Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Road Trip Westy build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: My Road Trip Westy build Reply with quote

I originally bought a 86 Syncro with the intentions of giving it a good work over and turning it into a road trip camper van. One thing lead to another during that process and I ended up with a 1984 .5 Westy that had a bad engine.

I picked up the van roughly one month ago as a side project while I waited for parts for the syncro, but I ended up making this van my priority and have decided it will be my long term Road Trip van and the Syncro project was put on hold until I get back home sometime before next winter.

I now had a 84 Westy that needed to be on the road ASAP so I could get it ready and leave on a cross country road trip sometime the beginning of March.. That's roughly 1.5 months after I bought it...

Lets get busy...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what it looked like the day I brought it home. The van has a auto transmission and a 1.9 wbx but the problem is they were in pieces sitting inside on the floor.. Shocked

Among the loot inside the van, was a pair of brand new AMC heads, the 1.9, brand new std size jugs and pistons and a engine gasket kit. I needed to get everything.. from the van floor to the empty place in the trunk...

After a lot of going back and forth, I opted to use the short block from my Syncro. The 1.9 had been sitting open for quite a while and I didn't feel good about putting it back together with out checking the bottom end and I just didn't have time to wait for a bearing kit.

I knew my 2.1 was good but it suffered from a bad set of heads. I ended up putting the new AMC heads on the 2.1 and using the 1.9 cooling and fuel injection system.

This is the engine put back together and bolted up to the automatic and ready to be put in the van.

Two days later and lots of problem solving, the engine was in and running. I had to swap out the 1.9 ECU & fuel injection because something had gone bad and I couldn't get it running. Rather than trouble shoot and order stuff, I opted to use 2.1 ECU, harness, distributor and throttle body..

Roughly a week and a half after pulling the van to my dad's place and borrowing his shop, the Westy was running and had survived it's first 100 mile maiden voyage.

continued....

Last edited by DAV!D on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting the van running, I had to take a week off the project to do some other things.. but lets take a look inside..

This van is very clean for a 1984 and being 30 years old. The original owner was from Pennsylvania from what I was told, but kept the van garaged during the winters. Meaning the only rust is at the body seam under the camping connections.

The under carriage is completely rust free, but she has a few dings and dents, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Inside I also found the original owners manuals as well as the factory warranty and maintenance log book. Among other things..

DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By this time I've had the van roughly 3 and a half weeks and had been driving the van daily and working out little bugs here and there.

Last Monday I was able to get back to my dad's shop and get working on the van once again.. The first order was to install my solar system. I'm planning to live in this van on the road for at least 6 months maybe longer so I need off grid power.

I opted to install 2 x 100 watt panels hooked up to a Morningstar TR-45 charge controller with a Tri-metric RV-2025 battery monitor, tied into a pair of AGM group 31 deep cycle batteries hooked to a 1100 watt inverter.

I put it all together and it works! This is in the shade btw..

I mounted both panels onto twp pieces of 1.5 inch aluminum angle stock and then mounted that to the Westy roof using Z brackets and stainless storm shutter bolts with some decent size washers inside.

Last edited by DAV!D on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching up to where I'm at and roughly having the van a full month. I'm now fine tuning to solar system and been working away little bugs here and there and driving the heck out of the van trying to break it in well.

Both yesterday and today I spent a good amount of time tinting the rear windows with some 02% limo black window tint. I wont be staying at many camp grounds during my trip, so the van has to be as stealth as I can make a Westphalia.

I still have to do the drivers side rear window, but I'm debating about just blacking it out as it's a useless window anyway with the rear closet.

This is pretty much up to date and I'm now trying to work out a few more bugs like the speedo not working and a small water leak, which likely means I'll have to pull the thermostat to fix. Crying or Very sad

Tomorrow though I will likely pull the old fridge and see if I can figure out how to fit the 12 volt fridge I bought for my Syncro.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paint your poptop white though, it's a heat trap like it is.
nice to see it coming along Cool

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: My Road Trip Westy build Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
I originally bought a 86 Syncro with the intentions of giving it a good work over and turning it into a road trip camper van. One thing lead to another during that process and I ended up with a 1984 .5 Westy that had a bad engine.

I picked up the van roughly one month ago as a side project while I waited for parts for the syncro, but I ended up making this van my priority and have decided it will be my long term Road Trip van and the Syncro project was put on hold until I get back home sometime before next winter.

I now had a 84 Westy that needed to be on the road ASAP so I could get it ready and leave on a cross country road trip sometime the beginning of March.. That's roughly 1.5 months after I bought it... Just now reading all of your post, a bit late but i hope u switched the (good) 1.9 rods into the 2.1 eng.

Lets get busy...

This is what it looked like the day I brought it home. The van has a auto transmission and a 1.9 wbx but the problem is they were in pieces sitting inside on the floor.. Shocked

Among the loot inside the van, was a pair of brand new AMC heads, the 1.9, brand new std size jugs and pistons and a engine gasket kit. I needed to get everything.. from the van floor to the empty place in the trunk...

After a lot of going back and forth, I opted to use the short block from my Syncro. The 1.9 had been sitting open for quite a while and I didn't feel good about putting it back together with out checking the bottom end and I just didn't have time to wait for a bearing kit.

I knew my 2.1 was good but it suffered from a bad set of heads. I ended up putting the new AMC heads on the 2.1 and using the 1.9 cooling and fuel injection system.

This is the engine put back together and bolted up to the automatic and ready to be put in the van.

Two days later and lots of problem solving, the engine was in and running. I had to swap out the 1.9 ECU & fuel injection because something had gone bad and I couldn't get it running. Rather than trouble shoot and order stuff, I opted to use 2.1 ECU, harness, distributor and throttle body..

Roughly a week and a half after pulling the van to my dad's place and borrowing his shop, the Westy was running and had survived it's first 100 mile maiden voyage.

continued....
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
paint your poptop white though, it's a heat trap like it is.
nice to see it coming along Cool

Yes, I agree! I like the black top and bottom for a nice scheme, but your going to soak up some heat with the black top.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the headlight mod where you install a relay for each headlight and if the budget allows get the H4 headlights with better bulbs. It is a world of difference and will ease the strain of night driving after a long day. It's safer.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the black top is not my favorite thing about the van. I don't have time to paint it before I go on this trip, so it will have to do. The luggage rack is also a little damaged and needs a bit of fiberglass work before it gets reprinted, so that stuff will have to wait until I get back and then I'll just pain the entire van.

The headlight mod is also something on the wish list for both vans. I can't do it before I leave, but something like that is easy enough to do on the road. I'll be carrying lots of tools with me and a few spare parts. Laughing

Mornymob, I think you forgot to add your post,, Surprised
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Yea, the black top is not my favorite thing about the van. I don't have time to paint it before I go on this trip, so it will have to do.

Just grab a quart of white paint and roll it on. It will take you an hour. You will be miserable in the sun in the summer with a black top. You just need to roll the center section. Like this.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:

The headlight mod is also something on the wish list for both vans. I can't do it before I leave, but something like that is easy enough to do on the road. I'll be carrying lots of tools with me and a few spare parts. Laughing

Dave, it takes about a half hour to install the dual relays. It is easy.
Where are you going anyway?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I just noticed you were in Central Florida. I have a 84 Westy in Daytona Beach I'm stripping for parts. I think I still have the white pop top left. Are you interested. I pretty much have it stripped of everything, but I'm going to be there this weekend pulling the engine and tranny and everything else I haven't taken yet! Are you interested?

[/img]
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
DAV!D wrote:

Dave, it takes about a half hour to install the dual relays. It is easy.
Where are you going anyway?

Well I'm heading West at first, with a destination of Tx as I want to check out Austin for a bit and see a friend in Dallas. After that depending on the weather I plan to troll around the south west for a bit and see some of the sights.

After that it's to Cali and eventually up the coast once it starts warming up to the PNW. I might stop off and work for a bit in the Dakotas or where ever I find some quick cash, so I don't deplete my savings too badly.

I'm just pretty much going with a rough plan and seeing where I end up. I'm using the trip as an adventure to see the country and also get my web business kickstarted again.

Eventually sometime before it gets cold again, I'll end up back in FL and working on my Syncro. Very Happy

Btw I'll PM you about that Westy.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another update. .

I took the Westy back to my dad's place on Tuesday and started the mad dash of getting things done. I had a few things I needed to resolve, the headlights were no longer working, the speedometer cable needed to be replaced and I needed to sort out how I would install the 12v fridge.

The speedo was basic enough and I replaced the cable with a new unit from Gowesty. The headlights took a bit of figuring out, but in the end after checking everything possible I realized the lights were actually burnt out.. Embarassed

How both lights burnt out at the same time is beyond me, but for now they work and if they burn out again it will mean something else is causing it.

As for the fridge I'll cover that in my next post as I'm still working on it, but I did do some other fun stuff.. I decided to put my all terrain tires and CLK rims from the Syncro on the Westy as a temp solution I used some 7mm spacers on the front with none in the rear.

Everything fits ok, but I can't put the center caps on and it sags a bit in the rear. I had some polyurethane board and started cutting some doughnuts. Six of them to be exact.

The installation took about a hour and a half. Instead of loosening the trailing arms as I've seen others do, I opted to remove the shocks and unbolt one half of the CV axle. This allowed the trailing arm to lower enough to get the spring out and the doughnut spacers in.

After everything was back together the van was looking much better and the ride height was evened out and presto almost instant pre runner..

I'll follow up with some pictures of the fridge unit once it's completed, but things are getting down to the wire, I'm planning to hit the road either Monday or Tuesday so I'll be doing some work to wrap things up while on the road.

This has been a pretty fast build for me, but the van has come a long way and about a month and a half.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your clearance on the front tire and the front of the fender? Looks close, but it's all black background to see.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
What's your clearance on the front tire and the front of the fender? Looks close, but it's all black background to see.

It's not quite as bad as it looks in the picture, but it is likely close enough to rub at certain spots if the suspension is compressed and the wheel is turned at the right angle.

I'm bringing quite a few tools with me on my road trip and one of those is my cordless sawzall. If I need to trim the inside of the fender lip I'll be able to do it, if it presents a issue.

DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build isn't 100% finished, but I hit the road today regardless. The van still has a few "quirks" but overall It's doing ok.. One problem though is the brand new speedo cable I just installed has already stopped working.

The clip at the front wheel hub is still in place and I unhooked it at the dash and put it back on to make sure it didn't just unclip, but didn't seem to help.

Anyway I stopped off in Gainesville here i FL and plan to see the Devils Mill Hopper before I head over to the left side of the state, to enjoy some white sandy beaches..
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying your thread and hope your trip goes well. Could you share the tire size on your CLKs

Thanks

Hans
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying your thread and hope your trip goes well. Could you share the tire size on your CLKs

Thanks

Hans
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:

Thanks

Hans

They are Hankook Dynamo Pros in 225/70/16. I bought the tires for my Syncro, but since it was going to be sitting for awhile I decided to use them on the Westy. Likely bigger than I would have chosen for a 2wd, but they fit and seem to do ok on this van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: