Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dometic RM182 on 12v question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Dometic RM182 on 12v question Reply with quote

I was reading through my manual for the Dometic RM182 and it says the frige does not use the thermostat while running on 12v. Has anyone figured out a way to use a thermostat while running on 12v?

I'm assuming it just runs at 100% all the time when on 12v sucking down 7amp/hr.. Seems like a pretty dumb design, so has anyone figured out a work around other than replace the frig?

I have 200 watts of solar mounted and 2x group 31d batteries.. I would be able to run the fridge off my 12v but I don't want it to run non stop.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. had a little giggle thinking the fridge could ever reach a set point on 12v. Wink

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Thanks. had a little giggle thinking the fridge could ever reach a set point on 12v. Wink

Neil2

Are they that bad on 12v? I have a actual 12v fridge, that I intended to put in my other van before I bought this Westy. The problem is it was bought with the intentions of building custom cabinets for the other van and it's bigger 19 inches wide so it doesn't want to fit into the narrow Westy cabinet. Confused
DeanZimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good question, and I would extend the question to be does the fridge even work on 12V? I have removed mine, had it completely checked out on the bench in all modes. I have run it all 3 ways while in the van and when on 12v it may as well not be on at all. So now I run it on propane (while driving, stopped etc) or else 120V if I have a serviced camp site and ignore 12V altogether.

Dean
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that is the reason why the rule of thumb is to run your frig on 12v when the motor is running. I have only done like 2 times(12v) and you have to remember to spark off the propane when you get to where your going. It's just so much eaiser to run propane.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the 12 volt element can make the Westy fridge as cold as the other 2 modes. Ours would frost up the fins and sometimes freeze salads on long drives. It may take a little remedial wiring work to get it up to snuff on 12 volts.

Someone long ago came up with a how to for adding thermostatic control for the 12 volt mode. I will look to see if I can find it.

Mark

DAV!D wrote:

Are they that bad on 12v? I have a actual 12v fridge, that I intended to put in my other van before I bought this Westy. The problem is it was bought with the intentions of building custom cabinets for the other van and it's bigger 19 inches wide so it doesn't want to fit into the narrow Westy cabinet. Confused
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na, has to be 12v as I'll be doing a very long road trip and can't deal with propane. Guess I will just make my other fridge fit. It works great, but its a little wider, i think I can make it fit with out too much hassle. I was just wondering if there was any improvements I could do to the stock one to make it work full time on 12v.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I have found that the 12 volt element can make the Westy fridge as cold as the other 2 modes. Ours would frost up the fins and sometimes freeze salads on long drives. It may take a little remedial wiring work to get it up to snuff on 12 volts.

Someone long ago came up with a how to for adding thermostatic control for the 12 volt mode. I will look to see if I can find it.

Mark

DAV!D wrote:

Just saw your post.. That sounds interesting.. I did read on another site I found via google, that someone added fans and that made it cool better, but they didn't have anything on the thermostatic set up.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original wiring on the Westy had a relay that only allowed the fridge to run on 12 volts while the van was running. This prevented excess battery drain. Most people have rewired that at some point. The 25 year old technology on the dometics was good at the time, but not up to todays standards. They weren't meant to run on 12v while parked. That's what the propane mode was for. They could run for several weeks on propane. You're better off getting a modern fridge if what you need is 12v operation.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
They weren't meant to run on 12v while parked. That's what the propane mode was for. They could run for several weeks on propane. You're better off getting a modern fridge if what you need is 12v operation.

x2

A PO messed with the wiring in mine so the fridge runs on 12v even when the engine is off. Found that out the hard way and can tell you that the fridge completely drained the aux battery within just a few hours. I now run the fridge on DC only when driving long distances and make darn certain to switch it over to AC or propane when parked for long periods. I can't imagine a thermostat control giving the old Dometic better 12v use while still being able to adequately keep your food cold. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Na, has to be 12v as I'll be doing a very long road trip and can't deal with propane...

Propane isn't much trouble if you turn it on and leave it on. It will run 14+ days on a fill-up -- a brief stop every 2 weeks isn't much bother for me.

We once ran ours 24/7 for almost a year (turned off only long enough to have the tank filled) -- can't imagine travel w/o it.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should start a thread on " things we as a group disagree on". It is amazing the varieties of experiences we have on here. Personally I think I did the world a favor when I bashed my dometic westy fridge to bits in the front yard saving anyone else the aggravation of ever trying to use the damn thing, yet here we have another person say they can actually get one to work. I will say this I have a dometic cf18 and that sumbitch will make ICE within an hour. gowesty agrees with me on this one as well!

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your long road trip will involve driving for hours each day on most days then you might get by on 12 volts if you do things right. Staying put is more of a problem and the problem will go up along with the outside temperature. Propane mode is the best way for staying put off the grid, that is why it is provided. My guess is that the batteries you will possibly kill trying to make 12 volts work will cost more than the propane would. I would save the aggravation and run propane or switch to a modern electric fridge.

Mark
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, you have the solar panel and house battery set up, so I strongly suggest you use your compressor fridge. The 12V mode on the Dometic 182 draws more power than your headlights. The Dometic 182 is just plain tiny.

Don't worry about the 19" width, that is, if your compressor fridge is a TruckFridge TF-65. The mounting flanges on the sides of the TF65 are not needed and after removal, you have a unit that is 17.5" wide (approx.) You do have to modify your Westfalia cabinet, but it is not difficult.

See this thread for help:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359831&highlight=fridge+projects

To Neil, I think there is a great deal of variability of the Dometic 182's, even after you do all the right maintenance things (placing it upside down etc to recover ammonia, extra fan(s), etc), there is a lot of variability in the performance. I have had several Dometic 182's and none performed the same. The one good one I had tempted me to think the Dometic might, with overhaul and added fans, be "okay". Wrong.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
My guess is that the batteries you will possibly kill trying to make 12 volts work will cost more than the propane would. I would save the aggravation and run propane or switch to a modern electric fridge.

Mark

X2. Even deep-cycle batteries have a life span - a certain number of cycles before they stop holding as much charge. The deeper the discharge the fewer cycles you get. So if you get 300 cycles out of your batteries and paid $300 for a couple of deep-cycle Aux batteries, you are paying a dollar a cycle. If you're running, say, two good #31 batteries, you don't want to go below 30% charge (to keep from killing the batteries), you'll have about 200 ampere-hours you can use each cycle. Sounds like a lot but the fridge (at 7AH consumption x 24 hours) will use 85% of that each day.
Assuming you can get maybe 300 cycles out of the batteries, you will be paying about 40 cents per Kilowatt-hour just for the energy storage costs, about triple what I pay at home for grid power. It will add up.
Go ahead and do what you want but there is a substantial cost savings in burning propane instead of small, low-voltage generation and storage systems. If you're going to buy more solar arrays to reach a full charge then you will spend many hundreds of dollars more. You'll feel good about the electricity but your wallet won't.
There may be other factors we don't know about: Did somebody give you a huge solar array? Are you going to be hauling freight non-stop to keep the batteries charged up? But from our experiences the suggestions run towards burning LP or getting a more efficient refrigerator. I do use mine, DC when driving and LP when away from AC. And it works, sort of. I did the booster fan outside and inside and I think it helps. Maybe. Hard to tell. The beer doesn't get too warm.

Last edited by Dampcamper on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - the 182 is a "vapor absorption-cycle" fridge, not a compressor type. It uses the heater to force a chemical reaction (separation) that when reversed absorbs heat from the interior: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
It is a slow process to get going and if it works at all it's better to keep it going slowly than to try to cycle it on and off like you would a compressor. Thus the constant but relatively low source of heat.
As noted in the article, it is nowhere near as efficient as a "vapor compression" (conventional) system but makes sense in some situations. The jury is still out on whether this includes Westfalia campers.
Compressors are usually way bigger than needed to make up for the heat gain in the fridge, so they cycle on for a while then off until needed again.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking it over, I think I will figure out a way to mount my other 12v fridge. It's not a Truck Fridge, but it's the same size as the TF-65. It's another Dometic, but a 12v/110 compressor model from a sail boat and the thing works like a champ.

I only have about 2 weeks before I'm hitting the road, so it's best I go with what I know works. It's likely a bad idea to try to make the factory fridge work and then ending up with dead batteries..
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a TJ-22? I have a couple of the smaller Dometic TJ-18 models that match up with the smaller TF and Vitrifigo fridges that most people replace their stock fridges with.

Mark

DAV!D wrote:
After thinking it over, I think I will figure out a way to mount my other 12v fridge. It's not a Truck Fridge, but it's the same size as the TF-65. It's another Dometic, but a 12v/110 compressor model from a sail boat and the thing works like a champ......
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: 3-Way Reply with quote

I would cheerily consider replacing the fossil Dometic with a modern, superior 3-way--12 v. /110AC/Propane. To my knowledge, there isn't such. I make do with the stock fridge and Blue Ice.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 3-Way Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I would cheerily consider replacing the fossil Dometic with a modern, superior 3-way--12 v. /110AC/Propane. To my knowledge, there isn't such. I make do with the stock fridge and Blue Ice.

Best!

There are such, but question is about fitment, flue location, etc.
A quick peek on eBay will find you modern dometic and norcold 3-ways...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: