Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Bug as First Car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would You Let Your New Driver Daughter Drive a Bug (with some upgrades)
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 36 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 76 ]
Total Votes : 112

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortride wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I remember reading that article. The guy in the truck was going the wrong way on a one way street. He wasn't hurt. The guy in the beetle didn't make it, and he just got the beetle back from being restored. Never had time to enjoy it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

I remember reading that article. The guy in the truck was going the wrong way on a one way street. He wasn't hurt. The guy in the beetle didn't make it, and he just got the beetle back from being restored. Never had time to enjoy it.

If that was a new Toyota or Honda or other small or mid-size car, I don't think the driver would of survived that either. Don't get me wrong, the bug didn't have a chance but...I know a lot of cars w/air bags and crumple zones wouldn't of protected their driver in this accident either.

We had our F-650 rollback at my old place of work hit a 2008 Ford Mustang almost head on. The driver of the rollback was doing 40-45 when the Mustang driver wasn't paying attention and turned in front of the truck. I went to the accident scene and viewing what remained of the Mustang made be shocked that she survived it. I heard from the policeman that she had life threatening injuries. She did survive but will have permanent disabling injuries the rest of her life.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

If that was a new Toyota or Honda or other small or mid-size car, I don't think the driver would of survived that either. Don't get me wrong, the bug didn't have a chance but...I know a lot of cars w/air bags and crumple zones wouldn't of protected their driver in this accident either.

We had our F-650 rollback at my old place of work hit a 2008 Ford Mustang almost head on. The driver of the rollback was doing 40-45 when the Mustang driver wasn't paying attention and turned in front of the truck. I went to the accident scene and viewing what remained of the Mustang made be shocked that she survived it. I heard from the policeman that she had life threatening injuries. She did survive but will have permanent disabling injuries the rest of her life.

I disagree... I wouldn't make a blanket statement that the driver wouldn't have survived in a much newer car, in fact I would bet he would have, albeit perhaps with some degree of injuries. A beetle is like a beer can; can't say that about most modern compacts.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

I disagree... I wouldn't make a blanket statement that the driver wouldn't have survived in a much newer car, in fact I would bet he would have, albeit perhaps with some degree of injuries. A beetle is like a beer can; can't say that about most modern compacts.

I hate seeing that particular picture often brought up when discussing the safety or lack thereof in the old Beetle. From numerous accidents that I've had the displeasure of seeing or hearing the results of, I whole-heartedly agree with the statement that even in a modern similar-sized car as the old Beetle you would be just as likely to die or suffer serious injury in that kind of wreck... crumple zones, air bags, and all the new whizz-bang safety designs and doodads are still rather impotent when faced with the large disparity in physics present in a collision between a compact car and full size truck or SUV.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

I hate seeing that particular picture often brought up when discussing the safety or lack thereof in the old Beetle. From numerous accidents that I've had the displeasure of seeing or hearing the results of, I whole-heartedly agree with the statement that even in a modern similar-sized car as the old Beetle you would be just as likely to die or suffer serious injury in that kind of wreck... crumple zones, air bags, and all the new whizz-bang safety designs and doodads are still rather impotent when faced with the large disparity in physics present in a collision between a compact car and full size truck or SUV.

one more argument at to why inexperienced and poor drivers should only drive light weight underpowered cars. when they wreck, these smaller low powered cars will be less likely to kill an innocent person.
Inexperienced and poor drivers should never be allowed to drive a huge vehicle, or one with lots of power and speed potential. Keep the public safe and get your kid to learn to drive in the bug, only after she has demonstrated the required skills and maturity should she be allowed large and/or powerful car. Teens and poor drivers kill a huge number of innocents every year.
Really poor drivers should be only allowed to drive cars with no doors, nor seatbelts, max weight of 800 lbs and max power of 15 Hp. That would drastically cut automotive deaths for all.

I bet we all can come up with horrible crash photos with firemen present of wrecked SUV's that make that Bug crash shown look survivable by comparison.
You can get into a lot of trouble at 100 mph in a SUV easily, you cant really do that speed in a stock Bug. A 100 mph SUV can kill and maim many more people that a stock Bug at max speed. Entire innocent families have been wiped out when their car is hit by a teen or poor driver of a SUV. Had that teen or poor driver been in a Bug many lives could have been saved.

Don't put your daughter in a Huge road tank that has such killing potential. These huge, high powered, large wheel vehicles can go right though buildings and kill dozens of innocents.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the survey about letting your daughter drive an old vw...what about those of us that have sons? In my case two sons, both teenagers, both drive my '66 on occasion, but not as their primary daily driver. I agree it's risky, and I worry each time they drive it. But these old bugs are just so much fun to drive, how can I say no?
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
mukluk wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

one more argument at to why inexperienced and poor drivers should only drive light weight underpowered cars. when they wreck, these smaller low powered cars will be less likely to kill an innocent person.
Inexperienced and poor drivers should never be allowed to drive a huge vehicle, or one with lots of power and speed potential. Keep the public safe and get your kid to learn to drive in the bug, only after she has demonstrated the required skills and maturity should she be allowed large and/or powerful car. Teens and poor drivers kill a huge number of innocents every year.
Really poor drivers should be only allowed to drive cars with no doors, nor seatbelts, max weight of 800 lbs and max power of 15 Hp. That would drastically cut automotive deaths for all.

I bet we all can come up with horrible crash photos with firemen present of wrecked SUV's that make that Bug crash shown look survivable by comparison.
You can get into a lot of trouble at 100 mph in a SUV easily, you cant really do that speed in a stock Bug. A 100 mph SUV can kill and maim many more people that a stock Bug at max speed. Entire innocent families have been wiped out when their car is hit by a teen or poor driver of a SUV. Had that teen or poor driver been in a Bug many lives could have been saved.

Don't put your daughter in a Huge road tank that has such killing potential. These huge, high powered, large wheel vehicles can go right though buildings and kill dozens of innocents.

The whole concept of assigning specific types of cars based on a driver's level of skill is pretty ridiculous... too many variables and completely hypothetical. I do agree with the underlying message that modern car designs are basically protecting us from ourselves. I mean, really, we need video screens on the dash to save us from looking behind to see if someone's approaching as we back up? Gimme a break. Laughing

Mike Judge called it in his movie Idiocracy: that's where we're headed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
mukluk wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

The whole concept of assigning specific types of cars based on a driver's level of skill is pretty ridiculous... too many variables and completely hypothetical. I do agree with the underlying message that modern car designs are basically protecting us from ourselves. I mean, really, we need video screens on the dash to save us from looking behind to see if someone's approaching as we back up? Gimme a break. Laughing

Actually we already have this "ridiculous" law on the book in California that restrict a class one driver (standard automotive driver license) form driving an 18 wheeler big rig. some how it makes sense to require a greater level of training and experience to drive a big rig than a small car. with the huge SUV's and huge powerful motors available, it may be wise to keep poor drivers out of them, as they have a potential for greater carnage on the public when driven poorly.

few would say it would be wise to allow a new driver to be given the keys to a Ferrari. the potential of that car getting the better of a new driver is much higher than a little stick shift econo car. same with a huge suv.

Since young drivers and poor drivers have a higher chance of crashing, we should take steps to minimize the harm they cause to others. we can do this by reducing the speed they can drive and the mass of the vehicle.

I was hit by a repeat chronic poor driver who had numerous at fault crashes. she hit me while she was driving a SUV. had she been driving a 800 lbs vehicle with 15 Hp my injuries would have not occurred, my car would not have been totaled (her SUV only had a dented bumper after rear ending my little car) She allowed herself to be distracted and failed to stop at a red light, she looked down to pick up a spilled drink while on an expressway. idiot should not be allowed to drive big powerful cars. you might as well give first grade kids hand grenades to play with, it is about as smart as allowing idiot to drive big powerful vehicles.
we restrict big rig drivers to special licenses already, maybe time we do likewise with larger or powerful cars. until you prove your responsible.

If you have a record of fault accidents I don't want you driving a tank around at high speed. too damn dangerous to the public.

similar is done in aviation, you can get a single engine license, a multi engine license, visual flight rule license, instrument license, etc...

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd66 wrote:
I guess I should be throw in jail for child abuse according to this forum. My daughter has been driving the 66 I built for her, and I am building another 66 with my son for when he turns 16 next year. I just find it so funny all of the stories that are told of how people on this forum were in horrendous accidents when they were teenagers in their bugs and walked away. Therefore bugs are unsafe? Don't get me wrong, I am not ignorant. I understand about all of the safety features in cars-airbags, crumples zones etc. If my teenagers were having to drive on the freeway I might reconsider, but to condemn the whole idea of driving one of these fun cars because people have died in them seems ridiculous. Kids die riding bicycles, walking down the street, riding skateboards, hell in their sleep. It seem the main concern of some on this sight is the car getting hurt. It is a hunk of metal built by man. It is not a divine creation! Rolling Eyes

I think you're being a bit dramatic. I drove air cooled cars from 16 on also and I've had all sorts of things happen. I'm raising a boy and I'm certainly not coddling him. We are going to build an aircooled car for him if he wants to, but it probably won't be his primary mode of transportation. I bought a squareback for my first car out of necessity. My son is already wild and we are about ready to put him in a gokart because he wants to race them. However... if I can give him a bit more safety when driving with SUV's and such all around him I will. It's hardly putting bubble wrap around him. You're right in that kids do die all the time, but does that mean I should shrug my shoulders and just let it fly?

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
mukluk wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
shortride wrote:

Actually we already have this "ridiculous" law on the book in California that restrict a class one driver (standard automotive driver license) form driving an 18 wheeler big rig. some how it makes sense to require a greater level of training and experience to drive a big rig than a small car. with the huge SUV's and huge powerful motors available, it may be wise to keep poor drivers out of them, as they have a potential for greater carnage on the public when driven poorly.

few would say it would be wise to allow a new driver to be given the keys to a Ferrari. the potential of that car getting the better of a new driver is much higher than a little stick shift econo car. same with a huge suv.

Since young drivers and poor drivers have a higher chance of crashing, we should take steps to minimize the harm they cause to others. we can do this by reducing the speed they can drive and the mass of the vehicle.

I was hit by a repeat chronic poor driver who had numerous at fault crashes. she hit me while she was driving a SUV. had she been driving a 800 lbs vehicle with 15 Hp my injuries would have not occurred, my car would not have been totaled (her SUV only had a dented bumper after rear ending my little car) She allowed herself to be distracted and failed to stop at a red light, she looked down to pick up a spilled drink while on an expressway. idiot should not be allowed to drive big powerful cars. you might as well give first grade kids hand grenades to play with, it is about as smart as allowing idiot to drive big powerful vehicles.
we restrict big rig drivers to special licenses already, maybe time we do likewise with larger or powerful cars. until you prove your responsible.

If you have a record of fault accidents I don't want you driving a tank around at high speed. too damn dangerous to the public.

similar is done in aviation, you can get a single engine license, a multi engine license, visual flight rule license, instrument license, etc...

Laughing Oh, Jesus... anything for an argument. Lol. I'm sorry, but while it may seem like a realistic notion, it's not a perfect world. This type of "scheduled" vehicle assignment reeks of a form of communism... but it would certainly make for a hilarious part of a satire/parody on American car culture. I have to express gratitude for that, because I don't think I could have thought up such a high-quality literary concept.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]
[/img]
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno...I see a third car behind those two... Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
I dunno...I see a third car behind those two... Laughing

I’m not too sure about the accuracy of that statement either.
Or if the picture goes with the statement.
But the message sort of hits the spot here regarding no matter how careful or how much experience you have.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: i voted yes Reply with quote

My Dad bought me this 1965 bug in 1966 and in 1967, I hit a telephone pole... no one was seriously injured...a VW bug is a great first car. They are safer than one might think.
After he had it repaired, I used it until I handed it to my younger brother in 1972.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the old head to the windshield trip to me!
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: i voted yes Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
My Dad bought me this 1965 bug in 1966 and in 1967, I hit a telephone pole... no one was seriously injured...a VW bug is a great first car. They are safer than one might think.
After he had it repaired, I used it until I handed it to my younger brother in 1972.

I'm guessing your 65 had only lap belts and were you wearing them?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: The thing we aren't saying... Reply with quote

Is that, in our hobbie, we have all seen what has happened due to poor driving, no matter whose fault.

I believe every drivers education course in America should start at an automobile graveyard. This way, the teenager's innate sense of invulnerability and the "it could never happen to me" attitude is directly challenged by physical proof that car accidents do happen, and lives are at stake.

I further believe, if we have been diligent parents in our hobbie, we have taken our progeny with us on trips to the auto graveyard not on,y for cheap car parts, but also for the educational opportunities.

As far as my personal experience goes, my 74 beetle was in three crashes. The third was a tbone caused by I attentive driving and an olds cutlass cruising at 55 mph.

I have also had the misfortune to be in wrecks in modern cars. You can't deny that, while they are engineering them to be safer, they are also engineering them to be more costly to repair or easier to total out in the event of a wreck.

The car industry has no vested interest in reliable, inexpensive, easy to repair and maintain, and accident durable vehicles. Such cars would eventually flood the market, thereby lessening demand for newer models.

So, I've picked three out of those four criteria and picked up a 66 beetle. Of course, on any given day, those criteria it meets changes Wink

Tats really all I ave to say on this.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
richie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my kids own vintage beetles except my daughter.....and hers will be here soon. My oldest has a killer baja and will start driving in June. They will all start driving in them.....Skateboards, bicycles, rollerblades.......Yer kids ride their bikes on the side of the road????
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven air cooled VWs for 25 years as dailies and continue to do so to the tune of 20-25,000 miles per year. I put my son and stepkids in them. I have good tires and brakes and 3 point inertial reel belts front and back. I don't drive like a maniac these days, although when I was younger I did and wrecked many a nice VW, regrettably. I can attest first hand that in a roll over, a head on, and side impact, they do better than one would think. In all honesty, sure, they pale in comparison to a modern car. ANY old car would. All one has to do is catch the 59 vs 09 Chevy Impala on YouTube. The 59 got destroyed. In its day the VW was surely as safe if not safer than its competition. VW did pretty rigorous safety testing in the 70s. A pretty in depth investigation into VW safety by Road and Track in response to accusations by Ralph Nader showed the VW came out favorably.

Again, not saying it is safe compared to a new car. But guess what, a ten year old Honda or Toyota is terrible in a crash compared to the newest cars. And if you are in a 50mph head on collision with an Excursion or Escalade and you are in a new compact car, guess what, you are probably getting killed! Sure, VW could not sell the old Beetle in the USA-and safety is one reason of several, but they likely could not sell a Golf 3 or 4 any more for that reason, either. Standards have changed. For ALL cars not just old VWs.

There are certain things one has to do and that is protect their kids, but you can't keep them locked up in the basement for life, either. My son and stepkids skateboard, ride their bikes outside, and yes, take my VWs even on the big scary highway, because one has to live life a bit. People let their kids play football-my 15 year old's dad and mom (my wife) did, and he ended up with a major concussion. On the other hand, I do not let my kids out of my sight for a second when in a store, they buckle up, etc.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it all goes back to how much risk you are willing to accept. My parents wouldn't let me drive when I turned 16 - they thought it was too risky. I don't bungee jump - too risky. I drive a convertible VW on occassion but I realized the other day I don't feel safe on the interstate going 65 in it - too risky. I often don't buy extended insurance/warranties on stuff - I'll accept the risk. I let my kids skateboard, ride bikes, play football, etc. - I'll accept the risk. The stock market and investments - how much risk are you willing to take? But a VW as a first car - I can't handle in my mind the risk involved. Others may and that's okay - it's an individual decision.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: