Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Bug as First Car
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would You Let Your New Driver Daughter Drive a Bug (with some upgrades)
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 112

beartoothweb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

We found a great deal on a 63 Bug, so we bought it with the anticipation of restoring it for my daughter. She's 14 now, so we have a year and a half or so.

I started thinking more about the safety issue with the car, and wondering if it's just too dangerous for a new driver. There are a lot of big trucks and SUV's in our area, and the driver's aren't great. I'm more worried about her being plowed by some big truck than her having a wreck from being a new driver.

I had already planned on doing a disc brake conversion, and adding at least 3-point seat belts. I know you can add a cage inside for extra protection, but that does make a big difference in the look, of course.

I drive a 65 Cobra replica, which is fast as hell and has no side impact protection (unless you count my arm being protection for my chest), so I am not risk avoiding.

I'm interested in hearing from other DD's of these cars and if you'd let your wife/girlfriend/daughter, etc. drive one on a regular basis? I know you can't predict what will happen.

Our other option is to go with something like a 10 year old Honda that would at least have more airbags, but I'm still not sure that would ultimately make any difference.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A = A 63 Beetle will not do well in a collision with a huge SUV.

B = Teen age drivers are more likely to be involved in a collision.

So A + B = C

C = Crash

The car I let my kids share when they got their license was a 1999 Accord 4 door. You're more likely to survive a collision in a larger car with airbags and a better safety record.

beartoothweb wrote:
I drive a 65 Cobra replica, which is fast as hell and has no side impact protection (unless you count my arm being protection for my chest), so I am not risk avoiding.

Are you a better driver than a 16 year old girl?

Risking your like is a lot different than risking your kids life.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kami_sn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no, altough I started myself with a 74 super-beetle, but in my case I lived in a city with small cars, with speed limits in 40s and all city driving. That car you got may be OK for her to do some weekend driving but not for a daily drive.

my choice would be a mini van Wink
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

My wife and I faced the same dilemma a few years back. My daughter wanted a bug but we decided that for numerous reasons a used "new Beetle" (I know, blasphemy) would be a better choice. It especially paid off when she went to college some 300 miles away from home. She still loves her "Little Bastard" (big you-know-who fan)--no regrets. We're still thinking of getting a '60-'65 bug some time down the road as a kick back car but as a daily driver for a first time pilot, I would recommend against it. If you do get the '63, use it as a weekend warrior. Just my $0.02. Good luck-- Smile
beartoothweb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!

No minivans...they are an abomination. ;->

My wife actually drives an 03 Vert (which actually is one of the worst cars we've ever owned, it's a bit of a lemon), so a new beetle might be an option.

My first car was an 84 Honda Civic, and it was a great little car (not much safer than a bug.)

We live in a Rural area, but lots of highway driving to get to "town", so that would be an issue.

I had already told her I thought we should do a little bit to the bug then sell it and buy a safer car. Now, just have to find something that she might like.

Thanks in advance for all of the comments!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen says a 63 Beetle will not do well in a collision with a huge SUV. He is right, but the reality is that a 63 VW will not do well in a collision with ANYTHING!

Unlike video games, with a classic Beetle you don’t get to start over again once you have an oops.

Your daughter is 14 and may express interest in the car and working on it now, but that interest may not last more then a couple days once the actual work begins and boys start hanging around.

If you want to do the car, do it with the intention of doing it for yourself. That way if or when your daughter looses interest the project won’t come to a halt.

If she sticks with it all the way through and still has interest in the car then it can be a nice toy for her to enjoy. But her principle mode of transportation should be something else.

That being said, I did a lot of crazy stuff with my VW’s over the years and I’m still here. But I never hit anything or had anything else hit me real hard either.

I will say when I saw these pictures a few years back it did give me a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about all the things I did. I was fortunate to last this long!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote to wait. Let her crunch a 5-10 year old Toyota or Honda, THEN see if she still wants a Bug. By then you can turn it into a reliable daily driver. Make it a graduation present.

The real question then becomes where she will be living... these cars require owners to be mechanics as well, in order to stay safe and reliable. If she's with you, no problem. If she's a few hundred miles away, this is not a good choice, since there a few auto repair shops that can fix them.

Depending on other drivers and road conditions, the lack of safety in the car's design may or may not be relevant. In the suburbs, at low speed, and if she watches out for T-bones at intersections, it's not a bad choice. Open highway, bad weather, aggressive drivers... that's not a good recipe for an old Bug.

The only way I'd let my child drive an old VW would be if they lived with me so I could be the mechanic, and if they commuted locally without dangerous drivers. That's pretty rare these days.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend it for primary transportation. Maybe engage in a parent/kid project that can be enjoyed periodically together, and, in truth, the more occasional the car is driven, the more special it seems. I know looking back I wish I'd focused on something other than VWs during my teen years; I truly regret the level of obsession I held for the VW hobby at that time and even into my college years.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beartoothweb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some reasonably cool small safer car recommendations?

She's paying for her own car (we match 1:1), so we're hoping for $4000-5000.

I'm thinking early 2000's Honda's, Audi A4, etc. I've had a couple of Jeeps, but the mileage is horrendous.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son just turned 16 and while I wanted to get him something that would get good gas mileage, safety rules. Odds are he'll be involved in a wreck sometime and I would rather pay for the gas now than worry about saving gas money. When he is older and can afford a new vehicle, it will be his decision. But for now, safety first. (Even though my first transportation was a motorcyle and then a 1970 bug...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention its a vw and if you don't have a good mechanical mind as a driver. You as a dad will end up getting phone calls where she is broke down somewhere or it wont start.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two daughters were raised to be very responsible, got good grades in school, always came home every night.

They both totaled their first cars within a couple of years of getting them, each of them after one year of college, one in a near head-on collision with an SUV one block from home, one in a collision with a lamp pole after avoiding another car.

They were both driving old Toyota Corollas. They both came away with no injuries.

That's two for two. 'Nuff said as far as I'm concerned.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
johnhous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't count how many times I have been cut off in my 68 ghia by big SUVs and trucks who could not see me. Fortunately for me I had disk breaks up front. Driving my 63 bug around the foothills of L.A. I'm always being cut off by tiny Honda's or Toyota's weaving in and out of traffic expecting me to stop on a dime. Unfortunately my 50 year old technology can't match theirs. I drive my bug like I would drive a motorcycle, very defensively and always looking out for someone to do something stupid like short stop on a yellow light. Unless your daughter currently rides a superbike I would advise against it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Damian Gomez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a 17 year old male driver with a 63' lap belts that I only use on the freeway(because its the law) I feel pretty safe in my bug.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: 1963 Bug as First Car Reply with quote

Hi spot,
Where in "Ca" do you live? LA, Alturas, or...? What might work in one part of our lovely state might not work so well in others (405 anyone?). Just curious. Cool
eggman95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's trouble waiting to happen.
I voted no for two reasons:

1) Even a low speed accident can cause serious harm in a Beetle.

2) Young drivers make mistakes (we have all been there). Isn't it better to make a mistake and ding up a slightly used car, rather than a 51 year old classic? We are trying to keep these cars alive and well.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot962447 wrote:
I'm a 17 year old male driver with a 63' lap belts that I only use on the freeway(because its the law) I feel pretty safe in my bug.

That's because you're 17. See Glenn's post above. You are not even remotely safe in a bug, how you feel is irrelevant. You can be the safest driver in the world, but you're in a tuna can.

I learned to drive in my 67, burned through about a dozen bugs in my misguided youth, and survived to have grey hair. But that doesn't mean it's a safe car, I just got lucky and there were few idiots texting at 70 MPH then.

No F'ing way I'd let my son drive my bug every day. He can drive my 96 Impala SS, that's a road crushing tank of a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Damian Gomez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

209 near the Modesto area,
Damian Gomez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and my cousin was hit head on by an suv in his 65, he was prepared for it but his passenger wasn't and they both walked out just fine
johnhous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is probably a good reason vw changed from a single circuit master cylinder, drum brakes in a 63, to later dual circuit and disk brakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: