Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone using this exhaust
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone is running this exhaust? Just want to know if it’s loud and how does it fit?

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3425
57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

Don't use the EMPI version it has thin flanges that I had trouble sealing up.

I switched to the Tri-mil looks the same, same price but thicker flanges and better made.
https://socalautoparts.com/shop/exhaust/street/exh...-coated-2/
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

X2...not TOO loud but louder than stock. I like mine Cool

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

You are better off with a 4 into 1 header and these are available and have the ground clearance you need and exit through the bumper as well...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...rds=header
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ds=exhaust
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

I purchased my '74 with the ceramic coated version of this exhausted installed by a previous owner. I like the way it looks (very clean) but it is not what I would consider to be quiet. Couple of other considerations...

Everything I've read about the EMPI painted exhausts is that although they're decent and relatively cheap they rust out within just a few years. I purchased the EMPI painted version for my Vanagon and it seems to be rusting fast despite re-spraying it with high temp Rustoleum. For this reason you may want to spend the extra bucks and buy the ceramic coated version.

I'm not sure if you can run this type of exhaust with stock heater boxes. I just have stainless steel j-tubes on mine (again by previous owner) so no heat but since I store my Thing in the winter months this is not an issue for me.
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input. I will stay away from Empi, going to go just painted black with J tubes, and the 4 into 1 headed is a bit pricy. I building a ratty lowed thing on a budget
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

I have the EMPI ceramic coated version including the j tubes on my 73. Definitely not quiet but it sounds decent and it looks good. My only complaint would be the way the exhaust tips fasten on. They use two bolts to try to squeeze the tips onto the inlet tube. They are not heavy duty and the clamping rings are flimsy and don’t have a very strong weld. The bolts are also very hard to get to. Overall I’m satisfied. As mentioned don’t buy the painted version.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

Would one of these work?
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-35067
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

If you have a single carb and drive in the cold, be aware that the hot dog style exhaust has very poor preheat, I run one.
If you don’t want to go the header route, check out the Vintage Speed exhaust
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

Confusing advice ^^^. Vintage Speed's Thing exhaust has no heat risers at all- and is a muffler- not a header system. I cant think of a worse Thing exhaust for a car that requires preheat. A single stock Thing carb does great with preheat tubes- it's the Weber that works horribly with no preheat accommodation.

And the Empi-looking thing doesn't exit the bumper- therefore is not for Things.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
liawoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

That's the exhaust I am running the tips are directional I do not have the holes in my bumper I have them pointed down. It's a tad loud but not bad so far I like it. The stock exhaust was not on the thing when I purchased it and never ran it with what was on it but I did notice the bumper gets hot I don't know if that's normal or not for the placement of the exhaust and the standard location of the bumper.
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Confusing advice ^^^. Vintage Speed's Thing exhaust has no heat risers at all

Ummm Yes they Do Confused
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using this exhaust Reply with quote

Shaven wrote:
hitest wrote:
Confusing advice ^^^. Vintage Speed's Thing exhaust has no heat risers at all

Ummm Yes they Do Confused

Yeah, it appears now on the website they do offer the option. So ummm they do. Confused

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: