few pics as time allows.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
I pull my knob once in a while just to make sure it's working.

Laughing Laughing
not in public I hope Shocked
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroid wrote:
Birdcage wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Birdcage, you can't just show us that picture and talk about the weather. Is that the AC of our dreams? How about a new thread?

bump Confused enquiring minds
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NO KNOB SYNCRO option, you can do 1-2 or 3! all it takes are Benjamins Very Happy .....see classifieds in Samba

I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have three knobs. We have only ever "needed" the decoupler and rear locker to stay moving. We have played around a bunch with the front locker to keep it loose, but I am happy with how Bo moves even with just the rear locker 90% of the time!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShootingFish wrote:
I think that the best thing one could do with their syncro is to put in the de-coupler... night and day difference.

When I had a Viscous Coupling in the front diff, I liked decoupling to eliminate tire binding when making tight turns into a parking space. I also discovered I prefer how the van drives curves on pavement decoupled. So I went to a solid shaft instead of a VC to maximize my off road traction.

When I had a VC, I did not like waiting for it to spool up before it would send power to the front wheels. Don't get me wrong, a VC works great to send power to the front occasionally, but there is a delay. The easiest way to recognize that is to watch a syncro with VC in sand. You will see that the rear rides lower than the front.

zippyslug31 wrote:
I love the decoupler... and by now has probably paid for itself in fuel savings

what makes you think a decoupler saves you fuel?

Reventlos wrote:
Many years ago on a Syncro Safari in the desert, I really had my eyes opened on the essential nature of the front locker and solid driveshaft in difficult terrain. My single locker was almost stymied on some loose steep grades.

Thanks for mentioning solid shaft. Most people here, when they say they have 3 knobs, fail to mention if they have a VC still. I consider a solid shaft True 4wd. And I consider a VC Intermittent All Wheel Drive.

hans j wrote:
someday I will be doing a front locker and a decoupler (but keep the VC).

there you go. Somebody who knows the difference and has their reasons. Most people who keep a VC do it so they can couple on pavement with patchy snow. And because the VC acts as a shock release, protecting the tranny from wheel bind on high traction surfaces.

Syncro Jael wrote:
I took Daryl's advice and installed his "Sport VC" instead of a solid shaft. He said it will give the drivetrain a little "cushion" on some hard surfaces. Strange that the new sport VC is less aggressive than my old VC is. Confused ... I have been running a decoupler for a few months and love it. Very Happy

So you went from a more aggressive VC with no decoupler, to a less aggressive VC and a decoupler. You basically reduced the amount of power transfer to the front diff. What do you love about having a decoupler, the ability to park without scrubbing?

danbar wrote:
decoupler... I might install it sooner than later to ease my parking woes in the city.

Bingo! Spoken like a man with a working VC. You would be surprised how many people say their VC does not bind when parking. I had one of those once, it was failed in the open position. It never sent power to the front at all. It was basically decoupled always.

4x4BNB wrote:
I have three knobs...front and rear locker and decoupler. Yes I believe it's worth the expense. I enjoy driving around in 2wd as often as possible

So you have a solid shaft or VC? What do You like about driving around in 2wd instead of with a VC coupled?

kiomon wrote:
We have three knobs. We have only ever "needed" the decoupler and rear locker to stay moving. We have played around a bunch with the front locker to keep it loose, but I am happy with how Bo moves even with just the rear locker 90% of the time!

Are you saying you drive decoupled but rear locked? Is your front diff loaded with a VC or solid shaft?

there you go guys, you can see that most people think a decoupler is cool. What you also see is most people don't mention if they use a solid shaft or VC.

I have 3 knobs with a solid shaft. I never couple on dry pavement. I couple on dirt, and also when the road is completely covered in snow. I really like the ability to decouple, even when I had a VC, in parking lots. I never liked the drag from the VC on pavement, nor did I like the delay getting power to the front wheels with a VC offroad.

I use the front locker occasionally, only on straight line pulls. I unlock as soon as turns come up.

I did some tests, and I find that using the front locker, I can climb obstacles more easily, even if I don't air down. So in a way, a front locker reduces the need to air down.

otoh, airing down to 20psi lets me get up things that spin my wheels at 30psi, even coupled to a solid shaft and front and rear locked. that is to say, I can get up obstacles with the front unlocked, if I air down, that I can only get up with the front locked, if I don't air down. Bottom line is airing down is more significant than a front locker. Just my opinion

Also in sand, I find airing down more effective than locking. I can easily get stuck in sand fully locked and coupled at 25psi. If I drop to 12psi, I do not need to lock front nor rear, just coupled to a solid shaft will get me out. In fact, imho, locking axles in sand digs me down more in a turn, than open diffs.

Where a locker really shines, is on firm terrain that puts a wheel in the air, such as when crossing holes. I try to avoid wheel spin, and locking will prevent that. btw, lack of wheel spin, prevents the VC from spooling up, so imho, the ultimate off road configuration is to have a solid shaft. otoh, for pavement use, a VC is the way to go. But then, on pavement, I don't need AWD. And as I said earlier, I prefer how my van drives through curves on pavement better decoupled.

So lets hear it, those of you with Decouplers and VC's, why do you not go to a solid shaft also? Is it because you like to couple on pavement, particularly in patchy snow conditions? I think patchy snow is probably the best reason for a VC.

I do sometimes couple my solid shaft on pavement, if it is raining so hard that I start to hydroplane decoupled. But the better move is to slow down so no hydroplaning happens in the first place Smile
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

I have 3 knobs with a solid shaft. I never couple on dry pavement. I couple on dirt,....
I do sometimes couple my solid shaft on pavement,....
But the better move is to slow down .... Smile

Must
resist
comments...... Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
The easiest way to recognize that is to watch a syncro with VC in sand. You will see that the rear rides lower than the front.

That is a example of weight transfer. You will see that in all motorsports in every terrain type, even indy cars.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
That is a example of weight transfer.

http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/ENGLISH/Zuschaltb__Allrad/zuschaltb__allrad.html

"You can easily tell how  "the rear wheels dig in first" until the viscous coupling starts to engage….
When replacing the viscous coupling by a connecting sleeve you will achieve 100 % transmission on both axles.
This means for example: less digging in of the rear"

http://sethdrew.com/Uganda/technology.html
"Pre-heating viscous couplings used in vehicle four-wheel-drive systems with engine coolant should be a cost effective, convenient, and efficient method of increasing the traction of such systems in severe environments such as deep sand or mud....
The following picture illustrates where the rear wheels have been turning, but by the time they have turned so much that the viscous coupling makes the front wheels turn, the vehicle is already dug down into the sand. Viscous couplings have an ordinary and neccessary delay in becoming fully hardened. The delay is needed on pavement or the transmission can be harmed. But if the delay can be reduced by the driver when traveling on sinking-type surfaces then the risk of becoming stuck can be reduced until road conditions improve.

0:26 through 0:42 of a Youtube video (not mine) involving a volvo station wagen clearly shows the delay in full torque transfer to the wheels driven by the viscous couplings, and how this delay puts vehicles which have viscous couplings at a disadvantage. The delay is the time it takes for the viscous coupling to heat up and reach the "hump condition" of full torque."

Link

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a VC won't give a true 50/50 power transfer of the solid shaft replacement but they are still affected by weight transfer once you hit the go pedal.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
So you went from a more aggressive VC with no decoupler, to a less aggressive VC and a decoupler. You basically reduced the amount of power transfer to the front diff. What do you love about having a decoupler, the ability to park without scrubbing?

I did not know that the "Sport VC" was less aggressive Shocked than the VC that I originally had. I was after a more aggressive one but not a solid shaft. I guess my VC was getting worn and was firmer than stock. But I still have the other front diff so I can swap them if I really want to.

I mainly wanted to keep Viscous Coupler for winter travel since I live in Utah. I like the AWD option that keeping the VC gives. I spoke with Daryl AA on this and he also recommended keeping a VC for my type of driving and how much I really will be off road.

I wanted the decoupler for parking and to keep some of the pressures off the entire drivetrain when on pavement or hard surfaces.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
You would be surprised how many people say their VC does not bind when parking. I had one of those once, it was failed in the open position. It never sent power to the front at all. It was basically decoupled always.

There seems to be lots of variables for VC behavior. Mine does not bind when parking if I've been driving around town or a quick run to the mountains on a cool day. After extended highway driving it definitely gets tight, and city driving in hot weather like in SoCal it gets tight.
Every year when I go through emissions testing I watch the van on the dyno and the front wheels start spinning pretty quick so I know the VC is working properly.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four knob April 1st joke was great but realy how about it?

I talked to a VW transmision mechanic in Portland once about adapting the VC (or adding a device) so that it could operate as a VC or a straight shaft at the pull of a knob (or touch of a button). He thought it was technicaly possible although I can't tell you how. Wouldn't that realy be the best of both worlds?

I like my straight shaft for off road but would realy like to be able to use a VC when the roads are slippery or on patchy snow/ice. Someone on TheSamba must be able to figure this out?
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shepherdsond wrote:
adapting the VC (or adding a device) so that it could operate as a VC or a straight shaft at the pull of a knob...
I like my straight shaft for off road but would realy like to be able to use a VC when the roads are slippery or on patchy snow/ice.

I know of only One Lockable VC, it is on Jack Sefeurer's Rubicon Syncro

here is another way to go:
http://www.aatransaxle.com/price_list.htm
Locker Limited Slip Diffs Always a torque biasing LSD with a selectable factory style locker on demand
RobT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in... stock syncro 16", front and rear lockers with decoupler added keeping the vc. I like having the vc for all of the obvious reasons. I like being able to decouple for AOTOR as well. Especially after a long haul on the highway, parking, etc. I'm not a hard core offroader and if I was I would probably go with a solid shaft. As it is the vc serves well for average offroading but most importantly for me, it's awesome, as long as it's working correctly, for slippery conditions on the road. The vc prefaced above is almost unbeatable as a traction device IMO and being able to turn it off if desired is the best of both worlds...For me!

RobT
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 knobs with a solid shaft. For most people I recommend using the knobs as follows. When you can't go further in 4wd activate the rear locker, when you can't go further in 4wd with the rear locker engage the front locker to get you back out of the situation, not to get further into trouble.

Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: