Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Green Carpet
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tKhager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Green Carpet Reply with quote

Newbie to this while on my 3rd Bay-by. Restoring my current 1977 Sage Green Westfalia. I have searched and cannot find the green carpet that was in the front and still is in the back. Checked all the sellers on line and no one has green. Anybody

Some pics of my green bay project
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interior in remarkably good shape

kkjellquist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not gonna find it new. Check classifieds regularly, put something in your signature line w/ "looking for sage green...."

The black carpet available from Bus Depot looks great IMO. Here it is my 77;

Turtel - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=561195

Pisgah Bus Rally - New Year's Day
http://pisgahbusrally.blogspot.com/
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do find some, please post here, I've been looking for a while too.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old green walk through piece, yummy condition haha! Very Happy
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a classified wanted ad?
(sold - but not forgotten)
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about as unobtanium as it gets. 1 year of searching has turned up nothing useable. Brown, yes. Green ... nope.

FYI, there's an expensive green "repro" from Kieft & Klok available http://www.kieftenklok.nl , but it lacks the proper heel pad on the driver side ( a big, obvious vinyl area) and the edging is sewn, not vinyl.

I challenge ANYONE to find one in useable condition.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is the only one out there. I am presently looking into a local remanufacturing of this here locally. We shall see.

http://www.kieftenklok.net/component/page,shop.pro...8/lang,en/

So what do I get if I find a nice front carpet eche?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that I pulled out of my westy a few months ago when I cleaned up my cab floor. There was a rubber mat on top of it so all the moisture from the past years spent as a daily driver in VT soaked up nicely into heavy rust stains on the bottom and random dark stains on top. Other than that it is in good shape and altogether. I didn't toss it because I read that they are hard to find. Not sure if it could be cleaned or if anyone has a suggestion on cleaning it. Also, could this be useful for someone trying to replicate it? I am not positive but I believe it is all original. You can see some pics of my interior in my gallery, I believe the rear carpet is original as well. Most of the interior looks to be untouched(other than the headliner which I re-covered in marine vinyl, had OG cracked and yellowed vinyl/plastic covering the birch).

Edit: just checked that link, mine looks much different, the color is off.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
bignick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried for a few years to sell a rear carpet and the piece between the seats. I think I had $10 on it at the swap meets but no one ever wanted it. It wasn't in perfect shape, a little faded and had some stains on it, but then again, I never tried to really clean it. I think it got tossed this past fall because it was funky old carpet sitting in my garage... Wished I had known it was needed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JP Moore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also gave up searching for original in good shape. I used a friend that is in the commercial flooring business to find a close match. This is what i decided to used. Ended up having enough to have "mats" that cover the entire carpet area.

It is more yellow than the original but looks really good in the bus.

Mohawk - Nylon Loop - 7652 Spring Leaf

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
I have one that I pulled out of my westy a few months ago when I cleaned up my cab floor. There was a rubber mat on top of it so all the moisture from the past years spent as a daily driver in VT soaked up nicely into heavy rust stains on the bottom and random dark stains on top. Other than that it is in good shape and altogether. I didn't toss it because I read that they are hard to find. Not sure if it could be cleaned or if anyone has a suggestion on cleaning it. Also, could this be useful for someone trying to replicate it? I am not positive but I believe it is all original. You can see some pics of my interior in my gallery, I believe the rear carpet is original as well. Most of the interior looks to be untouched(other than the headliner which I re-covered in marine vinyl, had OG cracked and yellowed vinyl/plastic covering the birch).

Edit: just checked that link, mine looks much different, the color is off.

Your original color was closer to the link. Time, grime and lots of sun fade give you what you have now. Original colors can be seen under the back seat and cabinet - once removed. Wink

BusterBrown took the plunge and bought some.

The original one does vary a bit - it is over 30 year old technology that made it and the carpet industry has come a long way since then. The best way I can describe the original color is an avocado with gold highlight.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand why the company that reproduced the green carpet did not put the correct green vinyl on the exterior edges. For what they are trying to charge for it this was a HUGE oversight in my opinion. I could deal without the heel pad, but the threaded piping looks like shite.
bignick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I can't understand why the company that reproduced the green carpet did not put the correct green vinyl on the exterior edges. For what they are trying to charge for it this was a HUGE oversight in my opinion. I could deal without the heel pad, but the threaded piping looks like shite.

Its a matter of the equipment. They have the equipment to bind the edges with thread and not the vinyl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Yes this is the only one out there. I am presently looking into a local remanufacturing of this here locally. We shall see.

http://www.kieftenklok.net/component/page,shop.pro...8/lang,en/

So what do I get if I find a nice front carpet eche?

You get my un-dieing praise, the opportunity to take my money, and the knowledge that you helped reduce the entropy inside our Westy! Wink
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I would of been happy with a good beer and maybe a Carne Asada Burrito Razz

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm going to open myself up here...but I have a useable original with which I don't mind parting. It's green (of course), original and from my '75 and saw 150K miles of wear...but I'm fine with repro (and not exact colors) when I get around to replacing my carpet. It's a little dirty, a little worn and has already had some errant threads trimmed from it. I'd offer it up as a complete package with my very nice, uncut, original green door panels and the rest of the carpet, but I'm still using all of those.

I can post pics...sounds like a number of people might want to compete or make an offer for it. If this is one of those things you can't live without (I switched to the rubber mat and like it better...the green carpet wouldn't have lasted long anyway with the amount I use the Camper now) then PM me with your offer.

Jason, if you want it your offer will need to include a scan of that awesome paper model Wink

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP Moore wrote:
I also gave up searching for original in good shape. I used a friend that is in the commercial flooring business to find a close match. This is what i decided to used. Ended up having enough to have "mats" that cover the entire carpet area.

It is more yellow than the original but looks really good in the bus.

Hey, I like that!
Would this be a special order type thing?
Do you mind if I ask how much you got and what it cost you?

1966 Beetle
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the the green replacement carpet from Kefterclotennnn. It's pretty darn nice but pricey. Was told its carpet from the original stuff Westfalia used. They apparently bought one of the last remaining rolls. At least that's the story I got.
tKhager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Impressed Reply with quote

I cannot believe I have never posted here before. Thanks to all for the replies. I am probably going to go with black carpet and reuse the original in the back. Thanks again to all you greenies
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
So, I'm going to open myself up here...but I have a useable original with which I don't mind parting. It's green (of course), original and from my '75 and saw 150K miles of wear...but I'm fine with repro (and not exact colors) when I get around to replacing my carpet. It's a little dirty, a little worn and has already had some errant threads trimmed from it. I'd offer it up as a complete package with my very nice, uncut, original green door panels and the rest of the carpet, but I'm still using all of those.

I can post pics...sounds like a number of people might want to compete or make an offer for it. If this is one of those things you can't live without (I switched to the rubber mat and like it better...the green carpet wouldn't have lasted long anyway with the amount I use the Camper now) then PM me with your offer.

Jason, if you want it your offer will need to include a scan of that awesome paper model Wink

- Doug Smile

The only thing I think of any value is those door cards. Some of these guys here will pay some $ for them. I have nice straight cards in both my buses - no need to hoard. Cool The rest...... mehh Rolling Eyes

I tell you what, if I get to makin those models - Ill hand out some for free to the peanut gallery for sure. Wet your beaks so to speak before I start charging Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: